Will you go for a pint when restrictions are lifted?

It just put unnecessary cost and headache on hospitality who had to spend alot of money on kitchens and "chefs" and then got closed down anyway after a few weeks at Christmas.

No one forced pubs to pretend to be restaurants. The vintners lobbied hard for the pubs that served food to be treated the same as restaurants which were shown to be lower risk. The government acquiesced and some pubs of their own volition installed kitchens to they could open as a restaurant. The blame for shutting them down quickly lays squarely on the publicans who were failing to implement basic distancing or stick to the rules and their customers, remember the scenes of people dancing on bars?

I see Tony holohan back just as we are on the verge of reopening the economy, Tony holohan is a big fish and a well established hawk on the hospitality sector, however the government needs to take full control now and not defer back to nphet the whole time again. We simply can no longer afford this level of lockdown s which were after all only introduced originally to "level the curve". The hospitality sector needs to be fully reopened this summer absolutely no nonsense about dining and 9 euro meals this summer, totally unacceptable.

The hospitality sector needs to be fully reopened this summer absolutely no nonsense about dining and 9 euro meals this summer, totally unacceptable.

You've made this comment many times. By "hospitality sector" you must mean pubs. The "nonsense" about dining last Summer was a proxy to (a) maintain distance and size of groups and (b) limit time spent indoors. So even if there is no €9 requirement, there will still be something to address the two requirements.

If by getting rid of the "nonsense" you hope to go back to full pubs, I suspect you need to prepare yourself for disappointment.

If by getting rid of the "nonsense" you hope to go back to full pubs, I suspect you need to prepare yourself for disappointment.
No of course I didn't mean that, I meant that the ridiculous distinction between different sectors of hospitality and the 9euro meal nonsense, and it was nonsense. We should follow what they are doing in UK and Europe rather than going on a solo run again. It just ended up being a media circus along with the obligatory witch hunt and did not contribute anything to curbing the numbers
We need to get the city of Dublin functioning normally again or else we end up with a crime ridden Detroit with anti social behaviour, urination and worse on the streets and an upsurge in violence and stabbings.

Last edited:
No of course I didn't mean that, I meant that the ridiculous distinction between different sectors of hospitality and the 9euro meal nonsense, and it was nonsense. We should follow what they are doing in UK and Europe rather than going on a solo run again. It just ended up being a media circus along with the obligatory witch hunt and did not contribute anything to curbing the numbers
We need to get the city of Dublin functioning normally again or else we end up with a crime ridden Detroit with anti social behaviour, urination and worse on the streets and an upsurge in violence and stabbings.
Can you say what you mean then. You have a problem with "€9 Euro meal nonsense". So that implies hospitality which doesn't involve meals - so if not pubs what are you talking about.

And the fever dream about crime and urine ridden streets of Dublin - that's some leap. What will happen will be limited capacity indoor venues (maybe 25%) with time limits and outdoor activity. Not exactly a Judge Dredd dystopia.

Might want to start adjusting to that idea - save yourself the angst and anguish in the Summer

We do need to remember that if we observe social distancing the chances of becoming infected outdoor is extremely low. In our case outdoor infections account of about one in one thousand cases.

The problem from the start, the problem at Christmas and the problem now is people congregating in each other's homes, not shops or the limited opening of pubs and restaurants we saw over Christmas. That said having packed pubs now would be a really stupid idea but I see no issue with outside dining, beer gardens etc. as long as numbers are controlled and rules are followed.

The problem from the start, the problem at Christmas and the problem now is people congregating in each other's homes, not shops or the limited opening of pubs and restaurants we saw over Christmas. That said having packed pubs now would be a really stupid idea but I see no issue with outside dining, beer gardens etc. as long as numbers are controlled and rules are followed.

Agreed - I suspect by next month they'll loosen up outdoor social activities. I'd say most towns / cities are planning a lot of outdoor tables / pedestrianised zones. Already happening a bit

No of course I didn't mean that, I meant that the ridiculous distinction between different sectors of hospitality and the 9euro meal nonsense, and it was nonsense.
If it was nonsense then blame the pubs that tried to pretend they were restaurants then failed to implement the measures they said they would.

Are you seriously claiming that not opening the pubs just yet will turn Dublin into the next Detroit? When alcohol consumption was a significant factor in pre-covid violent public order offences? When violent crime, public order, organised crime, and property damage offence rates have all fallen with the closure of pubs?

We need to get the economy open again, but not just for a few weeks until the next wave. Given the sharp spikes in cases in areas such as Cavan where pubs opened after major GAA games, perhaps the pubs should be the last thing to be opened.

Agreed - I suspect by next month they'll loosen up outdoor social activities. I'd say most towns / cities are planning a lot of outdoor tables / pedestrianised zones. Already happening a bit
Look at pubs in the UK they have invested heavily in "outdoor " areas and they paid themselves.
I believe Princess Street in Cork was a great success last year.

Are you seriously claiming that not opening the pubs just yet will turn Dublin into the next Detroit? When alcohol consumption was a significant factor in pre-covid violent public order offences? When violent crime, public order, organised crime, and property damage offence rates have all fallen with the closure of pubs?
The fact that pubs , hospitality and other businesses are closed means that there are no places for people to go to the toilet so they are doing it on the streets, no footfall means that the city is becoming shabby , outdoor drinking, juveniles fighting in the city centre stabbings etc around Samuel beckett bridge and the docklands etc. This is happening as a result of the lockdowns .

The dogs in the street know there's drinking "barns", "shebeens", call them what you want, all over the place. Thankfully not my hobby, but if it was i'd have to say I would be tempted. Ah, in the bloody middle of it i'd be to tell the truth :cool: .
Why don't I report them? Nah, things are bad enough.

The fact that pubs , hospitality and other businesses are closed means that there are no places for people to go to the toilet so they are doing it on the streets, no footfall means that the city is becoming shabby , outdoor drinking, juveniles fighting in the city centre stabbings etc around Samuel beckett bridge and the docklands etc. This is happening as a result of the lockdowns .

OK, so you do realise that lower footfall just makes some of these acts more visible to the public, but that rates of all those crimes are down since the pubs were shut?

It would be understandable if frustration resulting from extended lockdowns is fuelling some level of violent and public order offences, but the fact remains that there were a lot more such offences taking place when the pubs were open. When pubs were open you used to see way more public urination on weekend nights as people spilled out of bars to head home.

The dogs in the street know there's drinking "barns", "shebeens", call them what you want, all over the place. Thankfully not my hobby, but if it was i'd have to say I would be tempted. Ah, in the bloody middle of it i'd be to tell the truth :cool: .
Why don't I report them? Nah, things are bad enough.
...because you don't like reporting on your neighbours.

;)

Guidelines for hospitality published...

• A maximum of six people aged 13 years and over will be allowed per table when restaurants, pubs and cafés open next month. However, Covid-19 safety guidelines issued this morning by Fáilte Ireland also say that when accompanying children under the age of 12 are included, up to 15 people will be allowed at the one table.

• Tables will have to be at least one metre apart both outdoors and indoors under the refreshed rules.
  • Inside, one-metre distancing will only be allowed if the table is pre-booked and all public health measures are adhered to, including contact tracing, ventilation and enhanced hygiene protocols.
  • There will be no limit on how long customers can remain eating and drinking outdoors, nor will there be a limit on duration indoors where tables are at least two metres apart.
  • However, if tables are only one metre away from each other visits will be limited to one hour and 45 minutes.

• There will no longer be a requirement for customers to purchase a meal worth a minimum of €9.
  • However, only table service will be allowed both inside and outside. Premises, including outdoor areas, will have to be cleared of all customers by 11.30pm.
  • There are also measures to control noise levels, with no live or loud music permitted.
  • There is also a strong emphasis on the importance of ventilation of indoor spaces in the guidelines

Back