Where to meet single women

I don't agree with your smart comment....the OP is looking for novel ways of meeting different people, outside of his normal social circle. While hill walking and book clubs might not be to your taste, they may well yield exactly what the OP is looking for.

I agree;
I have a large circle of friends but no female friends that I'm interested in romantically. Meeting a girl that is like minded is most important

I scuba dived for years and never once met guy I was interested in - that was so annoying :(

But then I met my husband on an online dating site www.maybefriends.com :D Before I met him I had a great time dating other guys - really helps your social life and and you can meet some interesting people even if you're not interested in them romantically!

Recently I heard of an organisation, I don't know what it's called, but it's like a club of people but totally different things get organised for them every week or so, so it's not tied to any one interest although I think it is adventure-sport oriented.

No affiliation with maybefriends.com!

Last edited:
I scuba dived for years and never once met guy I was interested in - that was so annoying :(

But then I met my husband on an online dating site :D Before I met him I had a great time dating other guys - really helps your social life and and you can meet some interesting people even if you're not interested in them romantically!

Recently I heard of an organisation, I don't know what it's called, but it's like a club of people but totally different things get organised for them every week or so, so it's not tied to any one interest although I think it is adventure-sport oriented.

No affiliation with maybefriends.com!

I looked into online dating but the amount of girls in the same area was very small and didn't seem worthwhile..

Im more of a person that would go and join a social group..........

What are you interested in AskU? Don't join a club just on the basis of meeting women, find something that really interests you. That way you have something in common with any women you do meet.

Either that or yourself and rmelly can double-date the heretohelp sisters ;)

What are you interested in AskU? Don't join a club just on the basis of meeting women, find something that really interests you. That way you have something in common with any women you do meet.

Either that or yourself and rmelly can double-date the heretohelp sisters ;)

Sure, as long as I get first call on the ex-model (assuming she wasn't a hand model or something).

Yes.. I am looking for a life long partner

At 28?!! Have yo not othe ambitions/goals/places you want to see before yuo settle down? Seriously, theres a great big world out there and ps are you limiting yourself to Cork?

You could go travelling you'd meet lots of pretty/attractive girls there and some of those girls abroad are lovely! In every way! Whats the rush anyway, if you rush in you will probably get divorced within a year mate! I agree with you about pubs and clubs especially in this country were the girls are all (95%) anyway are paralytic and only thinking of going to bed with their arms wrapped around their bottle of vodka and sooo paranoid/defensive from said vodka or whatever their drug of choice. Get out to Britain or the continent and meet some cute girls and forget the clubs where you cant hear half of the sentences anyway,

Good luck sincerely,

Q

There are a lot of events on over the summer - I was at the Marquee and at Taste of Cork over the weekend and both these events were very sociable; easier to strike up a conversation with someone than in a noisy pub and plenty to talk about given the setting. Cork week is coming up shortly (regatta in Crosshaven) and this is a great place to meet someone.

Get out to Britain or the continent and meet some cute girls and forget the clubs where you cant hear half of the sentences anyway,

Good luck sincerely,

Q

Fair enough about the continent but Britain?, are you sure its the place to go to find girls unlike the ones you described as irish?

A widowed aunt of mine goes on trips with an organisation called PATT (People Alone, Travelling Together) and she's had a great time, and met some lovely people. Not sure if she's looking for romance, per se, more just the social aspect of it.

I'm sure there must be a version for not so old people.

Personally speaking, I reckon travelling alone and staying in hostels is a great way to meet people. You HAVE to talk to them unlike if you're with a friend/partner. Breaking the ice is much easier.

I'm very happily married but should I ever find myself being single again, I would have no qualms in registering with on-line dating places.

Do your research though as I'm sure plenty are better/worse than others.

hi, i agree with pubs and clubs really are a useless place to meet someone that would be interested in more than that nite only! i dont think u should leave cork! we are the best women here :D.
Most of my couple friends met eachother through work!?
Or a few on similar sports teams like badmington!

Its tough out there tho! :D

At 28?!! Have yo not othe ambitions/goals/places you want to see before yuo settle down? Seriously, theres a great big world out there and ps are you limiting yourself to Cork?

You could go travelling you'd meet lots of pretty/attractive girls there and some of those girls abroad are lovely! In every way! Whats the rush anyway, if you rush in you will probably get divorced within a year mate! I agree with you about pubs and clubs especially in this country were the girls are all (95%) anyway are paralytic and only thinking of going to bed with their arms wrapped around their bottle of vodka and sooo paranoid/defensive from said vodka or whatever their drug of choice. Get out to Britain or the continent and meet some cute girls and forget the clubs where you cant hear half of the sentences anyway,

Good luck sincerely,

Q

Hmm queenlex, firstly the age you want to settle at should be something that you decide, there is no obligation to remain single or childless until you are thirty or whatever age. The OP has indicated that he has decided that he would like to settle down. I think he has probably considered it...

Contrary to what you suggest limiting himself to Cork is actually the best idea. The trouble with choice is that too much makes it impossible to decide. Add to that issues about potentially ending up in a long distance relationship (been there ... not easy), differences in culture (especially in terms of raising children and religion), isolation from family for one or the other partner, etc. Finding a long term partner in your vicinity is actually easier than finding a long term partner in a totally new place or worse still while transient around the globe.

Also I think you are needlessly harsh about Irish women (and foolishly generous about British (and continental) women!). 95%? On what exactly do you base that number? I don't know the sort of people you seem to meet. I have never known any girl I have been friends with to go to bed with a bottle of vodka and 95% of the population do not indulge in drugs. Nor do they spend their entire time in pubs defensive and paranoid ... Casting aspersions on "Irish girls" in general in such harsh and judgemental terms without any proof or evidence of your offensive assertions is simply crass. Drinking and drunkeness is not confined to this isle, don't be foolish.

Are you not having much luck with the girls then?

I'm very happily married but should I ever find myself being single again, I would have no qualms in registering with on-line dating places.

Do your research though as I'm sure plenty are better/worse than others.

+1

I enjoyed a number of fun dates through online agencies in my single youth - would be straight back on now if I was single again.

OP - sometimes its good to get out of the comfort zone, I had a pal who took up salsa dancing - he seriously had 2 left feet, he didnt care about the dancing, he was the only fella in the class so he loved going along once a week and the women all wanting to partner him!!

Salsa dancing - I would definitely do this again if I was single and I may take it up again anyway. I stayed away from it simply cos I was tired of hearing about it then I went to a salsa club in Dublin one night and it looked fantastic.

>>I looked into online dating but the amount of girls in the same area was very small and didn't seem worthwhile..<<

Are you in Cork city? I would have though there would be plenty of people in Cork using these sites. Indeed if you're in the city, the online sites are the best way to meet as many people as possible. You can have a date every week if you want. It's a numbers game! :)

>>Im more of a person that would go and join a social group.......... <<

Well online dating is not for everyone that's true. But I think the people who should stay away from it are
a) naive types who cannot judge by email/phone whether someone is completely unsuitable for them before they meet
b) people who are not used to using email/Internet
c) people are are so terrified at the thought of a date with a stranger that they would not enjoy themselves at all

Are you in one of the above categories? Why do you think it would not be for you?

hey, AskU let me know if u have any success!! and which was the best way to meet people! :D

I have single friends and a single sister (all in their early 30''s, all nice looking and very nice girls). They feel like giving up as they cant meet nice guys. Based in Dublin

I am single, now late thirties and there is nothing worse than my friends matchmaking for me. Our office went speed dating (paid for by the boss) and it was not a success. It was supposed to be for age 35-48. Most of the people both men and women had lied about their age, or had a very hard life. Dont know if I would try online, but a few people seem positive.

Back