Electric Car Value Trade In. Please Help

Time has a value too... spending an extra hour of your finite life plodding along at 80km/h on a Cork Dublin motorway trip may work for some people...but again I doubt this is part of the glossy sales pitch.
There are time gains which I'm sure are (or should be) mentioned when viewing an EV purchase.

Time has a value too... spending an extra hour of your finite life plodding along at 80km/h on a Cork Dublin motorway trip may work for some people...but again I doubt this is part of the glossy sales pitch.
That wasn't the suggestion. The point being made is that it takes a huge amount of energy to drive at higher speeds, so people need to be aware that their fill of petrol/diesel/electricity that would get them 450km range around a city might get them half that at motorway speeds.

This is particularly relevant to electric cars, which tend to get less range on a fill and take longer to refill. So when you go shopping for one, it's important to consider your longest journeys and what speed you will do those journeys at.

There are time gains which I'm sure are (or should be) mentioned when viewing an EV purchase.
Yes, one being dont buy one unless it suits your needs
Precisely - hence my example of going through a 55L tank of petrol in one evenings drive! - its not a new phenomenom that the range of a vehicle is cut drastically by driving fast...it was policy in the 1970s to inform the public about optimum levels....before your time perhaps.

E=1/2 mv2 applies to any mass - even to Teslas!

Last edited:
I agree that the sales people can be misleading. Wife bought a Nissan Leaf in 2021 with a quoted range of up to 280KM. On our first trip of 140km we left fully charged from home but had to turn off the motorway for a recharge with the battery at 13% long before reaching our destination. The first two chargers we located were out of order (another issue perhaps). The garage later advised that motorway driving has the effect of reducing the maximum range. We were not speeding. I would not recommend an EV for a one car family,. EVs are fine for a predictable short commute. For long distance travel, diesel remains king. I drive a diesel and the wife borrows it when travelling long distances.
You need the right EV. We have a Kia eNiro. It has a claimed range of 460 km but I know that it will be a lot less for a winter motorway journey, about 300 km. For me this means that once a year I will have a tricky journey to visit family at Christmas which is 270 km where I arrive with 10% if I don't stop en route, which is a bit close for comfort. Charge up when I'm there and it's the same going home.

So an EV isn't for everyone, but you can't judge it by a car with a claimed range of 280 km. And always do your own research.

I was more thinking...
Those who would prefer to defrost a car from their breakfast table would save some time compared to spending 10 minutes with a scraper on the windshield.
Also save time by charging at home compared to driving to a petrol station.
There is a different rhythm for an EV. I plug my car in every day when I've used it and it is charged between 2 and 5 a.m. adding about 100 km range in real life (less for a winter motorway drive) at a cost of €1.50. I do like to heat and defrost the car before I get in but maybe some ICE cars achieve this too.

As per my last post, once a year I have to either stop halfway to charge or I reduce my speed to 105 km/h, rely on heated seats and feel uncomfortable as the charge goes down towards 10%. But I'm not going to buy a car based around that once a year when I have an OK solution.

Also I get to have a trip to the garage while I'm away to read the paper and have a coffee away from the in-laws.

You need the right EV. We have a Kia eNiro. It has a claimed range of 460 km but I know that it will be a lot less for a winter motorway journey, about 300 km. For me this means that once a year I will have a tricky journey to visit family at Christmas which is 270 km where I arrive with 10% if I don't stop en route, which is a bit close for comfort. Charge up when I'm there and it's the same going home.

So an EV isn't for everyone, but you can't judge it by a car with a claimed range of 280 km. And always do your own research.
It seems they are only suitable for short journeys. Also they will have no resale value?

It seems they are only suitable for short journeys. Also they will have no resale value?
The post that you reply to says their car can do 300km in Winter. Hardly a short journey. Most people would stop for a break at some point when undertaking such a journey.

And for everyone saying they have no resale value there are more people again complaining that they are expensive even when second hand.

Gee, where did you read that?....if so, I'm off to buy a Tesla on the cheap....

Lets not exaggerate. 300km is Cork to Dublin - if you do that every day well perhaps think about it, and 15% depreciation is standard.

As for winter driving, again lets not exaggerate....there are perhaps 10nights/days a year where temp hovers close to 0C..so yes your range is less.....the Irish use case is very favourable,,,,batteries do not like cold or hot temps, and we live on a small island with temperate climate to boot!
Temp range is 5c to 20c, with 0c or >20c on very occassional days.

Today its 10C, hardly the arctic.

Most Irish families have 2 cars, some have 4. Not many have one car.

I'll bet one of those cars can easily be swapped for an EV without any hastle.

Gee, where did you read that?....if so, I'm off to buy a Tesla on the cheap....

Lets not exaggerate. 300km is Cork to Dublin - if you do that every day well perhaps think about it, and 15% depreciation is standard.

As for winter driving, again lets not exaggerate....there are perhaps 10nights/days a year where temp hovers close to 0C..so yes your range is less.....the Irish use case is very favourable,,,,batteries do not like cold or hot temps, and we live on a small island with temperate climate to boot!
Temp range is 5c to 20c, with 0c or >20c on very occassional days.

Today its 10C, hardly the arctic.

Most Irish families have 2 cars, some have 4. Not many have one car.

I'll bet one of those cars can easily be swapped for an EV without any hastle.
If you look at the EV database https://ev-database.org/car/1666/Kia-Niro-EV , the winter figures are based on worst case scenario of -10C using heating.

We are a 2 car family and the other diesel car is on its last legs. We'll be replacing it with a second EV. I wish resale values were poor as I normally like to but a 1 to 3 year old car.

Re: https://ev-database.org/car/1666/Kia-Niro-EV , the winter figures are based on worst case scenario of -10C using heating

So this is more appropriate for central european customers - here one night of -10C every 3 0years or so is remembers as being the big freeze of 1980 or something...

And one can keep the heating low if you are actually in an environment with -10C , dressed up like the the michelin man,

ireland is near perfect for EV, benign temperatures, small country poor public transport system, mummys and daddys carting their kids around here and there => EV good in highly populated stop/start traffic....per TomTom , Dublin 2nd slowest city in europe to travel 20km,,, easy decision if you have 2 cars and have 30k+ to spend, which based on the # of 241 reg plates is quite a lot of people

Last edited:
Re: https://ev-database.org/car/1666/Kia-Niro-EV , the winter figures are based on worst case scenario of -10C using heating

So this is more appropriate for central european customers - here one night of -10C every 3 0years or so is remembers as being the big freeze of 1980 or something...

And one can keep the heating low if you are actually in an environment with -10C , dressed up like the the michelin man,

ireland is near perfect for EV, benign temperatures, small country poor public transport system, mummys and daddys carting their kids around here and there => EV good in highly populated stop/start traffic....per TomTom , Dublin 2nd slowest city in europe to travel 20km,,, easy decision if you have 2 cars and have 30k+ to spend, which based on the # of 241 reg plates is quite a lot of people
If you have 2 cars, there's an argument for a lower range car like the 40 kwh Leaf which you can pick up 2nd hand for 20k in good nick.

That's frustrating to hear. Even the longest range 62kWh Leaf would only barely manage 280km at motorway speeds, but my guess is you bought a 30kWh or 40kWh model?
Yes its a 40KWH model. The first trip described was in summer conditions so no heat on.

We have an old (10 years old and still going strong) 24kw Nissan leaf and it is used for about 80% of travel needs i.e School, shopping, work ,Gym all within the same county.
Works out great, charge from home at night.
We have an ICE car for those very occasional long Journeys. We haven't done the mythical Cork to Donegal and back in the one day yet.

E.V. won't suit every family so you need to know what you use the car for day to day.

We have an old (10 years old and still going strong) 24kw Nissan leaf and it is used for about 80% of travel needs i.e School, shopping, work ,Gym all within the same county.
Works out great, charge from home at night.
We have an ICE car for those very occasional long Journeys. We haven't done the mythical Cork to Donegal and back in the one day yet.
With a 24 kwh Leaf, you would need to really like service stations for that journey. But if your daily commute is 30km each way, it would be a great 2nd car purchase - cheap to buy and buttons to run.

The dealer is under no obligation to offer you anything at all for the car. The old saying about new cars losing X% of their value when you drive away from the showroom is true whether it is a petrol, diesel, or EV.
This may be true in the sense that no one has to engage in commercial negotiations that they don't want to however if the OP has been sold a pup or mis sold a car with misinformation on it's range, even allowing for variance then that is a different story. I understand that is not the angle the OP was proposing but it is the angle I would be bottoming out if I were in his situation.

• Is the car defective?
  • Was he mis sold a car based on false / incorrect range data?

The testing is based on an average speed of 46.5km/h in summer temperatures.
Didn't know that, very interesting. 46kph is painfully slow & not a useful indicator for consumers that are travelling long motorway distances.

The standards authority could do with adding a second tier to test the range at speeds of say 110-120kph in both warm & cold conditions.

Didn't know that, very interesting. 46kph is painfully slow & not a useful indicator for consumers that are travelling long motorway distances.

The standards authority could do with adding a second tier to test the range at speeds of say 110-120kph in both warm & cold conditions.
drive 150 - 200 km with say half of it via motor way, check your average speed afterwards, itll be a lot lower than you expect.

The ev database is good for that.

Back