Electric Car Value Trade In. Please Help

Didn't know that, very interesting. 46kph is painfully slow & not a useful indicator for consumers that are travelling long motorway distances.

The standards authority could do with adding a second tier to test the range at speeds of say 110-120kph in both warm & cold conditions.
The figures are only intended to be a relatively simple means of comparing different models. A car that shows a 10% greater range than another in the standardised testing is likely to have a similarly longer range over the other car on all motorway driving too. If they tried to come up with a multitude of ranges to better reflect how lots of different people actually use their cars, it would only likely confuse the issue more, and add to the testing costs.

This may be true in the sense that no one has to engage in commercial negotiations that they don't want to however if the OP has been sold a pup or mis sold a car with misinformation on it's range, even allowing for variance then that is a different story. I understand that is not the angle the OP was proposing but it is the angle I would be bottoming out if I were in his situation.

• Is the car defective?
  • Was he mis sold a car based on false / incorrect range data?

We still don't know what make/model it is so we can't tell what the range should be. It's possible that the car is a lemon, that it was mis-sold, etc. and we have to take the OP's word, but it's possible that the OP is just a disappointed customer who did not do enough research before paying 5 figures for something that they now regret. We have all had that experience in some way shape or form.

We first started looking at EVs in 2011 when it was really only the original Nissan Leaf available and it didn't have the range for us. When we eventually bought an EV a couple of years ago there were huge amounts of information online, including from Irish drivers, about theoretical versus real world ranges for each model. There are definitely folk on AAM or similar websites who have done the OP's journey in their exact car and will be able to compare their range also.

If the OP's experience differs from what others are getting then they should absolutely pursue it but if they won't tell us what they are driving we have no way of knowing.

Hi, I’m considering moving from my hybrid to full electric. I’m looking at both the ID4 & Tesla 3 but am concerned hearing about garages not accepting evs for trade in. I will be on pcp so selling privately won’t be an option for me in 3 years when I look to change again. Should I be worried?

Thanks

Hi, I’m considering moving from my hybrid to full electric. I’m looking at both the ID4 & Tesla 3 but am concerned hearing about garages not accepting evs for trade in. I will be on pcp so selling privately won’t be an option for me in 3 years when I look to change again. Should I be worried?

Thanks
If your concern is for your current car to trade in then approach a garage. Who know what will happen in 3 years

There was a topic on newstalk yesterday about dealers refusing to accept EVs as trade ins, they interviewed one of those dealers. She said that dealers got stuck with stock that they could not sell on accept at steep discount and can't afford to take such losses. She said other dealers are doing likewise and that they getting calls from previous buyers looking to trade back to diesel or petrol cars. Problems with getting onto public charge points, alot of punctures because so heavy, also can't be towed if they run out of charge and must be collected by rescue truck to get charged. The main issue is that if anything happens the battery and it is out of warranty, cost 20,000 for replacement battery

Moderator Note: Link to Newstalk podcast added here.

There was a topic on newstalk yesterday about dealers refusing to accept EVs as trade ins, they interviewed one of those dealers. She said that dealers got stuck with stock that they could not sell on accept at steep discount and can't afford to take such losses. She said other dealers are doing likewise and that they getting calls from previous buyers looking to trade back to diesel or petrol cars. Problems with getting onto public charge points, alot of punctures because so heavy, also can't be towed if they run out of charge and must be collected by rescue truck to get charged. The main issue is that if anything happens the battery and it is out of warranty, cost 20,000 for replacement battery
the lady in question is a noted publicity hound and insta hun, i wouldnt take too much of what she says seriously.

This is an interesting 30 minutes on why EV trade in values are low.

There were a few interesting points I took from this.
1. Dealers aren't prepared to take a risk on EV cars due to not knowing the battery degradation. You would have thought it would be possible to identify this?
2. Car manufacturers are not incentivised or required to make EVs more efficient (as they were with ICE cars) so the solution to date has been bigger cars with bigger batteries.

Would anyone dispute any of what he says?

This is an interesting 30 minutes on why EV trade in values are low.

There were a few interesting points I took from this.
1. Dealers aren't prepared to take a risk on EV cars due to not knowing the battery degradation. You would have thought it would be possible to identify this?
2. Car manufacturers are not incentivised or required to make EVs more efficient (as they were with ICE cars) so the solution to date has been bigger cars with bigger batteries.

2) Yes they've made denser packs with newer tech so new model have more capacity or better features. It's been done.

1) Dealers were caught out with the price war and cheaper batteries and company car buying incentives leaving them with over priced stock. Caught out private buyers too.

Dealers can test batteries. You can do it yourself with a bit of effort. He's said that himself he didn't get it done on his. There's EU regulation coming on state of health on batteries.

EGR,DPF, Ad blue, dieselgate, dual mass flywheels, dsg's. I'm so glad I got rid of my diesel. One problem after another. I'll never buy another. I've hung on to an older petrol that was vastly more reliable. Manual, real handbrake, no turbos, no software updates, etc...and an EV.

Last edited:
If I had diesel that gave no issues and was doing the mileage that made it viable I'd keep it. But I didn't and I wasn't..

Charging hassle, worry looking at % on a dashboard somewhere in middle of nowhere when trying to find a charger. Time lost. Depreciation. Huge cost of 20k to replace battery if it fails outside warranty. I often carry children and heavy baggage. Sitting around drinking endless coffee while waiting for a charge is not my idea of progress. You would want to be retired or unemployed with nothing better to do.

Electric vehicles are rubbish unless you’re a zealot obsessed with ramming them down people’s throats. Lack of infrastructure, range issues, cost of battery replacement, and now this trade-in/valuation madness. Enough said.

I think this is the wrong way around. There is no incentive to improve the efficiency of an ICE vehicle (there may have been regulation however) as 70-80% of the energy is wasted and with the energy storage capacity of liquid fuel, widespread availability, relative cheap cost of it, any benefits are incremental. The nature of an EV actually incentivises improved weight reduction, aerodynamics, rolling resistance etc. as incremental energy improvements, are 100% converted to increased range rather than waste energy. Manufactures can sell more efficient EV cars with an increased range for the same relative battery size.

The current range problem is that the useable energy (energy used for motion) stored in a volume of space is superior with a fuel tank and ICE vs. BEV.

Charging hassle, worry looking at % on a dashboard somewhere in middle of nowhere when trying to find a charger. Time lost. Depreciation. Huge cost of 20k to replace battery if it fails outside warranty. I often carry children and heavy baggage. Sitting around drinking endless coffee while waiting for a charge is not my idea of progress. You would want to be retired or unemployed with nothing better to do.
Funny I've had an ev for over 4 years and never had any of those issues bar depreciation which is a fact of most vehicles. How much do you think replacing an engine on a newish car would cost?

I charge at home once a week, far more convenient than going out of my way to a petrol station, fast charge less than a half dozen times a year and never had an issue. Oddly enough my children and or heavy baggage have never been an issue.

That's just a word Bingo of most of the fud doing the rounds.

I carry heavy luggage including three bicycles on a tow bar during holiday time. This would undoubtedly affect the EV range.
I have never had to put a new engine in a car thankfully. The time used on motorway charges just doesn’t appeal when on a tight schedule with children.

EGR,DPF, Ad blue, dieselgate, dual mass flywheels, dsg's. I'm so glad I got rid of my diesel. One problem after another. I'll never buy another. I've hung on to an older petrol that was vastly more reliable. Manual, real handbrake, no turbos, no software updates, etc...and an EV.

If I had diesel that gave no issues and was doing the mileage that made it viable I'd keep it. But I didn't and I wasn't..
I must be lucky then as I've had 3 diesels and never had any of these issues with them (never needed to use Ad blue either) and my current mileage is very impressive for a large car (5.3L/100km).

Funny I've had an ev for over 4 years and never had any of those issues bar depreciation which is a fact of most vehicles. How much do you think replacing an engine on a newish car would cost?

I charge at home once a week, far more convenient than going out of my way to a petrol station, fast charge less than a half dozen times a year and never had an issue. Oddly enough my children and or heavy baggage have never been an issue.

That's just a word Bingo of most of the fud doing the rounds.
I never had an EV but my BIL had to trade his in as it was stressing him out wondering if the overnight charge would be enough to get him to work the next day. He had to make two back to back round trips of 340km each week. At times he had to practically freewheel along the motorway to conserve the battery to get him to his destination.
Everything I read suggests to me that it's a technology that isn't quite ready to replace ICE yet so personally I'm going to wait until it is.

Back