Why are our new case numbers of Covid so high....every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
One day our cases are high (hopes dashed) then the next day our cases are lower (hopes high) and then the next day they are high again (hopes dashed again).......Is it the HSE not recording the daily cases properly.

It's almost cruelty at this stage.

One day our cases are high (hopes dashed) then the next day our cases are lower (hopes high) and then the next day they are high again (hopes dashed again).......Is it the HSE not recording the daily cases properly.

It's almost cruelty at this stage.
Case numbers are a terrible metric to use. They depend on live reporting and the amount of testing being done.
We were told a short while ago that our case numbers were as high as the worst rates last year but we are testing vastly more people so in reality the infection rate was much lower.

I think it's more to do with frightening people into complying with the restrictions than giving accurate data.

Last edited:
Well then stop giving the daily case numbers suche attention and reverence, they are clearly a flawed statistic now anyway. In fact stop the daily nphet press conferences, 2 a week is enough. Put them to work getting the vaccine rollout in order so that we are ready when supplies really increase. In fact get nphet off the stage completely or just as an adjoint to Michael martin. In UK boris Johnson is the face of the pandemic not backroom technocrats.

Did someone really say that our cases were increasing because people were having cups of coffee together? Is this factual or another way to frighten us?

I don't mind them reporting daily numbers but the media should start using some cop on when it comes to reporting them. They announce the headline number without any mention of the 7 day and 14 day incidence rate which is much more important. So is the positivity rate. I saw reporting that referrals for swab testing went up over 40% in a week last week and yet the reported testing numbers and positivity doesn't support that.

Yesterday the journal reported a 'slight' drop in hospital numbers. There was almost a 10% drop in people in hospital which is not slight. RTE reported it as a significant drop. Despite 500-700 cases a day, we are not seeing increased numbers on people going to hospital with daily admissions/healthcare obtained cases standing at around 20-30 a day. And most days we see more people leaving hospital than being admitted. Most days we will see none or at most 1-2 admissions to ICU. Despite thousands of cases over the past four weeks, hospital numbers and ICU numbers have decreased.

This pandemic is still dangerous. We can't lose control of it again but from talking to people, there is noting but despair at hearing 500-700 cases a day like we are heading for another Christmas. We are not.

The reporting narrative needs to change. Having up to date and detailed information around the vaccines would help but it is still a black hole to a large extent.

Case numbers are a terrible metric to use. They depend on live reporting and the amount of testing being done.
We were told a short while ago that our case numbers were as high as the same the worst rates last year but we are testing vastly more people so in reality the infection rate was much lower.

I think this is a good point. The infection rate has been decreasing steadily over the last month (currently 3.9%). I also noted the 7 day average "tests completed" is at 105k which is up about 7-10k from a week or two ago. That would imply that just the increased testing would reflect about 400 more positives.

Well then stop giving the daily case numbers suche attention and reverence, they are clearly a flawed statistic now anyway. In fact stop the daily nphet press conferences, 2 a week is enough.

How about avoiding the start of the news most days? They'll keep reporting as long as there is sufficient demand for daily updates.

I don't mind them reporting daily numbers but the media should start using some cop on when it comes to reporting them. They announce the headline number without any mention of the 7 day and 14 day incidence rate which is much more important. So is the positivity rate.

RTE used to go the effort of scaling NI cases up to the irish equivalent based on population to show that the north was doing much worse. They conveniently stopped doing that when it swung the other way.

I would agree that point in time daily cases numbers are not a good metric at this point.

While walking in a leafy suburb of Cork yesterday I came across a group of teenagers playing football in a locked outdoor football 5-a-side area. To their credit they appeared to be enjoying themselves. I stopped counting them when I reached 150. None was social distancing and none wore a face mask. A co-walker suggested they were "Leaving Certs" enjoying a break from their studies towards Easter. To be fair to the fairer sex there wasn't a female amongst them.

Then watching the Six O'Clock News last evening and while Mr McGrath was being interviewed (just before attending a government restrictions raising meeting) in the background a group of young ladies were walking together unmasked and not socially distancing. I bet they were "Leaving Certs" too.

The Bottom Line here is that the Covid Death Rate in Ireland is higher in the first twelve weeks of 2021 than it was in all of 2020. I hope the government knows what it is doing. We will find out later today.

While walking in a leafy suburb of Cork yesterday I came across a group of teenagers playing football in a locked outdoor football 5-a-side area. To their credit they appeared to be enjoying themselves. I stopped counting them when I reached 150. None was social distancing and none wore a face mask. A co-walker suggested they were "Leaving Certs" enjoying a break from their studies towards Easter. To be fair to the fairer sex there wasn't a female amongst them.

Then watching the Six O'Clock News last evening and while Mr McGrath was being interviewed (just before attending a government restrictions raising meeting) in the background a group of young ladies were walking together unmasked and not socially distancing. I bet they were "Leaving Certs" too.

The Bottom Line here is that the Covid Death Rate in Ireland is higher in the first twelve weeks of 2021 than it was in all of 2020. I hope the government knows what it is doing. We will find out later today.
The death rate was higher because of the UK variant and household visits over Christmas.

Teenagers playing football outside present a much lower risk of infection than someone just "popping in" to a friend or neighbour for a coffee.
The needs of those teenagers as a cohort should also be taken into account. They are at virtually no risk from the disease and yet the restrictions have had the greatest short and long term impact on them. I have a great deal of sympathy for them.

The death rate was higher because of the UK variant and household visits over Christmas.

Teenagers playing football outside present a much lower risk of infection than someone just "popping in" to a friend or neighbour for a coffee.
The needs of those teenagers as a cohort should also be taken into account. They are at virtually no risk from the disease and yet the restrictions have had the greatest short and long term impact on them. I have a great deal of sympathy for them.
I don't have sympathy for anybody in the situation. I'm obeying all the restrictions, so should they.

I have a lot of sympathy for teenagers and young adults. These are years where social interaction is a crucial part of their lives. I am all in favour of teenagers meeting a few friends outdoors for a walk, I think they need that. The risk outdoors is very low and as long as they can meet in sensible numbers and adhere to the guidelines I wouldn't have an issue with it. In fact I'm pretty sure this is already happening all around the country as the people have moved ahead of the guidelines and the Government need to recognise this in todays announcement or risk losing the people.
I wouldn't agree though with large groups playing football together. 150 sounds like a crazy number, I wouldn't even try to defend that!

In fact I'm pretty sure this is already happening all around the country as the people have moved ahead of the guidelines and the Government need to recognise this in todays announcement or risk losing the people.
For sure people, majority maybe, have moved ahead. The Government may shorten the gap today but won't bridge it.

I don't have sympathy for anybody in the situation. I'm obeying all the restrictions, so should they.
You are at risk from the disease. They are not. The restrictions have a far greater impact on them than they do on you.

Wearing a mask during physical activity is ridiculous.
There were cases and spread at outdoor yoga sessions.
Being outdoors isn't 100% safe, sustained close contact \ extra droplets dispersed in heavy breathing is still a risk.
To be safe, you need to mitigate the risk either with distancing or masks etc

There were cases and spread at outdoor yoga sessions.
Being outdoors isn't 100% safe, sustained close contact \ extra droplets dispersed in heavy breathing is still a risk.
To be safe, you need to mitigate the risk either with distancing or masks etc
Being anywhere isn't 100% safe. Being outdoors is, in itself, a very strong mitigating factor.
Being outdoors playing football with no mask is lower risk than being indoors in a standard kitchen or living room while wearing a mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back