Polish Windows (Importing Windows from Poland)

Status
Not open for further replies.

inchbyinch

Hi all

Im planning/building my house at the moment and from what I hear one can make great savings on top quality products if you are willing to invest time and effort into researching the topic (is this true?). I was just wondering has anyone had first hand experience with importing these windows? If so what is your experience? What type of glass were you able to get with it? Did the windows come with glass in it or did you buy the glass here and order the frames only? How did you import them? Did you go and visit the factory? Did the language issue make things difficult?

Its an interesting topic and opens a whole debate as to the viability of our construction industry and its spin offs! If one can get windows cheaper in Poland what else can you buy around the globe??

Just got a quote from a guy that originally bought his windows from Poland and got them installed by a local installer, he saved up to 10 grand on his windows. These windows have a u-value of 1.1 and are solid wood.

He is now acting as an agent for the company. The quotation I received for Solid Wood, argon filled, low e, windows was the same as a reputable Irish Firm's price for U-pvc.

I heard of somebody who saved 50k visiting poland to buy and transport home windows for a very large house circa 4500sqft.

my dad got his windows and doors from Sweden for €11k, that was for two doors, one dormer window, two bay windows, four large windows and two regular windows, he saved at least €15k based on the size of his house

well worth the research, but make sure you get a proper window fitter

DeirdreL

My neighbour is building new 4000 sq ft hse, circular in shape. Getting his (52 :eek: )windows made by 'George Windows' in poland and transporting himself own builder to install. [broken link removed] He recons he is saving 20k on what he thinks are top quality windows. That is net of the 3k transport costs. I am waiting to see the windows he gets before including them in my list of suppliers for quotes. Couple of months should do it. ;)

Have window prices gone crazy or am I missing something? I paid IR£6,000 for 32 good-quality pvc windows, about 6 years ago. This was by no means the cheapest option at the time. Are people really spending 8-10 times of this figure now?

Just make sure if your windows open in and are tilt and turn ( which is great for fire regs) that enough space is left above top of window to hang window dressings. ( blinds)
I have been having a few problems with some clients homes and they cant get blinds they want.

my dad got his windows and doors from Sweden for €11k, that was for two doors, one dormer window, two bay windows, four large windows and two regular windows, he saved at least €15k based on the size of his house

well worth the research, but make sure you get a proper window fitter

DeirdreL

My family are in the windows game and I can guarantee you that the list you have there would never cost 26K.

Absolute ridiculous prices being spouted in this thread.

Whats the after sales service like from Poland? Do the call out within an hour or two?

i have been getting quotes for imported windows and from what i hear a lot are sealed units maybe a lot cheaper but what happens if a window pane is smashed do we wait 1 or 2 weeks for it to arrive from poland,denmark or where ever.not sure if its a risk i'm willing to take as mentioned after sales is important.a friend had windows fitted by mc mullan o donnel (co.tyrone) found a scratch on a pane after nearly 2 years,rep came,looked and arranged a free replacement.i,ved considered every option but might consider closer to home for good service(a lot of irish companys also give bad service)

Got a quote off Polish fitters in dub before xmas for 12k and had to arrange delivery, since had windows fitted by local sole trader for 8k; There is 14 windows, Plus 1 large bay, front door with glass panels at both sides,back door suitable for wheel chair access, double French windows,all long lengths reinforced, timber effect with welded corners and with pickelton double glaze.and this wasn't the cheapest quote I got.

bskinti... from your post I am presuming that you went with woodgrain pvc and not solid wood as quoted by the polish guys - no comparison between wood and pvc i'm afraid..

Re: Comparison between PVC and Wood framed Windows

Hi,

You mention that there is no comparison between PVC and wooden framed windows.
For my information, could you elaborate on the differences and why one may be better than the other.

Wood is natural and does not give of any toxins... i don't mean to be rude or smart but... for the person who does not appreciate the beauty and practicality of real wood... pvc is the way to go...

Hi
Bereco in Athlone get their windows made in Poland and import them.

Ijooc are you sure about Bereco. Thought their parent company was in UK and they were made there? Have you had any experience with this company? We have just seen there sliding sash, pretty nice. Would love to hear of anyone who had used them.
Thanks

Hi
Bereco do import from Poland. We have their Sliding Sash windows installed, and we're thrilled with them.

hi, be careful of what timber your windows are made off, i'm also trying to source wooden windows and two window suppliers have put me off any windows made of scandanavian pine; one thought they were untested for irish weather and the other had heard that one particular company had a lot of problems with windows they supplied to the west coast of ireland, they don't seem to have this problem with the east of the country. neither of these companies wanted to quote for my windows so i'm taking their advice as they have no vested interest in whatever i choose. i' m thinking of cedar wood windows now, anyone got any feedback on them?.

Timber Lover just wondered what was the wait time like for the windows after they were measured? We are considering going with them but haven't seen any of their work down here in the SE.
Thanks

hi
i had polish windows and doors fitted in a new build last year,they where cheap alright and the quality is very good,but the guys fitting them made a complete balls of it. we have damp patches on the walls around some of them,you need both hands to open the doors! water comes in under the doors when we have heavy rain. you should also remember that polish windows open in not out! we had to have the blinds fitted to the windows and not the reveals so when you open the windows they dig in to the plaster on the walls and will not open fully without removing the blinds completely! we had to widen the reveals and replaster,a right pain in the ass.look at choosing windows carefully.there is no warranty from the guy who fitted my windows,he legged it back to poland with my money!

we just fitted Polish Rehau system windows to a new house here. Quality of the windows & esp the front door was very good.

Good point about the opening in thing, though, we missed that....it's a problem if you want to fit blinds..............also: they don't fit obscure glass in their bathroom windows as standard, like we do, so don't forget that, either..........damhik !

OTH, I just built a 3600 sq ft house, with 23 opes, from a Mayo co:
2 x french doors
1 x teak front door
21 x windows (one measuring app 1.5m x 4.5m)
Total price, inc VAT & fitting - Eur11k.

All work well. Front ones, incl the large one, are grey, wood-grained PVC, the balance white.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back