Re-Turn Plastic Bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the scheme is not as successful here we should be looking at what is actually different between here and other countries that implemented deposit schemes - which is, we already had kerbside collection of cans and bottles & the lack of manual return providers. The exemption that Ireland set for having to take back returns was very large - a retailer store size of 250 square metres.

Sure just ban them then. Be grand. There'd be no consequences for jobs or anything like that.

It is an inconvenience to current state of play and don't pretend otherwise. And there will be over time some small monetary loss from rejected items, items you aren't able to return for one reason or another even with best efforts to adhere to the scheme.
I never said ban them. You have a choice. People went nuts about the plastic bag tax years ago. Slowly they stopped using them (as much)

I am not pretending it is not inconvenient. Of course it is. However, small adjustments make the inconvenience less inconvenient.

It is inconvenient to have to set a timer on the washing machine to put it on late at night.

It is inconvenient to take the bus rather than drive to work

Small changes in our daily practices make a difference and soon they become the norm.

People here moaning about paying an extra 15 cent for a plastic bottle and the inconvenience of having to return it to get the deposit back? That’s what the nature of a deposit is.

When Dublin bus started refusing to issue change and instead issued change vouchers there was uproar. And rightly so. The only place you could redeem these was in town!

We are not talking about recycling every bottle one at a time. We are not talking about saving them up for a year either.

Most people are creatures of habit and ten to shop in the same places relatively locally. All of these places will probably have a machine to deposit the bottles. Bring them every time you go shopping (same as remembering to bring your reusable bag, same as bringing your glass bottles to the recycling bins).

Much a moan about nothing.

If the scheme is not as successful here we should be looking at what is actually different between here and other countries that implemented deposit schemes - which is, we already had kerbside collection of cans and bottles & the lack of manual return providers. The exemption that Ireland set for having to take back returns was very large - a retailer store size of 250 square metres.
Agree. Once flaws are resolved and given a chance, if it’s not successful it should be looked at . I wonder though if the Irish public would be happy if the results pointed the finger of blame at us rather than the system. Time will tell.

Not everything that works well elsewhere works well in Ireland despite the evidence suggesting it should. Maybe some tweaks are needed.

Not everything that works well elsewhere works well in Ireland despite the evidence suggesting it should. Maybe some tweaks are needed.
True, but I often see it pointed out we copied the same scheme as elsewhere. Implying it is the same in detail. This is deceptive.
At a high level we did but in reality it will be very different due to the lack of manual return options because of the high exemption size.

Goodwill has been lost with the public because we were being told by years the importance of recycling by putting the items in the recycling bin with kerbside collection. Many people diligently did this.
Now we are being told that's wasn't good enough and the merits of doing that were overblown. So people are naturally skeptical of the claims being made from same sources about this system.

Then the initial rollout has been dreadful, incompetent to be honest between Re-turn and retailers and producers. Confusion about what items can be refunded. Many reports of machines out of action. People being charged for deposits for un-returnable items.

Goodwill has been lost with the public because we were being told by years the importance of recycling by putting the items in the recycling bin with kerbside collection. Many people diligently did this.
Well, many as in 28% and falling in the case of plastics.

It's 150 sqm
No, that was the initial proposal.

But it was increased during the consultation because of pushback from affected retailers.

More manual return options would have made the scheme much more convenient for consumers. But the concerns of retailers won out.

But it was increased during the consultation because of pushback from affected retailers.

More manual return options would have made the scheme much more convenient for consumers. But the concerns of retailers won out.

My local centra has one though the floor area isn't much larger than a corner shop.

My local centra has one though the floor area isn't much larger than a corner shop.
Maybe they are in a location where they are selling a lot of cans and bottles. The machines \ maintenance don't come cheap but if you get enough items returned the stores can make money from them (2.2 per item adds up).

It's possible that individual stores or machines may have different policies or interpretations of the transition period. You could consider reaching out to Re-turn directly or checking their official communication channels for clarification on the current acceptance criteria. Additionally, you may want to contact the customer service of Lidl and Dunnes to inquire about their specific policies on returning bottles during this transitional period.

Oh, I hadn't spotted that, thanks.

Your initial statement just mentioned bottles, not cans. Total plastic recycling is significantly lower than the overall packaging recycling rate. With bottles making up such a significant portion of plastics, the numbers don't suggest high rates of recycling. Let's face it, if the recycling rate was anywhere close to the targets they wouldn't have introduced this scheme in the first place.

Pizza boxes:
Your takeaway pizza box can go in the recycling bin, even if it has grease on it. But if there is any part of the box that is contaminated with food, tear it off and place it in the food waste bin.

Coffee cups have a lining that mean they are not recyclable, they are generally compostable and will state such on the side, but really only in commercial composters.

While I'm not a fan of deposit schemes, many other countries have shown them to be successful. What do you think is required reverse falling recycling rates to ensure we meet our targets and avoid fines, and how much would that alternative cost?
Last month every one in my village put their bottles/cans in the green bin and they were all collected as usual.
Next month the same collection of green bins (minus the bottles) will take place but another lorry will also be put on the road to collect the bottles from the shop for this scheme. Where is the logic in that. The supermarkets have bought into this as it is an easy win on their annual reports for sustainability measures - but in reality no extra bottles are being recycled. Green washing at its best.

Maybe they are in a location where they are selling a lot of cans and bottles. The machines \ maintenance don't come cheap but if you get enough items returned the stores can make money from them (2.2 per item adds up).
I wouldn't think they are. It's a rural area,main trade is daily essentials. Then again having one in every store might make strategic sense for a company the size of Musgraves.

Deposit return schemes are very successful in other countries. They also used to be successful in Ireland with glass bottles before that was abandoned.

While the current scheme has its faults at the moment with implementation these should get ironed out over the next few months.
You might iron out issues with the scheme but I won’t get back my lost time…time poor people will just put these cans/bottles into their recycling bin and be done with it…life is to short!!

You might iron out issues with the scheme but I won’t get back my lost time…time poor people will just put these cans/bottles into their recycling bin and be done with it…life is to short!!
well then the only ones who lose out is those individuals. If they put it in a recycling bin that’s great. It still gets recycled. They just lose out on getting their deposit back. I would foresee that situation when someone buys a single bottle, drinks it, and hasn’t got a convenient location to reclaim their 15 cent deposit back. In that case it probably just ends up on the street

I would foresee that situation when someone buys a single bottle, drinks it, and hasn’t got a convenient location to reclaim their 15 cent deposit back. In that case it probably just ends up on the street
These days very few people litter streets with plastic bottles or cans. They just end up in litter bins because most busy town and city streets, parks, walkways etc have litter bins but don't have recycling bins.

These days very few people litter streets with plastic bottles or cans. They just end up in litter bins because most busy town and city streets, parks, walkways etc have litter bins but don't have recycling bins.
You obviously don't live in the countryside. Anytime contractors do some work in the fields the roads are getting littered with empty beer cans and other plastic bottles. The drivers just throw the stuff out their windows- no time to look after it properly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back