Who would you like to see as the next president??

DB74 said:
The lord save us and guard us

I will add Fergus Finlay, Sean Kelly, Pat Cox, Michael D, to that list + especially dragon's den lad - highlighted so far on AAM.

Marion

Why don't we ditch the office of President and rejoin the Commonwealth/UK and Lizzie would be our Queen? Save a fortune, plus we get some glitzy royal parades every year. Boost tourism no end, help the Brits keep Scotland in the Union, the loyalists would be thrilled. We could keep the British loan, revert to the cheap £ (end cross-border shopping, boost exports) and have a nice crown over harp on the passport. We should offer it to Liz on her 90th birthday.

DUstin would win .seriously if he did his p*ss take campaign he'd win because its a joke. the president should just be appointed

Has this ever happened?
I could only ever see someone not from a political party background stand up to the government of the day.

Yes, it has, Cathal O'Dallaigh(and forgive my bad spelling) resigned in the 70s after one Minster called him a "thundering disgrace" after he'd referred a bill to the Supreme Court and Liam Cosgrove refused to accept the resigination of the Minister in question

Perhaps most famously in 82, Paddy Hillary stood up to his own party and Charlie Haughy (who was in opposition at the time) when the then FG coalition govt was collapsing. FF wanted Hilary to refuse Garrett Fitzgeralsd a dail disolution after the Govt lost a vote, that would have allowed Haughey and FF to try and form a new Govt without an election. Hilary refused to even talk to FF dispite numerous attempts by Govt ministers to contact him

I will add Fergus Finlay, Sean Kelly, Pat Cox, Michael D, to that list + especially dragon's den lad - highlighted so far on AAM.

Marion

Sean Kelly has ruled himself out.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0602/president.html

I have been wracking my brains trying to come up with someone, I think Mary McAleese has set the bar so high, she is going to be difficult to follow!

I would go for either Martin McAleese of Fergus Finlay. Or how about Roy Keane...or Dobbo;)

Why don't we ditch the office of President and rejoin the Commonwealth/UK and Lizzie would be our Queen? Save a fortune, plus we get some glitzy royal parades every year. Boost tourism no end, help the Brits keep Scotland in the Union, the loyalists would be thrilled. We could keep the British loan, revert to the cheap £ (end cross-border shopping, boost exports) and have a nice crown over harp on the passport. We should offer it to Liz on her 90th birthday.

The only down side is that we'd end up with a united Ireland and have to deal with all those bigots and racists on both sides in the North.

Great idea, but would they have us? ;)

Okay I'm off topic but did anyone see the doc on BBC 2 last night on the Shankill loyalists,"The men who won't stop marching"? I ended up feeling quite sorry for these people. They were very damaged men whose childhoods had been destroyed by the troubles, and loyalist marching bands were lifesavers for them.The level of suicide in the Shankill area is awful. The bands gave them purpose and meaning to their lives.

They seemed like decent enough men and all the guff about catholics and loyalism struck me as a cover for deep psychological damage. It's easy to overlook all this when we see the violence, the racism or the aggressiveness they often display.

I haven't heard anyone mentioned so far that I would vote for.
Why on earth is Mairead McGuinness putting her name forward? On what basis does she deserve to be President? Michael D. is too old and I imagine would run a very old style Presidency. Pat Cox is a bit dull. The guy from Dragon's Den sounded ridiculous talking about coffee shops and basically letting the public have the run of the Aras. Mary Davis would be a pale imitation of Mary McAleese, constantly being compared to her and wouldn't bring anything new to the job. If Martin McAlees got it I think his wife would still be considered the 'real' President by a lot of people, still up in the Aras, still attending events with him.
I dunno, maybe someone unexpected will put their name forward.

Would have been underwhelmed by Mary McAleese until I attended a few events, out here in Ro and other places, where she addressed small audiences. She was wonderful. To the Manor born indeed!!

If her husband were to run then he'd get my vote too on the basis that he would probably be equally warm a personality who would do us proud.

Playing devil's advocate: what has Martin McAleese said or done to suggest he's interested or qualified? I can only think of the ideas campaign, which I can't remember the name of.

I'm a Norris supporter myself.

Don't think she's mentioned on this thread

Kathleen O'Meara from Tipperary North going for it

She never made it as a TD, failed in three general elections

But she was one of the higher profile senators. Took ownership for childcare and everything associated with that for the Labour party.

Not saying I'd vote for her and I don't think she'll be nominated but just a local, so got the news

Would it be too radical to have a man from the Republic - just to change the record a bit.......

Mickey Harte

I'm sorry, I know the man has had a terrible tragedy in his life and my heart goes out to him. But I don't think he has done anything to justify voting him as President. If it turns into a popularity/celebrity type competition it will be a pity.

Mickey Harte

I like the guy and he has achieved a lot, but in a very different sphere. It would be very 'fish out of water' I'd have thought.

Whats Seamus Mallon up the these days?.... limiting ourselves to our Northern brethren for the moment

Back