Wifi internet radio

I'll check software later today. I didn't do a software upgrade but I did register with the website and "add" a few stations which they beam down to your station list - maybe a software update comes down with this list?
By the way - on all of the four units that I tried when they rebooted out of the box the "Starting up" screen displayed slightly garbled blocks for a progress bar. When the software update was done a "proper" progress bar displayed. Which does your unit display?

Why don't you buy a Logik IR100? They're available from an eBay seller for about €80. I haven't read any reports of problems with them!

I bought the Logik IR100 last week from PC World for €130. As there was insufficient reception in store to try it out properly I bought it to trial at home to make sure I was happy with quality/features etc. It was very easy to set up and I had no problem locating and listening to BBC radio - Radio 4, World Service etc. The quality of the signal was very good but I was unhappy that there are only 5 preset stations - very limiting when you have thousands of stations to try out, also no remote control. My biggest issue though is the fact that the same product costs £69.99 in UK PC World which coverts to €88. The €130 they charge here converts to £102. I understand paying a slight premium on products being shipped here from UK but not 48%. It went back for a refund. I will wait until I find a better product at a fair price.

I bought the Logik IR100 last week from PC World for €130.

My biggest issue though is the fact that the same product costs £69.99 in UK PC World which coverts to €88. The €130 they charge here converts to £102. I understand paying a slight premium on products being shipped here from UK but not 48%. It went back for a refund. I will wait until I find a better product at a fair price.
The Logik IR100 was previously selling in Ireland for about €80 if I'm not mistaken. Did you shop around?

The Logik IR100 was previously selling in Ireland for about €80 if I'm not mistaken. Did you shop around?

I did not see the Logik anywhere else - tried Argos and Maplin. No other shops in Galway seem to stock any wi-fi radios at all. As with many things lately I imagine I will buy on line as the prices always seem to be better. I think retailers need to wake up to the fact that people will shop around more now and that it is not OK to charge heavily inflated prices. So much for our Government taking action on this as promised in May this year:

“The Tánaiste will be writing to the heads of the major retail outlets both here and in the UK in coming days to find out from them what plans they may have to deal with any unjustified price differentials that may exist,”
[broken link removed]

€70 in Curry's according to this post earlier in this thread. €70 or €79 according to this one.

Well it was €129.99 in PC World, tried Currys but was told they do not stock them although they are the same company. I just re-checked PC World and Currys uk websites, neither have an Irish site, and both offer the Logik for £69.99. Maybe they had some very special offer on to get it here for €70-€80? I would be happy enough to pay that for it so if anyone knows where I can get it for that price now I would be very grateful.

I too read the posts here saying you could get them for €70 and excitedly went to my local PC World......€130!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Now I didn't try Currys but aren't they all the same group? DSG or something? They're available on eBay for €80~ as I said but the possibility of getting one locally was very appealing just in case there were any problems.

edit:: Just checked up and they are indeed €129.99 in Currys too. Must have been a special offer on way back when those other people got them for €70

Looks like it's this guy for now:

[broken link removed]

Just wondering if anybody has any updates on experience and recommendations in this context at this stage? As you know I gave up on the Binatone Tranciva IR804 as I could never get one from Argos that was reliable. More recently I was looking at the Revo Blik Radiostation (c. €180 from Peats) and Roberts Stream 202 (aka WM202) (c. €200 from Peats) - both are FM/DAB/Wifi internet radios (the Blik is also DAB+ and there are (unconfirmed by me) reports that the Roberts may be upgradeable to DAB+ if/when necessary). I've browsed the specifications, manuals and reviews of these but was just curious if AAM readers had any comments or other suggestions?

I bought a [broken link removed] last month & have been using it since before Christmas. It was, including p&p, approx. €85. It's not hi-fi, or even stereo.

That said, I'm delighted with it. FM radio + internet radio (incl. DAB stations) & can access music on PC folders configured as open for shared access on the home wireless network. In addition, I could connect an MP3 player through a headphone jack and use that as input.

This may be lower-spec. than what you're looking for but, for me, it's a great entry-level product for the world of internet radio. The initial enthusiasm to listen to stations from all around the world has waned and now I mostly listen to Irish stations and BBC. The kids (8yo + 6yo) regularly ask for RTE Junior to be on.

That iBood advert is a bit misleading as a post in the comments says - it looks like the Blik but seems to have been the Blik Radiostation - two very different products. €85 seems like a very good price for the Blik Radiostation. Pity I missed that one! It would suit me fine. I wouldn't mind only I get the daily iBood offer email and all... :(

.. it looks like the Blik but seems to have been the Blik Radiostation - two very different products.

The principal difference between the two appears, to me, to be DAB/DAB+ on the Blik.

On the assumption that DAB broadcasts are also available as Internet Radio on the Radiostation, and that there is just one speaker (i.e. not getting the full benefit of DAB), is the premium of the Blik, over the Radiostation, worth it ?

There seem to be three Blik models - the [broken link removed] which is FM/DAB but not WiFi/internet, the [broken link removed] which is FM/WiFi and the [broken link removed] which is FM/DAB[+]/WiFi.

I would be inclined to use the line out of such a unit to connect it to a hifi and stereo speakers so the mono issue would be moot. DAB+ is probably irrelevant right now as I'm not aware of anything other than DAB (trial?) services on offer in Ireland.

Re: Binatone Tranciva IR804, Wifi internet radio

Hi everyone, i have recently purchased a Binatone Tranciva IR804, I have to say i am really happy with it, its true enough that while on the WiFi setting, there is a fairly low interference from the WiFi signal coming through (faint ticking/hummimg), playing on the speaker its barely audible (sound needs to be turned right down) same goes for plugging in my speaker system into the headphone jack (sounds great, however when using headphones the interference 'although low' does get annoying, Unfortunately im not in a position to exchange the model since i live abroad, i am just wondering if there could be a way to insulate the speaker/headphone jack from the WiFi interference. I guess this means opening the unit up!

I have done the firmware update, and it says firmware is upto date

On all other settings the quality is excellent

what do people think?

Re: Binatone Tranciva IR804, Wifi internet radio

what do people think?
You probably know what I think if you read the rest of the thread! 4 units from Argos and none worked properly. They don't seem to be selling them at the moment - or maybe running down stock before the new catalogue comes out.

Will any of these internet radio work with linux (Ubuntu)?
Any updates on radios please.
Thanks, Anna

I bought the Roberts WM201 (http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/Products/Internet_radios/STREAM_201/index.htm) a few months back and have been very happy with it. Sound quality in particular is excellent, it supports Realaudio (needed for most BBC radio stations), it hooks into the BBC Listen Again service, and it has a remote control. It currently retails online for about UK£180, but I've seen it here (in Virgin I think) for €300 - I chose the former source!

The Roberts WM202 looks good too, and is more of a portable radio, but I've read one review that said the sound quality was not as good as expected (for one thing it has only one speaker versus two on the WM201).

Back