Electric Car Value Trade In. Please Help

I carry heavy luggage including three bicycles on a tow bar during holiday time. This would undoubtedly affect the EV range.
I have never had to put a new engine in a car thankfully. The time used on motorway charges just doesn’t appeal when on a tight schedule with children.
it affects every cars range, i have never had to put a new battery in a car thankfully.

How often are you driving the kinds of distances required for you to make regular motorway stops? or maybe you have kids that enjoy 4 hours straight in a car and never need to stop anywhere?

I must be lucky then as I've had 3 diesels and never had any of these issues with them (never needed to use Ad blue either) and my current mileage is very impressive for a large car (5.3L/100km).

I never had an EV but my BIL had to trade his in as it was stressing him out wondering if the overnight charge would be enough to get him to work the next day. He had to make two back to back round trips of 340km each week. At times he had to practically freewheel along the motorway to conserve the battery to get him to his destination.
Everything I read suggests to me that it's a technology that isn't quite ready to replace ICE yet so personally I'm going to wait until it is.
if your BIL was stressed not knowing if a full charge was going to get him 340km he didnt do his research before he bought the car to be fair. and two 340km trips a week is 35,000km a year, one would imagine his annual mileage must be near 50,000 km per year, thats a lot of fuel savings but he needed to be sure he had picked the right car.

your cars must be older if you arent required to use ad blue, did it not become mandatory in 2017 or thereabouts?

Electric vehicles are rubbish unless you’re a zealot obsessed with ramming them down people’s throats. Lack of infrastructure, range issues, cost of battery replacement, and now this trade-in/valuation madness. Enough said.
So obviously the big funds , ESG investing policy and governments were all wrong back in 2020 on the Tesla investment story. They all drove the Tesla share price to ridiculous levels then, I think Tesla was barely affected by the covid stock market crash in March 2020, indeed many were saying that you had have Tesla in your portfolio to protect you from the market volatility due to covid .How times have changed and how so many big names were wrong. Colm Fagan who had a thread on shorting Tesla was ultimately right but he lost alot of money because of the madness of crowds and the wall of money flowing into Tesla

Well obviously if some never experienced any issues with diesel cars all the stats must be wrong.

"Diesel vehicles have seen the greatest surge in failures due to emissions, with a rise of 240% compared to just 37% for petrol vehicles"

So obviously the big funds , ESG investing policy and governments were all wrong back in 2020 on the Tesla investment story. They all drove the Tesla share price to ridiculous levels then, I think Tesla was barely affected by the covid stock market crash in March 2020, indeed many were saying that you had have Tesla in your portfolio to protect you from the market volatility due to covid .How times have changed and how so many big names were wrong. Colm Fagan who had a thread on shorting Tesla was ultimately right but he lost alot of money because of the madness of crowds and the wall of money flowing into Tesla
Tesla had very little competition for many years. That's not the case now. Now Tesla is in a price war. Similar to housing price crash. They are trying to chase market share with price cutting.

The link I provided explains that not all require it.
sure, its just all the german manufacturers for example appear to use ad blue so i was just curious as to who werent using it, have heard mazda mentioned but from what ive read their diesel engines are very problematic.

If its a secret thats fine ;)

I never had an EV but my BIL had to trade his in as it was stressing him out wondering if the overnight charge would be enough to get him to work the next day. He had to make two back to back round trips of 340km each week. At times he had to practically freewheel along the motorway to conserve the battery to get him to his destination.
Everything I read suggests to me that it's a technology that isn't quite ready to replace ICE yet so personally I'm going to wait until it is.

Not entirely sure why you'd buy a car that doesn't do the non stop range you need twice a week.

Driving for 170km, or 340km in Ireland you'd have passed a lot of fast chargers. Not sure why you'd drive pass them to freewheel down a motorway.

I have a EV with a small battery and I could go do those distances with with no problem with perhaps one very short stop. Even in my petrol car, I would stop at those distances for a break.

My petrol car says it has a 700km range. But I would only get 360 in town and maybe 450ish on a long run, which I don't do often. So I'd be stopping to top up fuel on 340km trip, since I wouldn't run it, to its absolute limit. Our diesel could do it no problem. So I'd just take that as I'd be saving fuel costs. Though it would be cheaper in the EV.

I guess its what your priority long non stop journeys, speed, fuel costs, time. You could just by a Audi S6 Avant with a V10 petrol and massive fuel tank. High speed, mile muncher.

sure, its just all the german manufacturers for example appear to use ad blue so i was just curious as to who werent using it, have heard mazda mentioned but from what ive read their diesel engines are very problematic.

If its a secret thats fine ;)

Seems to have been a requirement for certain years of diesel. Was problematic for some cars, and just a faff, so I think most newer diesels don't need it afaik. Mine didn't need it. I think it could be problematic for some. Pops up on motoring forums. You don't really need to know what car the poster has. The pros and cons of the tech are well known, and researchable on the web etc.

Seems to have been a requirement for certain years of diesel. Was problematic for some cars, and just a faff, so I think most newer diesels don't need it afaik. Mine didn't need it. I think it could be problematic for some. Pops up on motoring forums. You don't really need to know what car the poster has. The pros and cons of the tech are well known, and researchable on the web etc.
fair enough have been out of the diesel game for 4or 5 years so was just curious, i dont intend to go back.

Just an aside, I'm not dismissing range anxiety, it's obviously a new paradigm in technology.

There are people who rang out of fuel in Petrol or Diesel cars. Or drive around in the red for days. Those people will still do the same thing in electric. My other half used to hand back the car on fumes, I find it hand to be able to plug in in overnight. But I appreciate people use cars differently.

Just an aside, I'm not dismissing range anxiety, it's obviously a new paradigm in technology.

There are people who rang out of fuel in Petrol or Diesel cars. Or drive around in the red for days. Those people will still do the same thing in electric. My other half used to hand back the car on fumes, I find it hand to be able to plug in in overnight. But I appreciate people use cars differently.
indeed, but a lot of range anxiety is borne out of imagined use not actual, before my mum went ev she worried about driving to cork and back and would it be able to do it without stopping, i asked when the last time she needed to do that was, and it was never. She doesnt worry any more but these are the barriers that are put up against ev driving when the average annual distances covered are around 10,000 km per year.

Evs wont suit everyone but they do suit plenty.

Anyway these are all the old tropes.

The reason the OP has problems with trade in, is there is a market crash, like a housing crash, and as there are doomsayers in that situation there are doomsayers in this one. The media are using it to sell clicks, regardless of the accuracy of such sound bites. Dealers have been caught with overpriced stock. They want to move that, rather than carrying more stock. It's going to be unstable for a quite a while. If you sell or trade in the middle of that price war, you're going to take a painful hit. The counter argument is to get out before it falls further.

But as some point, the market will realise the value in used EVs and it will stabilize.

indeed, but a lot of range anxiety is borne out of imagined use not actual, before my mum went ev she worried about driving to cork and back and would it be able to do it without stopping, i asked when the last time she needed to do that was, and it was never. She doesnt worry any more but these are the barriers that are put up against ev driving when the average annual distances covered are around 10,000 km per year.

Evs wont suit everyone but they do suit plenty.

I will say if you have a regular long distance trip. Or simple do a driving holiday or such, it still suits a diesel better than petrol or EV. Then there's people who have one car and it has to be able to do everything, or two cars where you can a 7 seater and a smaller car for around the city. Lot of different use cases. I was looking to replace our 7 seater until it was pointed out we've no longer NEED to carry 5+ passengers 99% of the time.

The reason the OP has problems with trade in, is there is a market crash, like a housing crash
It's more down to increased competition and rapidly developing technology. Telsa and others have been milking early adopters who benefited from government grant, BIK, and the promise of cheap energy to justify spending €50k where an equivalent ICE would have cost closer to €30k.

As more players have entered the market competition has forced reductions in the margins to reduce towards the motor industry standards. As battery technology develops further and a few more manufacturers catch up, prices and margins will drop further.

We took the plunge 5/6 years ago to go electric for our second car, and this is where I think the sweet spot lies.

The pick ups / drop offs, the grocery shops, trips to places within about an hour of home etc, this is how it's used. Turns out it covers 80% of our our driving needs, meaning we're nearly always in it. Our 'first' car has been relegated to 'second' place & because we charge at home, in the 7500 km we travelled last year, the total 'fuel' bill was less than €200. Make no mistake though, an EV works for us because there's an alternative when we need it. We don't do cross country trips in it, we don't use public chargers, we don't have range anxiety to deal with. In other words, all the benefits without the drawbacks & I'd recommend one to anybody in the same boat.

Final point, and mainly because this isn't mentioned often enough, the best part of EV ownership isn't how cheap it is to run... it's how silent and stress-free it is to drive (if you ask my wife), and it's how much fun all that instant torque is (if you ask me!). When either of us have the choice, it's the EV which gets taken every time, for its driving pleasure.

Back