Re-Turn Plastic Bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure I fully agree with you here,
The issue is not the logo or the barcode but rather that the Re-Turn machine is not giving a refund on deposit charged products because it simply hasn't been programmed to do so even though we were told at launch that it was
My understanding of barcodes is that they are unique to the product, so if a supermarket is able to update it's pricing on a given date through a barcode well then the machine that is supposed to refund us this deposit charge should be able to do the exact same using the same barcode
500ml coke with ReTurn logo has a different barcode to a 500ml bottle without a ReTurn logo.

Same with almost every other bottle except for a small few that have international barcodes and these are small producers

My guess is it's human error in the store or human error by the supplier or human error by return that barcodes have either been incorrectly added to a pos system for the deposit to be charged or not added to the ReTurn scheme.

Just beware of believing anything you see on social media.

Like anything, 5g, windfarms, vaccines etc, there's a cohort out there that absolutely relish in spreading fear and misinformation.

Thicktok is probably the worst of all and elevates this cohort into the stratosphere.

From what I've seen, the ReTurn fee is listed as a separate item on your receipt. It is not shown as an inclusive price. So for the op it would read €3.15 and then another "item" ReTurn deposit 25c.

And you pay €3.40

It is simple, but the flat earth brigade have put a huge amount of misinformation out there and confused people.

It is a near replica of the Danish system which is proven to be the best. Even the same machines are used.

On a side note Panda bins in Dublin just announced an increase in recycling charges and waste bin charges. Must have been making a nice penny with the aluminium cans and now want to make up for the loss. They increased the charges last year as well.

If you are charged the recycling fee and the cans or bottles do not have the logo, or the machine rejects it how do you get your money back? The shop will say nothing to do with them. Contact the machine supplier.

If you are charged the recycling fee and the cans or bottles do not have the logo, or the machine rejects it how do you get your money back? The shop will say nothing to do with them. Contact the machine supplier.
I'd simply put the product back and have it refunded.

You'd be surprised at how quickly a retailer will correct things if it causes issues.

My guess is it's human error in the store or human error by the supplier or human error by return that barcodes have either been incorrectly added to a pos system for the deposit to be charged or not added to the ReTurn scheme.
You are correct about "human error" except in this case it wasn't an error by the retailer or Re-Turn scheme but my own error of not fully understanding the system in place and how it will operate especially in the transitioning period to June and have made two subsequent posts #27 and #34 to correct my opening post

I'd simply put the product back and have it refunded.

You'd be surprised at how quickly a retailer will correct things if it causes issues.
So basically you are saying to test the machine before you leave the store with your new purchase?

I'd say most of these issues will be ironed out within weeks. The last thing the multiples want is having to deal with cranky customers over a small amount of money.
That small amount of money will add up very quickly. €2 could be someone’s carton of milk or loaf of bread. I have seen many return items as they do not have enough to pay their bill.

That small amount of money will add up very quickly. €2 could be someone’s carton of milk or loaf of bread. I have seen many return items as they do not have enough to pay their bill.
I'm saying it's a small amount of money for a retailer to be having issues with customers over and probably not the best use of staff time. I fully appreciate the value of €2 when cash is tight.

IMG_8995.jpegIMG_8994.jpeg

Purchased these in Lidl on Wednesday and 2x15c deposits shown on receipt. Both containers are clean, dry and undamaged, with detachable tops in place. Dropped them into a RVM in Dunnes yesterday which spat them out with the message "Store does not accept this barcode. Please remove container and dispose of elsewhere"

The barcode 4056489679738 is listed on https://re-turn.ie/consumer/#barcodeChecker

This contradicts the statement on https://re-turn.ie/ "You can return your empty and undamaged drinks container featuring the Re-turn logo to any participating shop or supermarket nationwide regardless of where it was purchased"

Suggests that the barcode database which the RVMs are using isn't being updated frequently/in-realtime, which if it is the case will be a significant issue going forward.

View attachment 8463View attachment 8464

Purchased these in Lidl on Wednesday and 2x15c deposits shown on receipt. Both containers are clean, dry and undamaged, with detachable tops in place. Dropped them into a RVM in Dunnes yesterday which spat them out with the message "Store does not accept this barcode. Please remove container and dispose of elsewhere"

The barcode 4056489679738 is listed on https://re-turn.ie/consumer/#barcodeChecker

This contradicts the statement on https://re-turn.ie/ "You can return your empty and undamaged drinks container featuring the Re-turn logo to any participating shop or supermarket nationwide regardless of where it was purchased"

Suggests that the barcode database which the RVMs are using isn't being updated frequently/in-realtime, which if it is the case will be a significant issue going forward.
Something in theory which should work quite easily, simply doesn't appear to be functioning at all.

I noticed that I had a 6pk of own brand red bull from Aldi and there is no barcode on the individual cans :(
These are probably pre-scheme but I must keep an eye out for the next purchase and see if fee is charged.

When the plastic bag levy came in I was in secondary school working in a grocery shop part-time . You would not believe the reaction from people who were otherwise normal human beings. I was scolded, lectured, harumphed at by everyone from the local dentist to the parish priest to one of my teachers as if I was personally taxing them. On a handful of occasions after I had scanned their full trolley I had customers walk out without paying, leaving everything behind them, because I would not give them free bags. It was high drama for nothing.

Fast forward a couple of months and the vast majority were bringing their own bags. We had piles of empty cardboard boxes that people were keen to use (much easier to carry in my opinion) which the staff were delighted about as it meant we didn't have to break the boxes down and use the compactor which we always expected would maim an employee at some point.

Every new system has teething problems, particularly a national one that involves government, suppliers, retailers, and the general public. Please do not get riled up about a few cent and whatever you do do not take it out on staff or managers who are not in control of any of this.

If it's a mess 6 months from now then fair enough go for gold at Eamon Ryan or whoever is in vogue as the villain of the day but in the mean time just email [email protected] or ring (01) 461 8680 so they have a chance to fix the problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back