Wifi internet radio

Bear in mind that their offers are one day only so if you were looking at the Riva Blik mentioned above then you'll have to wait until they do it again (if ever).

I realise that :(but

a 3-in-1 FM/DAB/Wifi internet unit.

sounds very attractive. :) I'll have to get a member of the family to do some research for me to see which one meets my other half's needs. I can't ask him, it's his birthday present.:D

Thanks again.

Yes - that's the Binatone Tranciva IR 804 from Argos for €90. I had a play with it this evening and it's very easy to use. A bigger display would be nicer but presumably add to the cost. Technically it's actually a 4-in-1 unit - Wifi internet radio streaming/podcasts, DAB, FM and it can find shared folders on your network and play audio files from there too. Obviously more expensive units will probably have more bells and whistles but for the price I was very impressed.

Here is a short test of the Binatone Tranciva IR804:

Sounds alright for the money.

There are a bunch of other reviews online too but not as much detailed technical info available yet as there is on other popular devices (e.g. the Logik IR100 in particular which has lots including information about DIY mods/hacks etc.).

Due to scratches on the casing I replaced the original unit with another at Argos. Unfortunately the new one is terrible - really bad interference/noise/hum from the speaker and when headphones are used (for stereo). This happens equally on Wifi, DAB and FM so is not necessarily Wifi related. Even when updating the firmware or scanning for DAB or FM stations there are little "blips" and "squelches" from the speaker. I'll try again and hopefully it'll be third time lucky.

Well it looks like third time unlucky. To recap:

1. First one returned due to scratches on the fascia
  2. Second one returned due to constant hum and interference through speaker and headphone output
  3. Third one? Well here you go...
I listened to the Pats match on DAB tonight, then a bit of Newstalk and then tuned into some BBC Radio 4 podcast and about 10 minutes into the latter the radio just switched off and doesn't seem to want to switch back on. Even after disconnecting and reconnecting the power it just sits there with time and date all set to zeros and won't switch on! There doesn't seem to be any manual reset (e.g. via paperclip operated switch) so there doesn't seem to be any way out of this situation.

Looks like I'm off to Argos for the fourth time now... :(:mad::rolleyes:

Looks like I'm off to Argos for the fourth time now... :(:mad::rolleyes:

Well fair play to you for being so committed but maybe it's time you admitted defeat and asked for your money back? The additional time and transport costs must be adding up at this stage, not to mention the probable inconvenience.

Plugged it in today and it started up OK. Will try it again over the weekend. I have 30 days to return it to Argos.

Plugged it in today and it started up OK. Will try it again over the weekend. I have 30 days to return it to Argos.

you sure have been unlucky. I'm betting someone in the Argos store has been on the receiving end of your wrath on AAM!

My IR804 is still going strong no complaints.

you sure have been unlucky. I'm betting someone in the Argos store has been on the receiving end of your wrath on AAM!
No - not so far.
My IR804 is still going strong no complaints.
Have you played podcasts much? I can't imagine that they are any different to streams but on two occasions I have been playing some (from BBC and one from Newstalk) and after a while the unit just switched off and seemed to lock up because it would not switch back on. The display was dimmed and showed the date/time which continued to update. But the power button did not work. Disconnecting the power and reconnecting it didn't help. In fact the display then just showed a time and date of 00:00:00 00/00/00. I can't say for sure that the podcasts were the problem - maybe it's just a dud unit that was going to do this anyway after a certain period switched on? I might see if the Binatone number in the manual is of any help. I might try one more time with Argos but at this stage I could be getting the units that I returned back into my hands! :eek:

ok have listened to BBC Radio 1 podcasts and RTE 2FM podcasts - perfect quality and no shutdowns.

It sounds like the ARGOS store you go to has a bad batch. Try another store, who knows!

Thanks for the update. As I said perhaps the podcast thing is a red herring and the shutdown/lockup just happens after a certain period on doing anything? I've already alternated between Jervis and the ILAC when buying/returning the last few! Maybe I'll try Stephen's Green next! I'd really like this thing to work!

By the way - can you tell me what software (firmware) version your's is running? Did you do a software upgrade when you got it first? There's some menu option to check the version.

I'll check software later today. I didn't do a software upgrade but I did register with the website and "add" a few stations which they beam down to your station list - maybe a software update comes down with this list?

You have to explicitly choose the software upgrade. I did and just wonder if that might also be a contributory factor?! As ever it's a process of elimination but it's difficult to pin down. Maybe I'll just eliminate the unit that I have and try one last time with a new one... :)

I am also interested in dabbling into the world of internet radio, and posted on a few different forums that I would frequent asking for advice.

One thing that I was told that I didn't know (and which may help newbies on here too) is to sample the format using Windows Media Player. There is a radio tuner in there, and you can sample quite a good selection of preset internet radio stations in it.

I have been listening recently and I think that I will definitely take the plunge - it gets a bit tiring just listening to TodayFM, RTE 2 and BBC Radio 2.

My fourth Binatone Tranciva IR804 unit from Argos was also faulty so I have given up, taken the cash refund and would certainly not recommend this unit based on my experience to date. To recap:

1. First unit had scratches on the fascia
  2. Second had continuous interference from speaker and headphone output
  3. Third sporadically switched off/locked up
  4. The fourth unit's display backlight worked for about 5 minutes before failing and would not switch on at all thereafter.

Back