Why are our new case numbers of Covid so high....every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ECDC has said that school cases are driven by community outbreaks, not the other way around.
Yes but when it makes its way into the schools its acceleration triggers some more cases, which feed back into the community.
I'm not saying schools are unsafe or we should shut them, but people should be aware that some of the cases are because of schools but keeping schools open is a priority.

As for the media, it's nothing particular to covid. Big stories get overkill. There's 24/7 news channels, websites want new articles every hour.

Yes but when it makes its way into the schools its acceleration triggers some more cases, which feed back into the community.
I'm not saying schools are unsafe or we should shut them, but people should be aware that some of the cases are because of schools but keeping schools open is a priority.
The point is that 8 cases in a school are less likely to cause further infections than 8 cases in the community generally.

As for the media, it's nothing particular to covid. Big stories get overkill. There's 24/7 news channels, websites want new articles every hour.

All you have to do is walk down any street in Ireland and see the amount of teenagers that are on top of each other every evening for the last couple of months. A lot of these would be school friends so if one gets it, a few get it and then say school is the common denominator while ignoring their actions outside the controlled environment of schools.

Primary schools are different because it is much harder for younger kids to social distance and you will see higher positivity rate in these settings (albeit still low) but I would be very sceptical about how much of the positivity rate in secondary schools is down to transmission within schools.

All you have to do is walk down any street in Ireland and see the amount of teenagers that are on top of each other every evening for the last couple of months.
And that's still low risk since they are outside.

I think we should start focusing on the median age each day and the % below 45. Yesterday it was 78% under 45 and median age of 29. So driving the cases into younger ages with the vaccination of the other groups means there is a much lesser chance of serious illness and death (not a zero chance). So this allows optimism even at 400 cases a day as the majority will not die. Before the vaccine they were able to say that for every 1000 cases so many would be hospitalised and so many would end up in ICU and 5-7 would die. I assume they are running the numbers now every week, and these are reducing exponentially. So a country can live with a certain level of illness if a significant majority recover well from a short illness. Then preventing new strains getting in and gradually opening up along with the continuation of the vaccines will make it all work.

I think we should start focusing on the median age each day and the % below 45. Yesterday it was 78% under 45 and median age of 29. So driving the cases into younger ages with the vaccination of the other groups means there is a much lesser chance of serious illness and death (not a zero chance). So this allows optimism even at 400 cases a day as the majority will not die. Before the vaccine they were able to say that for every 1000 cases so many would be hospitalised and so many would end up in ICU and 5-7 would die. I assume they are running the numbers now every week, and these are reducing exponentially. So a country can live with a certain level of illness if a significant majority recover well from a short illness. Then preventing new strains getting in and gradually opening up along with the continuation of the vaccines will make it all work.
The number I heard for under 60s was 35 out of 1000 would need hospitalisation but unclear if that was for under 60s without vulnerable conditions.

That’s a disgrace.
70 cases from 5,000 builders is 1,400 cases per 100,000. Is there no social distancing? Is there no hand washing? Do they not wear masks? There’s definitely no cop on! That’s worse than a meat factory?

I assume the construction work is at an advanced stage and it’s the indoor facilities, fabs, etc. Surely 1,400 per 100,000 would be impossible if it was an outdoor site.

That’s a disgrace.
70 cases from 5,000 builders is 1,400 cases per 100,000. Is there no social distancing? Is there no hand washing? Do they not wear masks? There’s definitely no cop on! That’s worse than a meat factory?

I assume the construction work is at an advanced stage and it’s the indoor facilities, fabs, etc. Surely 1,400 per 100,000 would be impossible if it was an outdoor site.
it's to know is it what's happening on site or not.
What they are doing on their lunch breaks, weekends might be a factor also. Are they sharing cars to work, dropping all precautions when off the clock.

What they are doing on their lunch breaks, weekends might be a factor also. Are they sharing cars to work, dropping all precautions when off the clock.

The outbreaks attributed to the meat factories last year told a similar story, the people mixing off-site and in transport was a major factor.

it's to know is it what's happening on site or not.
Intel has a fleet of private buses picking up construction workers from railway stations all around the area.

The site is over a mile ( told this) from front to back, with employees and contractors its a town essentially.

Apparently Intel also bought a large number of apartments in Maynooth last year to house people during construction as many have come from around the globe.

Last edited:
Intel has a fleet of private buses picking up construction workers from railway stations all around the area.
That’s terrible.
A meat plant close to where a friend lives that had an outbreak during the second wave had also been using a bus to carry workers to the plant. Even during the pandemic.

The authorities should stamp this out immediately. Even public transport is running at only 25% capacity.

I heard that they have introduced some form of daily testing (antigen perhaps) for workers to get on site now

That’s terrible.
A meat plant close to where a friend lives that had an outbreak during the second wave had also been using a bus to carry workers to the plant. Even during the pandemic.

The authorities should stamp this out immediately. Even public transport is running at only 25% capacity.
I think they are complying with that 25% as one passed me a few weeks ago and it had notices on seats.

If they didn't do this where would thousands of cars go traffic is bad enough around this area.

That’s a disgrace.

That’s terrible.
A meat plant close to where a friend lives that had an outbreak during the second wave had also been using a bus to carry workers to the plant.
Very quick to jump in and call this a disgrace or terrible with little or no knowledge or understanding of the situation there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back