Wifi internet radio

Clubman, have you taken the plunge yet - I'm tempted by the Blik Radio Station ?
I see that Argos still have the Tranciva IR804 in their new catalog but now it's 40% dearer than in the old catalog (€126 instead of €90)! :eek: Anyway - as you know I gave up on that one after getting four units, none of which was acceptable. Instead I picked up a refurbished Revo Blik Radiostation on the Revo outlet eBay store for the equivalent of €122.

Will any of these internet radio work with linux (Ubuntu)?
What do you mean by "work with Linux"? Do you mean access a Linux share or something? This should work with Samba shares.

We got a Bush Internet Radio about two years ago, it has since broken, it only cost €90.

I'm looking for similar replacement, is it just me or have all the prices jumped to about €150 and above. Isn't technology suppose to get cheaper each year?

Anyone recommend where I can pick up a good one for under €150?

Alternative is to buy an old iPod touch on eBay (€100) and put Internet Radio App (€1.99).

I can listen to any radio station from iPhone . Sound quality on speaker is good or can just put it onto a player device. Tons of Internet radio aps and a lot of stations have their own aps. Very easy to access and listen to podcasts . Also can listen over 3 g when there is a wifi problem or when driving
I am sure it is the same with other phones also
Am I missing something why would you need to buy an Internet radio ?

Am I missing something why would you need to buy an Internet radio ?

Cost.
Speaker quality.
It's a dedicated radio, instead of something that can do something similar.
You don't have to recharge it.
Other people listening the the radio aren't inconvenienced when you need the iPhone for something else, like answering a phone call
If you're an apple hater

I had a cheapo Bush brand internet radio a few months back and it was very good. It was handy for flicking all around the globe to listen to channels from all over, but funnily enough I ended up storing the likes of TodayFM on the favourites!! Whats the point, eh?

The only gripe I have with these radios is the fact that you can receive 6000+ radio stations, and have between 5 and 10 presets.

Not sure how they would affect your monthy download allowance on your internet package. Can anyone calculate how much, for example, a 64kbps station would use in a month if listened to for 2hrs per day?

I have a Roberts WM202 Wifi/DAB/FM - costs €199 in some shops in Ireland, or about €160 inc delivery from UK. Excellent interface, superb sound - has a very solid well-built feel to it, while not being heavy - but it gets significantly heavier when batteries are inserted. . I'm told that batteries (6 x D-type) don't last long, but I have no experience of this, since I use it exclusively on mains

all wifi radios are pretty much knocked into 2nd place by the wifi radio facilities on the iphone 4 and ipod touch 4th gen.
All on demand podcasts can be downloaded and taken with you in you in your pocket.
All stations available.
Very easy to use.

After a bit of research, I decided I actually couldnt afford the better brand of internet radios on the market (Roberts, Evoke etc), so I went for an "Xtreme Audio" from Power city. Fifty euro. Wow, its brilliant, easy enough to set up, did it without instructions, as there were none provided... Power city staff have arranged for a set of instructions to be sent from another branch, to be picked up in a few days.
Okay, so I really wanted one that was battery powered, but for the moment this will certainly do.
I can get the "on demand" services from the BBC, as well as the full BBC radio range.
Well impressed.:)

hi all. I'm posting for the first time. Does anyone who has a Tranciva Wifi radio know how to update the podcasts? Currently when I log onto podcasts for TodayFm for example it has podcasts from when I first bought the radio and I don't know how to update to get current ones.

Thanks in advance!

Has anyone connected a Roberts WiFi radio (Stream 205 or any Stream 20?) to an Eircom router? I have connected to a Netgear/Vodafone, and it's very simple, but the Eircom connection is "unable to connect", and various messages about DHCP. Have tried numerous settings, bith wired and wireless. Help!!!!

Hi there. The gateway ip address on routers may differ. Therefore, you may need to change this on the wifi radio. Sorry - i'm not familiar with that device - so I don't know exactly in what way you can access settings in that regard.

serotoninsid
The normal way if connecting is that the radio recognises your network name (SSID), and you enter your WEP or WPA, and it connects.

Following are configurable on the radio
DHCP enable/Disable
IP settings
Gateway Address
DNS
Encryption Type .... WEP or Disable
Encryption Type .... TKIP or AES

Does this help??

Back