Re-Turn Plastic Bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last month every one in my village put their bottles/cans in the green bin and they were all collected as usual.
Next month the same collection of green bins (minus the bottles) will take place but another lorry will also be put on the road to collect the bottles from the shop for this scheme. Where is the logic in that.
Perhaps you could explain how your village is hitting 100% when the country as a whole is only hitting 28% and falling?

but in reality no extra bottles are being recycled. Green washing at its best.
What is unique about Ireland that it won't have the same affect here as it has had in many other countries? It will be quite clear within a year or two as the EPA publish rates annually.

My point stands BTW. What happens in terms of rubbish disposal whenever crowds congregate anywhere?
Most venues have dedicated recycling bins these days, that gets recycled but anything dumped on the ground or in general refuse bins is landfilled or incinerated.

Most is stretching it.
As of last year, waste collection companies are required by law to financially penalise companies that do not adequately segregate waste but man businesses were well ahead of that providing different bins for recyclables and general waste.

Most venues have dedicated recycling bins these days, that gets recycled but anything dumped on the ground or in general refuse bins is landfilled or incinerated.
I try to use them, but sometimes they are not marked very well, and in the confusion of crowds and booze I see all sorts going into all bins. They really need ones with slots so it is obvious it is just cans and plastics bottles.

Is a walkway a venue now....
:rolleyes: Yes of course. Here's one near me. It gets very busy in the summer and often has a coffee van present which also sells the usual range of soft drinks. There were, at least until recently, no recycling bins there.

:rolleyes: Yes of course. Here's one near me. It gets very busy in the summer and often has a coffee van present which also sells the usual range of soft drinks. There were, at least until recently, no recycling bins there.
Perhaps talk to the Tidy Towns, they manage the bins in the car park. The coffee van provide collection points for cups and lids,

Perhaps you could explain how your village is hitting 100% when the country as a whole is only hitting 28% and falling?

What is unique about Ireland that it won't have the same affect here as it has had in many other countries? It will be quite clear within a year or two as the EPA publish rates annually.
You have already said that the 28% is for all plastic, not plastic bottles. You don't know that rate for plastic bottles.
if everyone goes to the bother of putting out a green bin, they are surely putting something into it.
As I said earlier, everyone knows for sure that plastic bottles and drink cans go in the green bin. They may not know or be sure about other stuff but this is simple and on that basis I would be happy to contend that there is none or as close to none that doesn't matter put into the black bin sitting beside the green bin.
The issues with non recycling of bottles/can is an issue outside the home, in transit/commuting etc. The new scheme won't solve that issue

You have already said that the 28% is for all plastic, not plastic bottles. You don't know that rate for plastic bottles.
if everyone goes to the bother of putting out a green bin, they are surely putting something into it.
As I said earlier, everyone knows for sure that plastic bottles and drink cans go in the green bin. They may not know or be sure about other stuff but this is simple and on that basis I would be happy to contend that there is none or as close to none that doesn't matter put into the black bin sitting beside the green bin.
The issues with non recycling of bottles/can is an issue outside the home, in transit/commuting etc. The new scheme won't solve that issue
We produce 1.8-1.9 billion plastic bottles. We recycle 1.1-1.2 Billion.
So 600-800 million go to landfill.

Yeah, it a little inconvenient, but I finally used it today and it was quick and easy and no rejects.

100% agree with this
As a home owner I do my best to recycle and for the most part I think I'm relatively good but as Mrs C reminded me the other day as she was removing the staples from the referendum booklet that I'd thrown in the recycling bin that there's always room for improvement

I cycle a lot around South county Dublin and North Wicklow and am always amazed at how much litter is see around the place and how few litter bins there are now and am especially surprised in high footfall areas where the few bins that can be found are usually overflowing with rubbish.
Should it not be obvious now that rather then beating us with the "Stick" to improve our recycling habits that the Government and Councils should be tempting us with the "Carrot" and start providing us with not just more street general waste bins but also recycling ones as well to help with the issue

I have to say I did this today and it was seamless. Loaded my stored bottles into car on way to do weekly shop.

All bottles scanned fine. Got voucher. Did shop. Scanned voucher. Paid. Left.

It added about 2 minutes onto my shop journey. Machines worked perfectly

Used the machine today for the first time in my local Lidl, with a week's worth of Re-turn branded recyclables (about 2:50 worth). No issues at all, worked smoothly, even with a couple of cans that had gotten the 'Jaws crush'.

It was a mild inconvenience. I'd rather not be paying the deposit and just putting them in the recycle bins as before, but I understand that loads of people have just not been bothering and that there is a need to incentivise. Bad for me, but I can live with it if it moves the needle in the right direction. I've been amazed for decades now by people's refusal to recycle, or just dump recylcable stuff everywhere, including in their black bins.

Forgot to redeem the voucher against my subsequent purchases! But it's still in my pocket, it will eventually get used.

Used the machine today for the first time in my local Lidl, with a week's worth of Re-turn branded recyclables (about 2:50 worth). No issues at all, worked smoothly, even with a couple of cans that had gotten the 'Jaws crush'.

It was a mild inconvenience. I'd rather not be paying the deposit and just putting them in the recycle bins as before, but I understand that loads of people have just not been bothering and that there is a need to incentivise. Bad for me, but I can live with it if it moves the needle in the right direction. I've been amazed for decades now by people's refusal to recycle, or just dump recylcable stuff everywhere, including in their black bins.

Forgot to redeem the voucher against my subsequent purchases! But it's still in my pocket, it will eventually get used.
Use that voucher soon... I wouldn't trust the ink on those receipts to be durable!

I'm surprised charities haven't partnered with the scheme to give people the option of having the 15c donated. Also a return to card option is a lot more preferable than this thermal paper receipt.

I'm surprised charities haven't partnered with the scheme to give people the option of having the 15c donated. Also a return to card option is a lot more preferable than this thermal paper receipt.
There was supposed to be an option for that on the machines, at least that was part of some of the publicity about the scheme, but I haven't seen it on any of the machines I've come across.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back