Affordable Housing-Process/Plans Cork County

Re: Affordable Housing- Cork County

Ok thanks, I'd say our weakness is the savings so, with the rent we're paying we find it impossible to save that amunt of money! Maybe in a few years, when we have cleared our loans (still paying off a carloan and australia ;) I got a letter today about 2bed apts in Model Farm Rd, but we're planning a family so need a big house. If you were offered an apt and turned it down, does that mean your back to the end of the list? And do you think they would look down on the fact that I'm only in Ireland for 3 years?

The apts on Model Fram Road will be about 220k anyway, not to affordable. And not even built from what I can see!

Unfortunately you won't get a bigger house just because you are 'planning' a family, they tend to keep those for actual families. Singles get offered the smaller apartments/houses as far as I can see (the bank official also told me this...)

The apts on Model Fram Road will be about 220k anyway, not to affordable. And not even built from what I can see!

Unfortunately you won't get a bigger house just because you are 'planning' a family, they tend to keep those for actual families. Singles get offered the smaller apartments/houses as far as I can see (the bank official also told me this...)

In my opinion that's ridiculous! So you are supposed to buy a small 2bed, then have say 3 children and live with them there for 20 years...I'm loving this scheme more and more ;) It feels like I'm gonna be stuck in my rented little box until I'm 45 (I'm 25) :(

By the way, in the councils view, do you have to be married to not be considered single? Myself and my partner are only living together...

By the way, in the councils view, do you have to be married to not be considered single? Myself and my partner are only living together...

Hi Vikinggirl, If you and you're partner apply together the City council won't offer you a 2 bedroom, you're more likely to get a 3 bedroom or bigger.
Have you just applied now?
My advice is just to save as much as you can and send the council regular statements from your savings account as they seemed to like that when I applied.

Hi Vikinggirl, If you and you're partner apply together the City council won't offer you a 2 bedroom, you're more likely to get a 3 bedroom or bigger.
Have you just applied now?
My advice is just to save as much as you can and send the council regular statements from your savings account as they seemed to like that when I applied.

Thanks damocl
Ya we applied a month ago, as joint applicants so I will keep my fingers crossed. Can I ask you how often should I update my statements? weekly, monthly or maybe every 2 months? Do I just pass them in to the city hall?

Thanks damocl
Ya we applied a month ago, as joint applicants so I will keep my fingers crossed. Can I ask you how often should I update my statements? weekly, monthly or maybe every 2 months? Do I just pass them in to the city hall?

I updated them around 4 times in 7 months while on the waiting list. If i were you i'd update them monthly. Just posted the statements in. I actually never once set foot in the city hall offices so i don't think calling in there would make any difference

Hi, did anyone get a letter from the council saying that they were unsuccessful in this round of assesssments?? I didnt myself, but a friend of mine did today. Im praying i dont get one in the post next week. It didnt give a reason why, but she reckons it was the lack of affordability, as she got 150 points and was told initially that this was quite high.

hey dylanjohn, did they give your friend any indication as to why she was not succesful or was she not given any explanation in the letter? did she apply as a single applicant or with a partner?

hey dylanjohn, did they give your friend any indication as to why she was not succesful or was she not given any explanation in the letter? did she apply as a single applicant or with a partner?
Hey BB,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, had no access to a computer. My friend rang and was told it was her affordability. She applied as a single applicant. I have also applied as a single applicant, and I got a letter today saying I am being considered for a house in Ballincollig, and I have been asked to go to a list of 3 banks and try get loan approval. A good portion of my income is social welfare, and I was told all along from the council that this wasnt a problem as this was all taken into consideration as income. The banks do not consider this as income. Feeling very nervous as to what is going to happen now.

i got one of those letters also this morning but for a place called monsfieldstown in rochestown, i have never heard of it and dont know whether they are houses or apts. did they give you a price range of houses in ballincollig?

Old Quarter, Ballincollig €170,000 - €230,000.
Highfields Ballincollig, €180,000 - €240,000.
Greenfields Ballincollig, €160,000 - €210,000.
These are the price ranges I was given. I asked the council if I was refused by the banks, is that me out of the running. I was told no, that there is still a chance I will get a mortgage from them. Dont know what my chances are though. I was working full time, but when I was going back to work in Feb this year after maternity leave, I asked would I still be eligible for affordable housing if I returned part time and was in receipt of social welfare, and was assured this wasnt a problem. Really doubting that this was a good move since I got this letter.

you would think at this stage they would be able to give a definite price of the units those price ranges dont really help your situation. i know that the maximum the council will lend is 180,000 but you would be given the option of purchasing through shared ownership also.

you would think at this stage they would be able to give a definite price of the units those price ranges dont really help your situation. i know that the maximum the council will lend is 180,000 but you would be given the option of purchasing through shared ownership also.
Hey guys, did ye just receive those letters 2day, I didnt hear anything yet but fingers crossed that I do. Would they ever just make up their minds and tell me.

I know BB, its a joke. The lowest prices for each estate shown are for 2 beds, working their way up to the most expensive 3 beds (i.e end of terrace/semi-detached). What prices were you given for that estate in Rochestown? I was told yesterday to see what the bank will give me, and they will review this in the council. So what Im thinking is the council might make up the difference with the bank. Thats if I am getting allocated. I was told that this letter is definetly a good thing, so fingers crossed.

Hey guys, did ye just receive those letters 2day, I didnt hear anything yet but fingers crossed that I do. Would they ever just make up their minds and tell me.
Hey saucystunner,

I just received this letter yesterday. But I rang last week and gave them my reference number, and they had told me to expect it. I think you should maybe ring them and give them your reference number, as they seem to be at a stage where they might be able to tell you whats happening with your case. Its definetly a good thing that you didnt get a letter telling you that you were unsuccessful. I know a few people did get one of those letters.

ya i got the letter yesterday also. did you visit any of the banks listed yet on the letters dylanjohn. i got to call to ebs and iib yesterday and were pretty positive i should get the amount needed, i,m just waiting to hear back now from them with a definite offer.

ya i got the letter yesterday also. did you visit any of the banks listed yet on the letters dylanjohn. i got to call to ebs and iib yesterday and were pretty positive i should get the amount needed, i,m just waiting to hear back now from them with a definite offer.

I went to the banks aswell, not too sure whats happening,. Waiting on EBS to get back to me, but its not looking too positive. As I said earlier, I am also in receipt of social welfare, and Im a single applicant, so I dont think Ill meet the criteria for the banks. I know the council will still give mortgages to a certain amount of people who dont get approval from the banks so Im still hoping. If I can get approval for something from the banks, I think the council might provide the rest. Not too sure how its going to work to be honest. What was the price range you were given for your houses? Are you a single applicant, or is there 2 of you?

there is two of us so that certainly does help. the price given was 227k

there is two of us so that certainly does help. the price given was 227k
Well, best of luck with it all. Hopefully the years of waiting might finally be coming to an end!! Im keeping my fingers crossed anyway!

Back