Wifi internet radio

Sherman

Does anyone have a wifi internet radio? Specifically, I'd like to be able to get BBC radio stations on a radio with an alarm function - from my research, wifi internet radios seem to be the best solution (I'm in Dublin btw so can't get BBC radio reliably on a 'normal' clock radio).

I'd appreciate it if anyone who has a wifi internet radio could let me know how they find it, where they bought it and how much they paid - any I've seen on the web start at around €150 (but those sites don't deliver to Ireland). Thanks in advance.

You mean that you would be streaming radio broadcasts from your PC connected to the internet to the WiFi radio? Would you be leaving your PC on full time to facilitate this? Could you not just try a "normal" radio with a better aerial setup than the standard built-in one? Or a radio receiver hooked up to a cable TV operator's radio feed if applicable?

You mean that you would be streaming radio broadcasts from your PC connected to the internet to the WiFi radio? Would you be leaving your PC on full time to facilitate this?

No, most of the wifi internet radios I've seen are able to stream radio stations directly from the wireless router, without the need for a pc to be turned on at the time. I wouldn't be interested in having to leave the computer on all the time.

I'm not sure if you can do this, but would be interested to know the answer.
I've seen people discuss "digital radio" and mean 2 different things, firstly WiFi radio as you describe, secondly DAB.
I have an audio streaming device and can access '000's of radio stations, but they all seem a bit random, nothing mainstream like RTE or BBC.

I've seen people discuss "digital radio" and mean 2 different things, firstly WiFi radio as you describe, secondly DAB.
There's also DRM an satellite radio! Not really au fait with if/how all of these options work here in Ireland.

I have an audio streaming device and can access '000's of radio stations, but they all seem a bit random, nothing mainstream like RTE or BBC.

Wif-fi radio works from your home router - some plug directly in, others connect wirelessly to the device. I'm sure you can programme them to receive your favourites, such as RTE / BBC etc, and other selected stations to avoid being bombarded. I've seen wi-fi radios in DID dor around the €150 mark, so they're becoming affordable

I have seen wifi radios on sale in the sony shop in the Pavillions centre in Swords.
I dearly hope that RTE will enable the transmission of BBC radio 4 and world service on their DAB service, as that would persuade me to switch to digital.

I bought a wifi internet radio from LIDL about 6 months ago and didn't get it connected up until I installed eircom's wireless broadband a while back. It cost approx 90 euro and the name of it is called 'Tevion'. You don't need the computer turned on to work it just leave the wireless connection switched on. My hubby finds it fantastic as he loves picking up the soccer matches etc, it has thousands of radio stations but you can select and save the ones you are most interested in for easy access. Keep an eye out for them in LIDL, they'll probably have them in soon again.

Keep an eye out in Currys or PC World too, as from time to time, they have special offers on their Logik IR100 wifi radio. A grand wee unit, which works nicely with reciva.com. I have one a few months, and find it great. Bought it in Currys NI for £40stg, which was a steal.

Just got a wifi internet raqdio which has DAB plus Fm, currently having problems setting it up, will let you know how it goes

I have seen wifi radios on sale in the sony shop in the Pavillions centre in Swords.
I dearly hope that RTE will enable the transmission of BBC radio 4 and world service on their DAB service, as that would persuade me to switch to digital.

I don;t think we will ever get BBc on any DAB radios in ireland, as RTE are only intrested in promoting DAB amongst irish radio stations. For them to broadcast DAB BBC, they would have to pay a licence fee to the BBC, and I can see them doing that, the best oprion is through internet radio or your sky disk

Keep an eye out in Currys or PC World too, as from time to time, they have special offers on their Logik IR100 wifi radio. A grand wee unit, which works nicely with reciva.com. I have one a few months, and find it great. Bought it in Currys NI for £40stg, which was a steal.

Currys are now selling these for €70. Set up your profile on Reciva and get easy menu access to your favourite stations, streams (like BBC Listen Again) and podcasts. It also has an alarm - either radio or buzzer.

The sound quality is not much different from FM. You can get all the BBC stations perfectly but if you want to listen live to football and some other sports events on Five Live you'll have to tune in on digital tv because they don't have the rights to broadcast them on the internet. You'll get pretty much everything else no problem though.

Great value for €70 - highly recommend it.

The Logik IR100 looks interesting. I've browsed a few sites about it and am tempted - if it's actually available for €70. Anybody know of any outlets stocking it in Dublin city centre? I tried Dixons in the Jervis Centre but they don't have it. :(

Do a search Sherman, I have contributed to threads on this matter before, search Tangent Quattro

The Logik IR100 is not listed on their website. I'm not interested in anything more expensive than c. €70.

I was in Pc world today and it was there for either €70 or €79, just can't remember exactly.
Totally recommend it especially since I realised ( from another thread on this site) that you can setup your fav stations on Reciva.com and then find them under the "My Stuff" menu on the radio. Saves a lot of scrolling.

I was in Pc world today and it was there for either €70 or €79, just can't remember exactly.
PC World where? Is there an outlet other than Dixons, Jervis Centre that might have the Logik IR100?

you get what you pay for imo, pay peanuts get monkeys etc.,
The Logik IR100 monkey looks OK to me judging by the many reviews and hack sites that I've read.

Back