Polish Windows (Importing Windows from Poland)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Donnachain, I just had my windows fitted from Austria. They are fantastic quality and half the price of some manufacturers in Ireland. Check out http://www.homepro.at/. Andreas is the contact there and he is in Ireland quite regularly and will discuss options with you. He is super efficient as are they guys who come to fit them. If you have any problems they fix them straight away no questions asked. Couldnt recommend them enough. I mentioned them on this site before but only had the windows fitted recently and am even more impressesd.

Hi, Kalila,
I am about to build my house, and am interested in contacting your scource. Can you post it please?

OK....

High uv factor, sound proof and argon filed glass. Total cost 3,800.00.
I contacted a courier who delivers to Poland but usually comes back with only a few parcels. My windows are being collected from the factory and delivered to my door in a boxed truck, for 800 euro.

Job done.

Hi Computerman, thats a great deal, I'm building atm, any chance you could PM me the details on the supplier and courier you used? Thanks,

T

Donnachain, I just had my windows fitted from Austria. They are fantastic quality and half the price of some manufacturers in Ireland. Check out http://www.homepro.at/. Andreas is the contact there and he is in Ireland quite regularly and will discuss options with you. He is super efficient as are they guys who come to fit them. If you have any problems they fix them straight away no questions asked. Couldnt recommend them enough. I mentioned them on this site before but only had the windows fitted recently and am even more impressesd.

I can concur with the above. very happy with the windows.

We just finished putting up a house for a client last week, and she got a quote for her windows from a local company for:

22 Windows (various sizes) uPVC
1 front door with side windows (teak)
1 3m French door uPVC

Supplied and fitted, 2-week delivery, Eur 7000.

uPVC has a life of 10 to 15 years then starts to deteriorate the only way to get it back to complete insulation efficiency and colour is to take it out and replace it completely.

Sorry, but that is incorrect. I have Green uPVC since 1996 and it's still perfectly fine - our previous house has uPVC (tilt/turn), since 1988, and they're still fine too.

I suggest you read all the posts in future because this was only 2 posts later.

Sorry I should have said uPVC lasts forever but the seals, hinges, handles sliding mechanisms won't if it was wood you'd be able to just replace the bits but not with uPVC.

I have 2 uPVC windows in my flat they are about 15 years old the seals have deteriorated, I have hunted the length of Ireland trying to find new seals for them the only answer I've been given by window people is you've got to replace the windows entirely, apparently seal design has changed over time, i.e. new ones won't fit.

If you put a new piece of white uPVC beside your old white uPVC windows you'll see the difference between them easily. If you don't want tatty, yellowish looking frames you'll have to put new windows in because you can't paint uPVC and if you could that would defeat the whole purpose of having them in and would the first place.

As for the few problems that your in-laws are having with their uPVC windows I can guarantee those problems will escalate. Within a few years they'll be putting in new windows because problems with windows always keep coming, at least with wood you can fix them easily but you can't do anything with uPVC

.....except put new ones in....

Yours

There is wealth of information out there about why we should not be using uPVC but people keep going on about how cheap it is.

That is what it is...cheap.

My view is that when all the PVC windows have to come out in a few years time it will probably cost a bomb to get recycled.

I personally won't mind because I won't use the damn things.

Yours

SLF

ps the windows were in the flat when I bought it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest you pull off your blinkers: your wooden windows also have hinges, seals and associated hardware - and probably from the same factory the uPVC guys use......if it fails on uPVC systems, it'll fail on your wooden one too.........the window frame has nothing to do with it.

And we already know that 10's of 1000's of houses in Ireland have pulled out their timber, and put in alternatives already. It's extremely unlikely they'll ever have to do it again.

If wood framed windows were such a success, neither uPVC nor Alu - would ever have got off the ground. They did so because wooden framed windows need maintenance - and lots of it. In this climate, with a lot of wind-driven rain, they need even more maintenance, and so long as you're happy with doing that, that's fine, but don't try and kid anyone that it's necessarily better.

I'm not anti-wood, btw, far from it. But everything has it's place - if it didn't, we'd all drive Micra's............

Another Polish company I've heard good stuff about, from one of our own clients (I haven't used them personally) is these guys: http://www.bertrand.pl/ The sales guy there is Scottish, Christopher Rowell, and delivery to Ireland is something they do all the time, apparently. Pricing I saw nearly gave Oak windows for the price of Pine, here..........

I suggest you pull off your blinkers: your wooden windows also have hinges, seals and associated hardware - and probably from the same factory the uPVC guys use......if it fails on uPVC systems, it'll fail on your wooden one too.........the window frame has nothing to do with it.

And we already know that 10's of 1000's of houses in Ireland have pulled out their timber, and put in alternatives already. It's extremely unlikely they'll ever have to do it again.

If wood framed windows were such a success, neither uPVC nor Alu - would ever have got off the ground. They did so because wooden framed windows need maintenance - and lots of it. In this climate, with a lot of wind-driven rain, they need even more maintenance, and so long as you're happy with doing that, that's fine, but don't try and kid anyone that it's necessarily better.

Firstly the type of hinges and brass work I use are designed to last hundreds of years not the 25 year max that has been set on uPVC windows. Plus if something breaks on a timber window you can just replace it but with a uPVC window you have to replace the whole frame. If you decide you want to change the handles on a wooden window all you do is go the your local shop buy them and fit them..... can't do that with a uPVC window can you?

uPVC has a life of 25 years not a hundred like wood if properly maintained.
I know this because I have restored windows that are 250 years old.
This is many times the absolute max projected life of uPVC windows. I happen to know there are buildings that are 400 years old that still have their original windows.
I am currently in the process of removing my own single glaze and putting in double glazed units, my windows are 60 years old and are still in very good condition, uPVC would not have lasted this long.

Regarding the maintenance of windows you have been brainwashed by uPVC salesmen or you are one yourself.
The fact of the matter is that people paint their houses every few years or so.
What is the problem with painting the windows at the same time.
It is recommended that you paint your windows about every 5 to 7 years, no big deal!!!

Regarding the thousands of house holders that have been suckered into removing their good wood windows to put in inferior, toxic and ugly glaring white windows with the false promise of low maintence well all I can say is that there are even more thousands of houses that have asbestos in them.
They were told lies as well.

One last thing before I go, uPVC is made from oil products and we all know it's a diminishing resource so what are they going to use when its gone.....

The answer is wood....

If you want to look at what other people think about uPVC have a look at this link [broken link removed]

the problem with your reply, as you've just mentioned, is that you have a vested interest in windows being of wood.......

Unless you're a metallurgist, and have your own foundry, then you have no idea what your hinges are made of, or how long they last.

As for the maintenance - you're missing the point - some people have absolutely no interest in, nor desire to, paint their windows, at any interval. Take a look at any house fitted with Velux windows over the last 20 years, for example, and see how ratty a lot of their frames are.......the vast majority are not maintained. For them, then uPVC is entirely suitable. Some of the very first windows produced in Germany in the 50's are still in use, so until such time as they've stood for your target of 250, then they cannot be faulted. Tests on PVC piping in Germany and Netherlands, under pressure after 40+ years has been extrapolated to be in excess of 100 years, and plastic is now the standard pipe used in Gas lines. Just look into the next Bord Gais pothole and witness the yellow pipe.......

As for toxic - sure, uPVC is an oil by-product - but it's basically inert in a window application. But if you think by using wood you're not using any oil, or preservative chemicals, you're deluded. First of all - and I'm in the timber business, btw, consuming about 70m3 per month - it all comes from a few key locations, and comes at a premium. Secondly, to get it here costs a fortune - and timber has both mass and volume, for freight purposes......getting it from Arkangel is not cheap. And processing timber consumes huge amounts of oil in the forestry, and energy generally in processing. It's still a fabulous material, and I use it in a structural capacity, so appreciate entirely its properties - indeed, just last Saturday I took delivery of a 13m x 600mm x 240mm beam from Austria - but decrying uPVC is a waste of time. Energy even. It's here, and it's here to stay, and it has it's uses and benefits.

As for using wood when the oil runs out - only if you intend to float it down the river, because without oil, it'll never reach these shores.

Why are people getting uptight over the structure of windows. At the end of the day, timber requires constant maintenance, with paints etc., the handles will be made of plastic, rubber seals, ..........

I have my pvc, I will get approx 10 - 15 years out of it, I will be putting in a new timber front door - hardwood - It will be painted every couple of years. Cheap - sorry I mean inexpensive - .

Thats what I consider best of both worlds.

Some of the very first windows produced in Germany in the 50's are still in use.

You can't have it both ways either they last or they don't.

Regarding the oil situation your arguement is flawed if you don't have oil then you can't make uPVC windows so timber is the next oblivious choice since we can grow it here.

I read some of your previous posts on different threads and I see you are in the building game making houses of sorts.
I'd just bet you mainly use uPVC windows.

Computerman the point I try to make in this thread is that we should not be using uPVC even using aluminium is better that uPVC, but wood for preference
Galwaytt is quite correct I do have a vested interest, I don't want to leave our future generations with a toxic legacy.

You can't have it both ways either they last or they don't.

Regarding the oil situation your arguement is flawed if you don't have oil then you can't make uPVC windows so timber is the next oblivious choice since we can grow it here.

I read some of your previous posts on different threads and I see you are in the building game making houses of sorts.
I'd just bet you mainly use uPVC windows.

Computerman the point I try to make in this thread is that we should not be using uPVC even using aluminium is better that uPVC, but wood for preference
Galwaytt is quite correct I do have a vested interest, I don't want to leave our future generations with a toxic legacy.

S.L.F. you are not suggesting that we use homegrown timber for windows are you....:D, sure its hardly good enough for wood pellets.;)

Some of the statements you are making about pvc windows are clearly incorrect , in as far as they can be easily maintained and repaired without being replaced. Stating that aluminium is better than upvc is really stretching the limits , I,d be interested to know whether you have actually fabricated pvc or aluminium products.

And what may I ask are " houses of sorts " that g..tt is making;)

sabre

Sabre,

Nice to talk to a fellow professional again.

There was a time when homegrown timber was good enough for all the woodwork around the house and not just in the fire place.:)
Why can't we grow it again?

I mean lets face facts oil is running out so we have to change from uPVC to something else. All too soon it won't be a choice about whether it's gonna be wood or uPVC because there won't be any uPVC to be had.

I have been told by people of how much maintainence there is involved with wooden windows and it's just not true. All your windows need is to be painted once every 5 to 7 years. I mean you gotta cut your grass, paint your internal walls so whats the big deal with painting your windows.
People have managed for hundreds of years to do their windows without it being a hassle so why is it a hassle now.

Regarding repairs I know of several stories of people trying to get someone to fix their uPVC windows without success mostly they end up getting a total new window, then the new window always manages to look far whiter than the older windows.

The nearest I have gotten to work and uPVC or aluminium windows has been to clean them.

Galwaytt's houses of sorts, I'm actually not too sure that's why I said houses of sorts, I get the impression he does pre-fab houses but this was only after a brief glance through his previous posts so I could be wrong and probably am. The only person who could put me wise to that would be Galwaytt themselves.

Regards

SLF

Hi S.L.F.

It boils down to price also - have had quotes for a newbuild with timber windows - aluclad exterior there are a lot of windows in the house and the price was in the E46,000 - E50,000 range now I can turn around and get a nice looking oak woodgrain uPVC with all the regs meaning argon filled thermal low e coating - same as the Aluclad but for E20,000 - E25,000. By choice if I had deep pockets would rather go for the aluclad but something has to give and if the uPVC gives as good a u value as the timber aluclad and if it looks decent enough I think uPVC I would go for. On present house I have uPVC on main house for 15 years with no problems and very good acoustic value - I installed a sunroom with slated roof 3 years ago and put in marvin timber aluclad windows argon filled at huge expense - they look lovely and the wood is lovely to look at but acoustic wise I can hear everything - I could afford it on a sunroom but to finish the house in the same would be very expensive. I take on board what you say about maintenance 5 to 7 years is not bad but I do think it depends on your site - orientation of house and all that. If I could install timber windows for the same price as uPVC I would go for the timber but so long as it would be every 5 to 7 years maintenance, it's not putting on the varnish that a lot of people hate - it's the sanding and then varnishing it can be quite tedious or it can be a labour of love for some people.

Was reading posts about windows and was suprised, that nobody mentioned designing, survey, fitting of the windows...
You can buy the best window on the market, but if the window is designed, surveyed, fitted wrong - you have your money wasted.
I do agree, importing windows is a real saving (www.hronas.lt btw), but have closer look what you're getting for your money. Aluclad is not the same aluclad in dansk, rationel, doleta, nordman, etc.
Every company (decent) has its own designs, constructional solutions.
My advice: stay away from the "garage based" companies. They tend to apear on the market, offering cheap stuff, then dissapearing.

People say: cheap meat is for dogs.

p.s. hardware on timber windows is from the same supliers as PVC - siegenia, GU...

.........There was a time when homegrown timber was good enough for all the woodwork around the house and not just in the fire place.:)........Why can't we grow it again? ........
Galwaytt's......... I'm I get the impression he does pre-fab houses but this was only after a brief glance through his previous posts so I could be wrong and probably am. The only person who could put me wise to that would be Galwaytt themselves.

No, you're right, I do work in a - shock ! - wood based industry, make factory built houses. As such, we use a lot of wood, of all kinds, the point I'm making is I'm not blind to the advantages, for a lot of people, of uPVC. As sure as there is good/bad uPVC, there is good/bad timber.........

As for native timber : you're right there too - the stuff in the country now is fairly dire - we can't use any of it. Even BRE picked up on it in testing, so all the wood in our houses now is imported, planed, C18 or higher from Finland or Russia. As soon as you put a piece of it down beside native stuff you can see the difference in quality.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back