New Houses in Diswellstown Castleknock

Is there anyone on this forum who's moved into Diswellstown Manor yet?
If so, are you happy enough with everything? (General quality of finish/sound proofing between houses etc etc)
Previous posters seemed to be over the moon with such things in HP, just wondering is it same in DM

Thanks ,

I'd be interested to know that too.
Also are Virgin media/upc services available in the estate?

Hi everyone in HP our tabby has gone missing, we are on Diswellstown Way. Can you please check your gardens etc.. If you see her please phone 083 4626422. She is an indoor car only got out by accident. She's wearing a pink collar. Many thanks

Hi,

Anyone know what schools service the DM development? I am guessing St. Patricks for Primary ? What about Secondary CCC?]

Thanks

Folks. We are still circling around DM. We really like it, but we still can't figure out if it's right for us. Two questions, if anyone could help out on them, it would be great: 1. Why is it a managed estate when, for ex. HP just next door isn't? Who decides that? And could it be taken in charge by the council later down the road, if the residents wanted it to be? And are management fees tax deductible, as you are paying for certain services (for ex lighting and road maintenance) on the double? 2. Why are sales there seemingly slow to close? Of the 20 units launched last October, just 7 are on the ppr (which is admittedly just to end April). Appreciate sales can't close until houses are finally finished, but that first row all look "done"? Thanks for any insights.

Folks. We are still circling around DM. We really like it, but we still can't figure out if it's right for us. Two questions, if anyone could help out on them, it would be great: 1. Why is it a managed estate when, for ex. HP just next door isn't? Who decides that? And could it be taken in charge by the council later down the road, if the residents wanted it to be? And are management fees tax deductible, as you are paying for certain services (for ex lighting and road maintenance) on the double? 2. Why are sales there seemingly slow to close? Of the 20 units launched last October, just 7 are on the ppr (which is admittedly just to end April). Appreciate sales can't close until houses are finally finished, but that first row all look "done"? Thanks for any insights.

Hi - it's just the way the land was zoned I believe. HP is a greenfield site, Im told the last in the castleknock area. The council will not take any responsibility for the lands so and work required above or below ground for at least 999 years rests with the residents. Unless something changes of course. Management fees are only tax deductable if you are getting rental income from the house unfortunately. It's grossly unfair imo to charge full LPT for people in multi unit developments. As I said a few pages ago I lived in a managed estate before and this was a major factor in not going further with DM. It's a lot of land to keep and once the builders and their friendly contractors are gone the fees will go up every year as the cost of servicing the development rises. Cost of insurance rises, management fee rises too etc....

Can't help on 2nd question I'm afraid although it was a really wet winter so may have slowed them down?

Thank you, Bobsworth. I have another question, and it's about the big house, DM itself. I'm concerned about what's going to happen to that. Restoration and conversion is going to cost the receiver a fortune, such that the price they'd need to get for it as a house / apartments will be well in excess of what folk are prepared to / able to pay for a house in Dublin 15. Otherwise you're depending on someone buying it as a small hotel or someone who just really loves the house and has the funds to invest in it. Could the management company (ie the residents) end up having to foot the bill for security on a what is by now a derelict property as well as for maintenance on what is a protected structure and therefore probably can't be demolished? Thanks all.

It's being restored and sold as a residential house as far as I know. Check the planning application, all the info is there.

Thank you, Lor2016. I see that in the planning application, and it also states that they have to carry out a certain amount of work on the big house during Phase 1 (because of its dilapidation). I see the scaffold is down and the front of it looks alot sprucer, so hopefully it will be looking as good / better than the new houses in time. I've done a bit of digging since on the managed estates question. My current understanding (always open to correction) is that, in time, and subject to (i) a sufficient majority of the residents requesting it and (ii) the estate being left finished to the required standards, an application can be made to Fingal to take the estate in charge. However, I also note that the planning application states clearly that permeable paving or paving brick surfaces will not be taken in charge because of the associated expense of their maintenance (as opposed to tarmac or concrete). Weirdly, alot of the roads in DM are paved or cobble locked. Not sure why the developer has chosen to do this - I don't think it looks appreciably nicer; it does cost more to maintain; and it could mean that the estate does not meet the required standard to be taken in charge (if an application for same were ever to be made)?

Thank you, Lor2016. I see that in the planning application, and it also states that they have to carry out a certain amount of work on the big house during Phase 1 (because of its dilapidation). I see the scaffold is down and the front of it looks alot sprucer, so hopefully it will be looking as good / better than the new houses in time. I've done a bit of digging since on the managed estates question. My current understanding (always open to correction) is that, in time, and subject to (i) a sufficient majority of the residents requesting it and (ii) the estate being left finished to the required standards, an application can be made to Fingal to take the estate in charge. However, I also note that the planning application states clearly that permeable paving or paving brick surfaces will not be taken in charge because of the associated expense of their maintenance (as opposed to tarmac or concrete). Weirdly, alot of the roads in DM are paved or cobble locked. Not sure why the developer has chosen to do this - I don't think it looks appreciably nicer; it does cost more to maintain; and it could mean that the estate does not meet the required standard to be taken in charge (if an application for same were ever to be made)?

Really good information Rossie. My take on it is that I don't think people who buy in DM will be adverse to paying management fees and would be looking for the council to take ownership of the development. There is a choice of two fantastic estates in DM and HP and if you're very against paying management fees then, as Bobsworth has done, go for HP. If you're accepting to the fact that you will pay a yearly charge to live in an estate that requires management fees to maintain the look/feel of it, then DM is your choice.

Thanks, Alesto. I'm not averse to paying once (i) everyone else is and (ii) you can see that you are getting something for it. In my experience, there's always someone who won't pay (no matter how much they might have paid for their house Day 1). I have no experience of managed estates, but I have yet to hear a story of a management company who was simply doing too much for their fee. However, I accept your point that if everyone pays, and if you get what you pay for, then the estate should have a nice look and feel. It's just another complicating factor that isn't present e.g. in HP or where we live now (because it's an old estate long since taken in charge, and pretty well maintained by the Council, to give them their due). But is it a deal breaker? Probably not. Anyone know how much the fees are, btw?

Thanks, Alesto. I'm not averse to paying once (i) everyone else is and (ii) you can see that you are getting something for it. In my experience, there's always someone who won't pay (no matter how much they might have paid for their house Day 1). I have no experience of managed estates, but I have yet to hear a story of a management company who was simply doing too much for their fee. However, I accept your point that if everyone pays, and if you get what you pay for, then the estate should have a nice look and feel. It's just another complicating factor that isn't present e.g. in HP or where we live now (because it's an old estate long since taken in charge, and pretty well maintained by the Council, to give them their due). But is it a deal breaker? Probably not. Anyone know how much the fees are, btw?

They're €600 per year at the moment. The estate wouldn't look the way it does if it wasn't privately managed, 6 acres of parkland, seating areas etc. so we're looking at it as a necessary evil!

Trying to decide between DM and HP.
Looking at 3 beds.
The orpen in HM is a nice property. Well proportioned for a 3 bed.
It's very difficult to visual the "E" in DM.
It looks a very narrow house and for 410-430k it's a lot of momey for what from the outside looks very small. It's long but less can 5 metres wide!
The appeal with DM is its private feel but that ultimately does come at a cost.

I wonder which one is selling better?

I think they're both selling pretty well. You can't get an 'E' type at the moment in DM as they've all be sold and they've gone from 395 up to 410 I think? Orpen in HP has seen the same price rises.

DM is narrower and terraced but has larger square footage than the Orpen. Orpen is semi detached.

Great Thanks. What time scales would Hooke and Mc Donald/ Sherry Fitzgerald want contracts signed. Lets say for a property due to be finished in October. I have my property on the market and don't want to be pressurized into a quick sale. Thanks very much

I spoke to people who bought in DM in March with their property to be built in September and they needed to sign within 3 weeks. I know they had to stick to this too (within reason).

Back