Will you go for a pint when restrictions are lifted?

Guidelines for hospitality published...

• A maximum of six people aged 13 years and over will be allowed per table when restaurants, pubs and cafés open next month. However, Covid-19 safety guidelines issued this morning by Fáilte Ireland also say that when accompanying children under the age of 12 are included, up to 15 people will be allowed at the one table.

• Tables will have to be at least one metre apart both outdoors and indoors under the refreshed rules.
  • Inside, one-metre distancing will only be allowed if the table is pre-booked and all public health measures are adhered to, including contact tracing, ventilation and enhanced hygiene protocols.
  • There will be no limit on how long customers can remain eating and drinking outdoors, nor will there be a limit on duration indoors where tables are at least two metres apart.
  • However, if tables are only one metre away from each other visits will be limited to one hour and 45 minutes.

• There will no longer be a requirement for customers to purchase a meal worth a minimum of €9.
  • However, only table service will be allowed both inside and outside. Premises, including outdoor areas, will have to be cleared of all customers by 11.30pm.
  • There are also measures to control noise levels, with no live or loud music permitted.
  • There is also a strong emphasis on the importance of ventilation of indoor spaces in the guidelines
I'm surprised that there no mention of premises that have screening in place between tables.
Where I go for a pint they invested heavily in that and it was accepted by all and it did make you feel safer, eventough there probably isn't any reason for that feeling.

It's a start I suppose many will welcome it and there will be the usual outcry from others.

I started off this thread back in May 2020....

I have only been to a pub once since then to have an outdoor pint. I have to say I don't think I will be sampling any more in the near future.

Have you?

Same as that Bronco - one pub visit during the summer where we sat outdoors. It was lovely, but I certainly won't be going near one over the coming months.

I'm lucky my local has a pretty good outdoor space with a few heaters and TVs .
I enjoy a few 3 on a Sunday with my journal planning the week ahead, and seeing the stuff I didn't complete the previous week.

I need a few hours of my time and allow the brain concentrate on other stuff.

I started off this thread back in May 2020....

I have only been to a pub once since then to have an outdoor pint. I have to say I don't think I will be sampling any more in the near future.

Have you?
I'm averaging around one trip a week. Usually outdoors.
Ye can't live like a monk!

Yea the same I have been out most weekends, also attended pubs with music. aswell.
To paraphrase Clint Eastwood " There are two types of people in this world, those that worry about Covid and those that don't"

I was in three pubs in Dublin on Saturday last (I know).
Two were checking Covid Certs and people were wearing masks when moving around etc.
The third, with a close association with The Dubliners, made no attempt to control anything. People were standing everywhere, singing and milling around and not one person other than staff was masked. We didn't feel comfortable there and we left after one drink.

Well I'm in my local long day of dentistry for the wife, but they got audited by the HSE yesterday and it was clean but today its operating theatre standards.

Two lads , students I'd say, walked in no cert no entry and no masks, they are out in the smoking area with me, giving out.

C'EST la vie mon ami.

Was in Dublin earlier had a coffee while she was busy, I waited until someone to check my vaccine passport, nobody came, a coffee at €4.30 and this was on Baggot Street

Yea the same I have been out most weekends, also attended pubs with music. aswell.
To paraphrase Clint Eastwood " There are two types of people in this world, those that worry about Covid and those that don't"
Did Clint Eastwood ever say that, or anything like it? either in movies or life.

He was mayor of Carmel , CA , and was tough on chewing gum , Covid-19 wasn't on the radar.

I was in three pubs in Dublin on Saturday last (I know).
Two were checking Covid Certs and people were wearing masks when moving around etc.
The third, with a close association with The Dubliners, made no attempt to control anything. People were standing everywhere, singing and milling around and not one person other than staff was masked. We didn't feel comfortable there and we left after one drink.

Did Clint Eastwood ever say that, or anything like it? either in movies or life.

He was mayor of Carmel , CA , and was tough on chewing gum , Covid-19 wasn't on the radar.
No he said
"there are 2 kinds of people in this world, those that have loaded shotguns and those that don't"
Spoken in his quintessential soft accent in one of those spaghetti westerns

Last edited:
No he said
"there are 2 kinds of people in this world, those that have loaded shotguns and those that don't"
Spoken in his quintessential soft accent in one of those spaghetti westerns
Those 'two types of people' lines always reminds me of, 'There are three types of people in the world, those who can count and those that can't'.

Those 'two types of people' lines always reminds me of, 'There are three types of people in the world, those who can count and those that can't'.
Or, there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't

From someone not that good at counting I wouldn't think the vaccine is very effective.It is hard to keep blaming the unvaccinated (which I have given up doing) when figures are so high including cases ,hospitalisations and sadly deaths.

From someone not that good at counting I wouldn't think the vaccine is very effective.It is hard to keep blaming the unvaccinated (which I have given up doing) when figures are so high including cases ,hospitalisations and sadly deaths.
US CDC figures indicate that 98% of hospitalisations and 99% of deaths are amongst the unvaccinated.
Those numbers aren't hard to understand.

US CDC figures indicate that 98% of hospitalisations and 99% of deaths are amongst the unvaccinated.
Those numbers aren't hard to understand.
Them figures are not even close to Irelands and I presume you are not implying so.I wouldn't believe award of it.

Well all the data is available, Germany has 67% vaccinated and now are fighting a massive breakout of the virus and the vast majority of these cases and subsequent hospitalizations are unvaccinated. Same in Russia, Ukraine, US, Japan, Brazil to name a few countries that have high hesitancy.

As stated numerous times here and generally the vaccines can only do so much, we citizens must do our bit to , ie mask wearing, washing hands and social distancing .

Them figures are not even close to Irelands and I presume you are not implying so.I wouldn't believe award of it.
If you aren't very good at counting, and apparently comprehension, perhaps you shouldn't be second guessing the advice of the experts from every major health authority in the world which is that the vaccines are very effective at reducing your risk of ending up in hospital or dying from covid.

So the best thing you can do to avoid putting strain on the health service, which could lead to the closure of pubs and hospitality is... get vaccinated.
That and don't go to the pub if you have any covid symptoms. Have a hot whiskey at home instead *

* This may not be WHO approved

Back