Electric Car Value Trade In. Please Help

It's actually hard to believe that anyone still buys into that particular myth at this stage it has been debunked so often and by so many outlets despite the oil industry doing all they can to push the false narrative.
You pick one to poke holes in but his THIRTEEN other reasons are perfectly valid.

Because they won’t admit their mistake and the ridiculousness of it all. Let’s see how all those people who paid €50,000 for an ID4 a wet week ago feel now that they’re being offered €30,000 on a trade-in (or even worse refused a trade-in).
that must be it,

anyway of those ID4 buyers want to change to a new ID4 its a wash isnt it, their trade in is lower but so is the price of a new ID4 so not quite the disaster thats being painted.

What is ‘empirically false’ about it?!

Its false because the downsides you cite are a mutton! They impact each person depending on how they use a car to greater or less extent, regardless of engine type - a trade off!

The reality is there are no big deal. They are overblown and may matter when considered in isolation but are even less of a worry when you consider the worries you have with the alternative.

that must be it,

anyway of those ID4 buyers want to change to a new ID4 its a wash isnt it, their trade in is lower but so is the price of a new ID4 so not quite the disaster thats being painted.
So effectively, the only choice to avoid the €12K RRP drop, excluding the additional massive EV depreciation for an ID4 owner is a new ID4?? Sure that's okay then. VW have captured customers for life!

So effectively, the only choice to avoid the €12K RRP drop, excluding the additional massive EV depreciation for an ID4 owner is a new ID4?? Sure that's okay then. VW have captured customers for life!
no, you could buy one of the many other EVs that have had price drops.

Electric vehicles are a joke and some form of mania where zealots insist on telling you how great they are. They remain ridiculous for the reasons outlined above. It’s classic marketing spoof where we’re being fed a silly narrative to sell us something that’s rubbish compared to the incumbent product, the combustion engined vehicle.
Exactly this - iphones on wheels!

We took the plunge 5/6 years ago to go electric for our second car, and this is where I think the sweet spot lies.

The pick ups / drop offs, the grocery shops, trips to places within about an hour of home etc, this is how it's used. Turns out it covers 80% of our our driving needs, meaning we're nearly always in it. Our 'first' car has been relegated to 'second' place & because we charge at home, in the 7500 km we travelled last year, the total 'fuel' bill was less than €200. Make no mistake though, an EV works for us because there's an alternative when we need it. We don't do cross country trips in it, we don't use public chargers, we don't have range anxiety to deal with. In other words, all the benefits without the drawbacks & I'd recommend one to anybody in the same boat.

Final point, and mainly because this isn't mentioned often enough, the best part of EV ownership isn't how cheap it is to run... it's how silent and stress-free it is to drive (if you ask my wife), and it's how much fun all that instant torque is (if you ask me!). When either of us have the choice, it's the EV which gets taken every time, for its driving pleasure.
There are a lot of emotional and some frankly dramatic arguments being made on this thread but this post makes a lot of sense and illustrates where EV would be a good choice.

There are a lot of emotional and some frankly dramatic arguments being made on this thread but this post makes a lot of sense and illustrates where EV would be a good choice.

Yes, in that it supports the anti-EV argument!

A vehicle that’s adequate ‘80% of the time’ is ridiculous.

Imagine buying a cooker that can do everything except steak. “Ah sure it’s grand, sure we only have steak one say a week…you can whip out the BBQ and cook them in the rain” the earlier adopters will tell us.

A vehicle that needs military style planning and twice as much time to get to something like a wedding down the country is in chocolate teapot territory.

Last edited:
just a curious question
if you carried a small petrol generator in the boot how long would it take to recharge a ev? (emergency charging)

People are spending 30/40/50/60 THOUSAND euro on vehicles that are suitable 80% of the time!!! Personally I think it is a form of collective madness.

just a curious question
if you carried a small petrol generator in the boot how long would it take to recharge a ev? (emergency charging)
It would take forever, assuming you could ferry petrol to it, and use the slow charge 3 pin plug. Before I got the home charger installed, I could charge the ID4 from the 3 pin socket but it would take about 19 hours and I don't think that was to 80%.

A vehicle that’s adequate ‘80% of the time’ is ridiculous.
Maybe you're too worked up to see an alternative argument Gordon. I would interpret the point made as a vehicle that works very well as a second car for those fortunate enough to be able to afford a second car. A vehicle that works very well for typical parental taxi runs with children. I can see the merit in that even if you can't. I won't be rushing out personally to replace our second car but in years to come it might be something we will consider.
If you are a one car family then your point is valid but the poster I referred to was very clear that this was not their scenario.

just a curious question

That's what they did with BMW i3 Rex. But in the end the EV version with a bigger battery was more successful.

But you can obviously buy a generator, or battery pack. One of the best EV reviewers uses one to test the range to 0%.

But you can charge one of a 3 pin plug and granny charger if needed.

Last edited:
It would take forever, assuming you could ferry petrol to it, and use the slow charge 3 pin plug. Before I got the home charger installed, I could charge the ID4 from the 3 pin socket but it would take about 19 hours and I don't think that was to 80%.
Think about it. You don't need to charge to 100%. You only need to charge enough to get to a fast or high speed charger.

People are spending 30/40/50/60 THOUSAND euro on vehicles that are suitable 80% of the time!!! Personally I think it is a form of collective madness.

It's suitable for many people 100% of the time.

How many 4x4s never go off road. How many diesels spend their entire life in a city.

And if by accident I head off on a long journey with a quarter-full tank, it takes me around two minutes to fill it and pay for the fuel. I don’t rock-up to Barack Obama Plaza and find all of the charging points taken or have to wait ages for my battery to charge.

If someone pitched this concept to you, you’d laugh and ask them to leave. It’s ridiculous.

People run out of fuel all the time. What a concept. People have to queue for petrol pumps all the time if they are busy.

The EV driver will charge mostly at home. The ICE driver fills 100% of the time at garage. The ICE driver will spend 99% more time at garages than most EV drivers.

Back