Re-Turn Plastic Bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was supposed to be an option for that on the machines, at least that was part of some of the publicity about the scheme, but I haven't seen it on any of the machines I've come across.
A charity donation or a refund to card? I'd be in favour of both especially the latter. There's no need for this process to have more than one step in my view.

A charity donation or a refund to card? I'd be in favour of both especially the latter. There's no need for this process to have more than one step in my view.
Sorry, should have been clearer - charity donation. Perhaps it was dropped in the "consultation", I see many mentions of it in the media re: the initial announcement of the scheme.

Options on return machines will include choosing to spend the money in the shop, receiving cash, or donating to charity.

I'm surprised charities haven't partnered with the scheme to give people the option of having the 15c donated. Also a return to card option is a lot more preferable than this thermal paper receipt.
They know that many of the vouchers will never be reclaimed. This is built in as part of the stores' margin.

The issues with non recycling of bottles/can is an issue outside the home, in transit/commuting etc. The new scheme won't solve that issue
Again, why won't the scheme here address that when it has in so many other countries?

if everyone goes to the bother of putting out a green bin, they are surely putting something into it.
Not everyone has a green bin, let alone use them correctly. If there was high levels of recycling, there's no way this scheme would ever have been considered. Even many of those who feel we're not doing enough to encourage recycling aren't keen on the inconvenience. There's no easy win for a government here.

Last edited:
They know that many of the vouchers will never be reclaimed. This is built in as part of the stores' margin.
I'd agree in it's current form many vouchers will not be reclaimed. Why should any store be making a margin on this scheme?

I'd agree in it's current form many vouchers will not be reclaimed. Why should any store be making a margin on this scheme?
They didn't buy and won't be powering and maintaining all those expensive machines for the good of their health.

Again, why won't the scheme here address that when it has in so many other countries?

Not everyone has a green bin, let alone use them correctly. If there was high levels of recycling, there's no way this scheme would ever have been considered. Even many of those who feel we're not doing enough to encourage recycling aren't keen on the inconvenience. There's no easy win for a government here.
In those other countries, how many of the places such as small convenience stores where people are likely to be buying them on the go offer takeback?

We do not have the same scheme in practice as in other countries.

IF we have different outcomes to other countries, we should look at what is actually different here.

Last edited:
In those other countries, how many of the places such as small convenience stores where people are likely to be buying them on the go offer takeback?

We do not have the same scheme in practice as in other countries.
Most are similar to here really using reverse vending machines. Look up Germany on Google Maps for example and look for Pfand collection points. It's not like we looked at all the places hitting 98% recycling raters and decided to do something different!

Most are similar to here really using reverse vending machines. Look up Germany on Google Maps for example and look for Pfand collection points. It's not like we looked at all the places hitting 98% recycling raters and decided to do something different!
That's a bit unspecific. They are only using RVMs? How many of those collection points are manual?

That's a bit unspecific. They are only using RVMs? How many of those collection points are manual?
It's similar to here from what I've seen, with queues for the bigger vending machines at times (some of these shred PET on site).

It's similar to here from what I've seen, with queues for the bigger vending machines at times (some of these shred PET on site).
It seems like the spec for the machines here specifically calls out no shredding, compacts instead.

All RVM’s must provide the container material in a co-mingled format for collection. Shredded or fragmenting of this material must not occur. An impalement rate of 0.1% is acceptable whereby the co-mingled material cannot be separated and further processed into either PET or Aluminium/Steel bales. This requires a single compactor capable of effectively compacting each type of material. If this is not possible, two material specific compactors will be required. 3.13 Volume Reduction & Flattening Compactors must reduce the volume of a PET Beverage container by at least 55% and the volume of anAluminium/Steel Container by at least 75%. RVMs must maintain this level over the duration of its life. The compactor should destroy the barcode and all compacted containers should be rejected when attempted to be returned again.

They didn't buy and won't be powering and maintaining all those expensive machines for the good of their health.
Shops get a handling fee of about 1.2c per container. Adds up fairly quickly once volume comes.
Its a near replica of the Danish system.

Just saw that the machine has similar technology to self service checkouts - as well as the barcode being read, it weighs the container. If the weight doesn't conform to the registered weight of the empty container, it gets rejected. This obviously helps stop counterfeit barcodes being deposited.

They are being asked to change the weight parameters a little to allow for a small amount of liquid.

I'm sure that lots of Re-turn material will (mistakenly or on purpose) end up in green bins. Will waste companies be able to claim the ful amount back on them?

Shops get a handling fee of about 1.2c per container. Adds up fairly quickly once volume comes.
Its a near replica of the Danish system.
I read somewhere that the machines cost circa €10k each.

On the above figures, that would mean each machine would need to process 833,000 bottles in order to achieve payback.
And that's before counting tax, VAT, power and maintenance costs.

Those economics, on their own, don't remotely stack up.

I'm sure that lots of Re-turn material will (mistakenly or on purpose) end up in green bins. Will waste companies be able to claim the ful amount back on them?
I'm with Panda and we were told that we can put all packaging material in our green bin both recyclable and non recyclable
and that they will sort it out back at depo, so yes I'm sure they the "employees" will keep an eye out for any returnable items

Only issue I see is everything will be compacted and/or damaged in the back of the truck and probably won't be accepted by the Re-Turn machines But at the very least they're been recycled by Panda :)

The irony of using non-recyclable thermal paper for the the recycling receipts!! Oney in Urlan Joe, oney in Urlan!!

Shame they didn't close the loop with the retailers by using the stores' loyalty cards or the more up-to-date phone apps. As many consumers now use their phones to pay at the till, why not send the credits back to their bank accounts?

The machines I've seen won't take back the rectangular 5 ltr containers, which must be processed manually. Half-assed as usual in this country, yet another semi-solution.
As far as I know there is no deposit on 5 litre containers- so there is no manual handling there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back