New Houses in Diswellstown Castleknock

They're €600 per year at the moment. The estate wouldn't look the way it does if it wasn't privately managed, 6 acres of parkland, seating areas etc. so we're looking at it as a necessary evil!

Very true. Private estates generally look smarter. As you say, once everybody pays. My worry is the amount of units servicing the large amount of acres. You don't have apartment blocks with lifts which is great in a way but insurance is a killer as is management and landscaping. There's no way that place can be maintained for 600 per house. The amounts always change. I paid 650 in my last house in 05 and by 08 was paying 1100 - I had zero choice in it. Pay or go to court and if you don't pay you can't ever sell. Pretty horrible feeling!! But if run well they can be great. Some don't (check out Dunboyne castle where bins aren't collected sometimes or gardens kept, Casteheany the most well known...). Those fees work well for tiny exclusive developments with little common areas or for large developments with high numbers of units. Eg Farmleigh - has a good few houses but lots of apartments to contribute, take out the apartments and the house fees would rise massively.

The council won't take in charge developments that are there 15 years on less land and provide right of access to the public so aren't gated. We asked a number of times - even street lighting as the estate gave access to public - not a hope... A lot of these places took a bit of a pounding during the bad years with large amounts of non payers...

I'd say there's a better chance of hell freezing over than the council taking control of the maintenance of any newer estate!

Just for clarity 600 doesn't include bins. 600 is for upkeep of grounds and estate only.

Is that definite that the maintenance fee of €600 doesn't include bins in DM. The fee does include bins in Bracken Park.

Yes - I double checked it when we were enquiring. It came from Winston in Hooke and MacDonald

Yes - I double checked it when we were enquiring. It came from Winston in Hooke and MacDonald

Thanks, I just got confirmation on this, the fee in Bracken Park is €700 and includes bins, estate will be managed by Wise PM where as DM's fee is €600 and excludes bins, the property management there is J&S.

Thanks, I just got confirmation on this, the fee in Bracken Park is €700 and includes bins, estate will be managed by Wise PM where as DM's fee is €600 and excludes bins, the property management there is J&S.

That's a big deal. I thought the were. Somebody mentioned pages ago that they were covered.

Bracken is smaller (land wise) and has apartments. That's keeping the fees relatively low. Bins cost about €350 per household so DM is €950 per year for same services...

It's not a huge fee in fairness but will rise reach year. At least the council won't come around and cut the grass in the rain :)

Trying to decide between DM and HP.
Looking at 3 beds.
The orpen in HM is a nice property. Well proportioned for a 3 bed.
It's very difficult to visual the "E" in DM.
It looks a very narrow house and for 410-430k it's a lot of momey for what from the outside looks very small. It's long but less can 5 metres wide!
The appeal with DM is its private feel but that ultimately does come at a cost.

I wonder which one is selling better?

Have the 3 beds in DM gone up to 430k?

I think the 430 refers to the semi detached 3 beds up by the house. 410 was the phase 2 price of the terraced, up from 395.

Last edited:
I see DM has had a pretty big price reduction. 6% or 30k in one move for a 4 bed

3 beds also reduced to 405k or up to 25k

Must be having trouble completing sales. I think most ppl knew the rises they did were a bad move and just shows the quality of the agent, or maybe NAMA are to blame as they own it? Maybe they just chances their arm?

Very poor to sell a 4 bed for 480k, rise it to 530k and then down to 500k again. Not very fair on purchasers.

Would not be happy if I bought one for 530k!

Why not do what HP are and just say "from 480k" and leave it??? Trying to push the buyer into a fake upward price spiral by the look of things and it's a spectacular fail in sales terms...very irresponsible trading to try and make people think that they are jumping on an appreciating asset.

The posting here about the price of the 4 beds is inaccurate. The fairways 4 bed type in DM started at 480K and is now listed on my home at 530k.There is no price reduction. There is a previously unmarketted 4 bed type "G Type" that has a virtually identical floor area but a very different design (which I personally do not think is as attractive IMO & has a smaller garden) that is 500k . I don' t know about the price history of the 3 bed but there are several different types of 3 bed, so there may not be a price reduction just a different type.

The posting here about the price of the 4 beds is inaccurate. The fairways 4 bed type in DM started at 480K and is now listed on my home at 530k.There is no price reduction. There is a previously unmarketted 4 bed type "G Type" that has a virtually identical floor area but a very different design (which I personally do not think is as attractive IMO & has a smaller garden) that is 500k . I don' t know about the price history of the 3 bed but there are several different types of 3 bed, so there may not be a price reduction just a different type.

Myhome.ie recorded it as a 30k reduction, went out as a notification in their normal price update e mail. Maybe the g type was the initial 480 price and there haven't been any actual increases of note?

3 bed, like the others went up and has now come down too... As you say maybe different types? It's a multi unit development so difficult to know with them....

Pricing not very transparent in fairness. Similar to initial Swift/Lavery pricing in HP where looked like a reduction but many houses were up to 100k above the price listed (one Swift went for 575k I believe but the garden was very large.

You would think agents would put up multiple ads to avoid any of this stuff, doubt it would break the bank!

I am only familiar with the 4 beds in DM & HP. The G Type 4 Bed is different to the Fairway type 4 Bed which is the predominant 4 bed in DM. There are about 8 of them and IMO it is a less attractive house in terms of design, location and garden size than the Fairways 4 bed, and I would have expected it to be cheaper (which it is). The Fairways has not gone down in price, it has gone up 50K since the initial launch last September.

I don't believe it's had a 50k increase. If it has then 30k just got wiped out if you believe myhome. It's Just "clever" pricing where the less desirable plots were sold first. Very few houses if any in Ireland have appreciated in double digit % in the past 6 months.

The plots at 530k seem to be bigger and better than those at 480k or 500k that were sold first. The Lavery in HP was 490 but some 520, that's not a rise either.... It's just normal that different plots, roads etc have different prices. It's pretty wrong to call these "rises"... It's likely the ones at 500k now haven't actually "reduced", it's just their price.

I don't believe the Swift in HP rose 80-100k because some sold for 575kor the detached yeates didn't rise from 575k to 650k either. The Lavery hasn't gone up 30k just because some gardens face different ways. It's just that prices are "from". Both 4 beds in DM are same sq ft so don't see a difference outside of preference...

It's a matter of plots, remaining/available in phase stock and 2 different approaches to sales where one is more aggressive as it's going to be completed far sooner so more pressure on the agents to shift them.

On the other hand it's great for the area if what you say is true. Some in HP are up 15-20% and DM not too far off the same if this is the case. Using the same rationale for all.

The more I look at both, which are both lovely, I get the feeling the will seem almost combined, just different access points by car.

I have purchased an Orpen on the Heath. Should be ready for July. Just noticed that someone has converted an attic in the Close. I want to convert my attic too and was wondering where they moved to immersion tank too? Cant wait to see a conversion. Is the attic big enough for an en suite.
Also what kind of snags should i expect on the snag list ,and how long does it take to move in after the house is ready. I presume the solicitors take time. Does it take long
to get electricity turned on?

Just wonder did you decide on the attic conversion and how are HP houses built to allow for easy conversion - considering a conversion if we go ahead with our purchases and was concerned about ceiling height

Sorry, the Fairways 4 bed and the G Type 4 bed in DM are two entirely different house type designs, they are not the same house type in different locations : I have seen the architects plans in Fingal so I know! Re the Fairways 4 beds at 480K and 530K. They are the same house type with the same garden size and the same orientation. I agree that the 530K Fairways are in a better part of the estate (away from the main entrance), but 50K is a real price increase. You can't explain a 50k difference due to location in the estate alone when the orientation and garden size are the same. This is fact not opinion.

I have the June price list from H&M (i'm still getting mails from them confusingly) and the Fairway is indeed still 530k.

Edit: on the pricelist I have the 3 bed price says 405k-430k. It also says they are sold out so not sure of what relevance the price is!

Last edited:
Just wonder did you decide on the attic conversion and how are HP houses built to allow for easy conversion - considering a conversion if we go ahead with our purchases and was concerned about ceiling height

The Orpen and Lavery attics are prepped for conversion already. I have heard it can be done for half the price of a normal one in an older house. One has this done already on the 2nd road

Any updates guys? I hear the fences have been moved back a bit. Anyone else moved in yet ?
Also for anyone who has moved in, how was your snagging?
Did you create much of a list? & was it all rectified to your satisfaction?

Last edited:
Back