World Cup "Investments"

Status
Not open for further replies.
CRO v NIG

Croatia hot favourites, but Nigeria are battlers. Low-scoring, tentative game. Fatigue to play a big factor in the outcome after 70mins.

Going for the outsiders here.

Nigeria to win @6.6
Still listening, enjoying the updates. Perhaps at the end you can tell us how many bitcoin you won:)

Still listening, enjoying the updates. Perhaps at the end you can tell us how many bitcoin you won:)

Betting with Bitcoin? That would be criminal. Nothing more than a money laundering, ponzi scheming, tax evasion racket!

Money laundering and tax evasion with fiat currency much more virtuous by far!! :cool:
Just look at a very recent €18m tax settlement by one of the world's richest sports stars.
A once-off no doubt! :D , oh wait...his nemesis in Barca was caught too!

Regardless...it was fiat, so thats OK!!:rolleyes:

GOAL!

1-0 Croatia...you are bursting my Mo-Jo:D:D

10 out 17 right. Still up financially, just about!
No more messing, looking forward to day 4 and start "investing" proper ;)

COSTA RICA v SERBIA - Im avoiding this one.

GERM V MEX - Draw is an option? But will plump for the Gerrys to prevail @ 1.46

BRA V SWITZ - Can only relish the prospect of watching the Brazilians if they perform to their capabilities. Straight forward win @ 1.45

I see that for even a mickey mouse match like CR v Serbia Betfair has matched more than €20m. Compare that with the "Bitcoin End 2018 Price" market which has been running for about 6 months and hasn't reached €200K yet.

Last edited:
mickey mouse match like CR v Serbia

Tell that to Costa Ricans and Serbians! Perhaps his Dukiness thinks the centre of the world revolves somewhere close to him? :rolleyes:

What the connect is between the World Cup and Bitcoin price at end 2018 is anyones guess! o_O

In the meantime, winnings from first game loading onto Brazil to help salvage some of the wreckage inflicted by the Mexicans! ;)

What the connect is between the World Cup and Bitcoin price at end 2018 is anyones guess! o_O
There is no connection, so don't even guess. I thought it was interesting though that a speculation which for some time consumed many on this forum, including your good self, has got on the Betfair stage in six months 1% of the interest compared to what a match between Costa Rica and Serbia has got in 90 minutes.

I was only indicating that such an opening group match is not really to be compared with a final between say Spain and Brazil. No offence was intended to the good people of those countries by the Disney reference; anyway I suspect they wouldn't be in the least bit concerned with the duke's comments unlike the PC brigade who would be wanting to hang him out to dry for such blatant racism:rolleyes:

I thought it was interesting though that a speculation which for some time consumed many on this forum, including your good self, has got on the Betfair stage in six months 1% of the interest compared to what a match between Costa Rica and Serbia has got in 90 minutes.

Two completely different phenomena.
Take for instance the interest in this topic on the WC compared to the input on Bitcoin.
If it wasn't for your goodself id be getting the impression I am talking to myself! ( Notwithstanding that Firefly is keeping a beady eye on things :p).

15mins to KO. Hope it delivers:).

I am reading this thread with some interest as I bet a few bob regularly for fun and keep an account of all my "investments." My horse racing returns are pretty drastic, but I enjoy the sport. My football coupon gambling is not good either. My golf predicting fares probably worse than any. My hurling predictions give the occasional good return and I am not losing too much. I am not a Gaelic Football big fan and ironically for the past few years I have gained good profit especially in the first and second periods of the playoffs where teams having lost their first game face each other in a knock-out game. I bet accumulators (usually 8 games with accumulative odds @ over 15/1) on my predictions and am glad to say this year I am surprised with the amount of my profit todate. All thanks to the World Cup and some obvious winning GAA results.

This year (because of interest in the World Cup) odds are better in Gaelic Football and I'm a little more better off than in previous years. The bookies have to attract punters and with the hype of the WC the like of Gaelic Football bets are relatively few. Bookies need punters so they lay better odds. The WC is the glamour competition of the year. We can see the "cashing out" options, some of the poxy draws and Mexico beating Germany, Switzerland and the great Brazil in a draw etc. I reckon as the tournament continues we will see superstar players not risking injury, suffering loony trauma because of bad misses or disappointment in their latest tattoos or stupid hairdos.

But,, a few bob is there for the taking. Think Gaelic Football for the next week or so. In my time I used to work for an on-course bookie and I am not stupid enough to think easy profits are readily available. But, Gaelic Football is turning out the easiest profit for sensible punters.

Being a bit of a killjoy here but this thread really shows me how successful bookies have been in this country. Personally I think it's really sad when people tune in to sporting events purely for profit making and can't enjoy the match for what it is, but rather keep checking for in game betting options. Is it any wonder we're ranked as one of the biggest gambling nations in the world.

Being a bit of a killjoy here but this thread really shows me how successful bookies have been in this country. Personally I think it's really sad when people tune in to sporting events purely for profit making and can't enjoy the match for what it is, but rather keep checking for in game betting options. Is it any wonder we're ranked as one of the biggest gambling nations in the world.

For me it wouldn't be purely for profit. Sport is to a large extent about partiality, and having something small riding on the game between say Serbia and Costa Rica means you have 'a dog in the fight'. It actually enhances your interest in the game. As I've picked Griezmann to be top scorer, the adrenalin was flowing when he stepped up to take the penalty for France.
For something like Spain v Portugal as a neutral I enjoyed that game but they are two of the top teams in world football.

If partiality wasn't a factor in sport, then if Ireland has qualified, we shouldn't expect viewing figures to be any higher for their games than say that of Switzerland.

I don't think we are one of the biggest gambling nations in the world. I think ours is done in public view and tracked. In a lot of countries it happens in illegal black markets.

Perhaps I should have clarified from the beginning, that this topic is nothing more than a bit of fun.
There are no life-changing amounts involved here, nor would I advocate anyone to risk such on a sports event. I deliberately did not detail the €€€ amounts involved.

I would have thought the biggest sporting event on the planet would have drawn more commentary on prospective outcomes?
Sadly, and despite the volumes of money being placed on Betfair betting exchanges (let alone all the other gambling outlets), it appears a comparatively obscure concept like Bitcoin will invoke far greater reaction.

But you raise a fair point, gambling in this country (and elsewhere) is a serious issue. And after an excellent start, im now back in negative territory :( .

So I will refrain, not only from mentioning the €€€ amount, but also the book price.

I do think England and Belgium will get off to winning starts.
I cant call Sweden/SK game other than traditionally the SK love to play attacking football, so I would expect a few goals at least.

Perhaps I should have clarified from the beginning, that this topic is nothing more than a bit of fun.
There are no life-changing amounts involved here, nor would I advocate anyone to risk such on a sports event. I deliberately did not detail the €€€ amounts involved.
This is the key point. Of course problem gambling is a curse as is problem drinking, but for the majority these are healthy additions to life's tapestry (do you like that?).

I will mention money amounts. For real mickey mouse contests I might bet €10 to give an interest and as a duke you can believe that €10 is not life changing, but it does get even a duke involved. Try it ceist and lighten up a tad:p

I did try it Duke and found it ruined my enjoyment of the game so I stepped away from it. Maybe it's like someone who prefers not to drink because of how they behave when drunk - I just saw the danger signs and decided it wasn't a suitable pastime for me.
You're all adults and I'm not trying to stop anyone from having a bet (and I'm sure none of you are at all concerned what I think), I'm merely making an observation on how I see betting is pretty much part of most conversations on sport these days.

Betting for me is fun and nothing more. It's like my Lotto numbers twice a week; I do them religiously in the hope that some unworked-for easy money comes my way sometime. If it doesn't the bank is not broken. CB knew almost instantly that betting was not for him and he stepped away - good for him and congrats on smelling the coffee.

Tough on the young Tunisian keeper, he was keeping his team in the game but has paid for his heroics.

England will probably want to at least beat the Belgium scoreline from earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back