Affordable Housing-Process/Plans Cork County

Re: Affordable Housing- Cork County

Hi Suzy, from what I can gather, they are meant to start allocating in around 6 weeks or so, but knowing the council this will obviously take longer. So the interviews will have to start taking place in the coming weeks. And as far as I know, they want to give out all the houses in Ballincollig together. Where are you hoping to get one, or do you not mind too much?

Did anybody know the cost for a 3 bedrooms in ballincollig.I was approved 190,000 and i am kind of worried if this will be enough for a 3bedrooms.

Hi Suzy, from what I can gather, they are meant to start allocating in around 6 weeks or so, but knowing the council this will obviously take longer. So the interviews will have to start taking place in the coming weeks. And as far as I know, they want to give out all the houses in Ballincollig together. Where are you hoping to get one, or do you not mind too much?

I was hoping for Highfields but I wouldn't mind where I got if they were to give me one. I don't seem to able to get much info from the council as to when I'll Know if I'm getting one or not. It's really stressful with all the waiting and wondering.

the interview is for douglas? does anyone know of anyone who has been called for interview. i thought the interviews originally were to assess affordability, so dont know why they are doing them now that they have sent people to banks for pre approval. doesnt that prove affordability?

Hi bigbum,

I think the interview is to assess affordabilty and make sure you will be able to repay the mortgage etc.

but wasn that the point of sending people to the banks? they are the ones lending the money so therefore should be the ones assesing your ability to pay the mortgage.

but wasn that the point of sending people to the banks? they are the ones lending the money so therefore should be the ones assesing your ability to pay the mortgage.

I suppose I hadn't thought of it that way. I'm not sure so maybe it's go through your application etc etc in more detail and tell you bout the houses types and costs maybe?

Hi Dylanjohn I was talking to a local councillor there at lunch time he reckons they probably be starting to send out letters in the next week or 2 for the interviews.

Did anybody know the cost for a 3 bedrooms in ballincollig.I was approved 190,000 and i am kind of worried if this will be enough for a 3bedrooms.
Hi Chicken1,

All I know with regards to prices is what they put on the letters. The cheapest seems to be Greenfields, a 3 bed is 210k. I got approved for 195k, and my savings would make up the difference, so I am really hoping to get approved for one of these houses. Highfields are as expensive as 240k, and Old Quarter 230k, neither of these could I afford. They are being very vague about everything in the council, like when the interviews are starting, exactly how much are the houses, when will we even know if we are getting one!! How many points did you get? I got 155, and was told the highest for Ballincollig is 165, so hopefully Ill be ok there.

Hi Chicken1,

All I know with regards to prices is what they put on the letters. The cheapest seems to be Greenfields, a 3 bed is 210k. I got approved for 195k, and my savings would make up the difference, so I am really hoping to get approved for one of these houses. Highfields are as expensive as 240k, and Old Quarter 230k, neither of these could I afford. They are being very vague about everything in the council, like when the interviews are starting, exactly hou much are the houses, when will we even know if we are getting one!! How many points did you get? I got 155, and was told the highest for Ballincollig is 165, so hopefully Ill be ok there.

Hi dhlanjohn,
I got 150 point but i do not know if that will help.Do you know how many houses they are given out in ballincollig in all.What saving do one really need.

Hi dhlanjohn,
I got 150 point but i do not know if that will help.Do you know how many houses they are given out in ballincollig in all.What saving do one really need.

Hi Chicken 1 there are about 100 houses to be given out between the 3 places. I think its just the 3% dep & legal fees you need to have in savings really. have you heard anything from the council

Hi Chicken1,
150 points is still high, and if you got the letter to go to the bank for approval, they are obviously considering you. With regards to savings, they did originally say that 3% deposit + legal fees as a minimum was required, but that was when the council themselves were providing the mortgage. On the letter they sent out, they gave a very vague range of prices, like highfields 180k-240k, old quarter 170k-230k, and Greenfields 160k-210k. So going from that, I would imagine the cheaper prices shown are the 2 beds, working their way up to the most expensive 3 bed. So thats what I mean when I say I reckon the cheapest 3 bed is 210k in Greenfields, but that would be an end of terrace, so a mid terrace will probably be cheaper, maybe 205k?? Not too sure as they are not saying, this is just what I think. So if you got approval for 190k, you might be safer having around 15k in savings to make up the difference. But this is just what I think, I could be all wrong, and the houses might be even cheaper again. I hope Im actually making sense here!!

Hi folks,

I got a letter asking me to go and get an Approval in Principal for Ardfield which I got and sent it in. Did anyone else hear anything yet from the county hall.. also I must have had expressed an interest with the AH South Cork and got another letter from them to get an approval in principal for Carrigtowhill. Anyone else get a similar letter. I originally applied for Ballincollig and Carrigaline and havent heard anything about those houses. Did the letters go out to people to get an approval in principal for Greenfields? Spoke to one of the girls in the council a few weeks ago and she told me Castletreasure will be released in the new year (probably Nov 2008 the way they operate)...

Hi, i got a letter of aproval also, and got the list for the carrigtwohill houses but its a bit too far away. i was hoping to go with the shared ownership scheme, anyone else hear if it was done away with?

Hi folks,

I got a letter asking me to go and get an Approval in Principal for Ardfield which I got and sent it in. Did anyone else hear anything yet from the county hall.. also I must have had expressed an interest with the AH South Cork and got another letter from them to get an approval in principal for Carrigtowhill. Anyone else get a similar letter. I originally applied for Ballincollig and Carrigaline and havent heard anything about those houses. Did the letters go out to people to get an approval in principal for Greenfields? Spoke to one of the girls in the council a few weeks ago and she told me Castletreasure will be released in the new year (probably Nov 2008 the way they operate)...

I got a letter to get approval in principle for the houses in Ballincollig a couple of weeks but still haven't heard anything from the council. I have heard of people getting called for interviews in Douglas. How many points did you get?

the interview is for douglas? does anyone know of anyone who has been called for interview. i thought the interviews originally were to assess affordability, so dont know why they are doing them now that they have sent people to banks for pre approval. doesnt that prove affordability?
Hi Jasonia,

Just wondering when your interview is for, and can you let me know what they asked etc, if you get a chance. Also, did they contact you by phone, or post to ask you to go into them? I find myself watching the post every morning in case there is something there from them!!

Hi Dylanjohn,

One of the local councillors said that they write out about the interview but I know people who have gotten ah before and it was phone calls they got. I am the same checking my phone and the post. They were talking about greenfields on 96fm earlier and it has really turned me off them!

Hi Dylanjohn,

One of the local councillors said that they write out about the interview but I know people who have gotten ah before and it was phone calls they got. I am the same checking my phone and the post. They were talking about greenfields on 96fm earlier and it has really turned me off them!
Oh no, really. What were they saying about them, I missed it!!

Hi, i got a letter of aproval also, and got the list for the carrigtwohill houses but its a bit too far away. i was hoping to go with the shared ownership scheme, anyone else hear if it was done away with?

MT, it's the City Council that has apparently stopped doing the shared ownership, not the County

Hi Jasonia,

Just wondering when your interview is for, and can you let me know what they asked etc, if you get a chance. Also, did they contact you by phone, or post to ask you to go into them? I find myself watching the post every morning in case there is something there from them!!

I was just onto the council they started some of the interviews today for Ballincollig!

Back