What would you tell your kids to study?

Purple

Registered User
Messages
15,564
There's a good opinion piece in todays Financial Times about the future of work and skills. It points out that the characterisation of jobs as "High skilled and Low skilled" is a category error as well as being offensive. What people actually mean when they say that is jobs which are currently highly valued by the market.
Given the fact that IT and coding has completely changed in the last few years, financial services is following at the moment and medicine and law will also change massively with AI over the next decade or so what should we value as "High Skilled" and what should we tell our children to study?

I've 3 children who are studying and I've told them all to study what they are interested in and enjoy because they don't know what the future holds. I hope I'm right.
 
Exactly that, once you have the right attitude and work ethic, you can be successful in any career so focus on what you like.
 
I've told them all to study what they are interested in and enjoy because they don't know what the future holds.
I'm the same. I have a son doing his Leaving Cert this year and CAO has been submitted. IT was discussed at the beginning and then I showed him how much maths was involved and he soon turned off that.

AI is at such an early stage, it is hard to know how it will impact on what jobs in the future. My kids will have to adjust to it.
 
A plumber or electrician will never be short of work!
And while AI and automation will, hopefully, take much of the labour out of new house construction actual people will always be needed to refurbish an old house.
 
One of my children is in TY and has been focused on STEM jobs for years. Did three placements in STEM related area, enjoyed them but decided that it was not really her thing. Back to the drawing board...
 
you can be successful in any career so focus on what you like.
I think that has to be caveated with an eye to the job market. You may have a passion for theology or logic or music, but there is a very high probability you will not find work (at least, sufficiently well-paid to live and raise a family) in these areas and will end up with a day-job doing something else.

I know numerous people who did a second degree in order to be employable with a good income and some of those don't even use their first degree at all (e.g. trained as classical musician and now doesn't even play at home). I also know some who were fortunate to get a good career tangential to their first degree. I know others who live on the breadline despite having a degree. I know others again who didn't do a degree but trained in a trade and they have a very good lifestyle with relatively low stress from work compared with many colleagues I worked with in multinationals.

I feel it's important to look at what your children are interested in, explore options, consider employment opportunities into the future, and guide them in the right direction - but that is not simply "follow your heart". For arguments sake, if my daughter is passionate about history, I would suggest that if the passion is truly there, then perhaps it could it be a passionate hobby done in spare time. I would try to help her understand that 4 years studying history might be wonderful, but she will be at square one when she leaves university, and we need to discuss who will finance her life at that stage.
 
Last edited:
I know numerous people who did a second degree in order to be employable with a good income and some of those don't even use their first degree at all (e.g. trained as classical musician and now doesn't even play at home). I also know some who were fortunate to get a good career tangential to their first degree.
I'm a big fan of education for educations sake. The last thing anyone should do is choose a job (most people have jobs, not careers) based solely on potential future earnings. Firstly it's a terrible waste of a life and secondly not many people become very good at things they don't enjoy.

I know others who live on the breadline despite having a degree. I know others again who didn't do a degree but trained in a trade and they have a very good lifestyle
A trade takes 4 years. A degree takes around the same, less in some cases. From a skills and qualification point of view they are on par with each other.

with relatively low stress from work compared with many colleagues I worked with in multinationals.
In my experience in general construction tradespeople work harder and have more stress then most people working in multinationals.

I feel it's important to look at what your children are interested in, explore options, consider employment opportunities into the future, and guide them in the right direction - but that is not simply "follow your heart". For arguments sake, if my daughter is passionate about history, I would suggest that if the passion is truly there, then perhaps it could it be a passionate hobby done in spare time. I would try to help her understand that 4 years studying history might be wonderful, but she will be at square one when she leaves university, and we need to discuss who will finance her life at that stage.
I'm a believer in the idea that as parents we are shepherds, not engineers; we get to create the environment in which our children grow up but we definitely don't get to create the person they turn into. From the time they are half way through primary school their pier group has a much bigger influence on them than their parents.

I think it's also worth noting that there are more people with Humanities degrees working for Google than people with STEM degrees.
 
100% . Study what you enjoy and be prepared for a lifetime of learning
I agree completely. A had a conversation with the then Dean of the School of Engineering in UCD many years ago. He told me never to confuse education with qualification. He said that qualification was what you did for a few years in a place like he worked whereas education was what you did for your entire life and the latter was far more valuable and important. I have three friends who qualified as mechanical engineers. None of them work in that field.
 
if my daughter is passionate about history, I would suggest that if the passion is truly there, then perhaps it could it be a passionate hobby done in spare time. I would try to help her understand that 4 years studying history might be wonderful, but she will be at square one when she leaves university, and we need to discuss who will finance her life at that stage.

A lot of companies and institutions employ people from a wide range of disciplines. If she wants to study history, then encourage her to study history and get a good degree.

When she graduates, she will be just as attractive to legal firms or accountancy firms as someone with a technical degree.

And give the speed of change, a degree in accountancy or law might not be that much use.

I did a B.A. in psychology and philosophy before training as an accountant. If I recall correctly, the B.Comm graduates were exempt from only one subject which I had to do. That might have changed now and maybe if you really want to be an accountant a B.A. specialising in accounting might get you there quicker.
 
One of my children is in TY and has been focused on STEM jobs for years. Did three placements in STEM related area, enjoyed them but decided that it was not really her thing. Back to the drawing board...
I always think it's a bit weird when a kid knows what they want to do work/career wise at 15 or 16.
 
For arguments sake, if my daughter is passionate about history, I would suggest that if the passion is truly there, then perhaps it could it be a passionate hobby done in spare time. I would try to help her understand that 4 years studying history might be wonderful, but she will be at square one when she leaves university
I am not so sure about that. Someone with a passion for it who studies history, (etc) learns much more than facts. They learn skills of research, analysis, synthesis, argument, presentation, etc. These are transferrable skills and well be more valuable long term than a narrow applied skill set. The key thing is having a passion for the subject and choosing a course with high academic standards. Of course, just choosing a subject semi-randomly because it is "university" may well lead nowhere but if the passion is there I would encourage it.
 
You don't, but in my experience, those who went into accountancy straight from school did not do as well career wise as those who did degrees.
 
And while AI and automation will, hopefully, take much of the labour out of new house construction actual people will always be needed to refurbish an old house.
I'm not sure how AI will affect construction, will an AI robot be able to deal with heavy concrete, roof tiles and earth moving especially in Irish winter conditions. I know there is modular factory construction that is more efficient but I still don't see how AI fits in to the most labour intensive roles.
AI seems to be very good at creative roles copying music and writing but not good at menial laborious tasks. So could AI take all the nice creative jobs leaving humans do all the menial tasks?
 
Going back almost 40 years to my initial time in college, I would estimate that considerably less than 50% of my 3rd level colleagues pursued a career related to what they studied in college. And since then, judging by the rate of dropouts from 1st year college courses and the inherent flaws in the way the CAO system tends to push many second level students towards a particular academic choice, my recommendation to young people today would be to educate yourself for life rather than with an eye towards a particular career.

I'm frequently taken aback with how poor our second level education system is or how much it fails our young people in equipping them with basic life skills such as food and nutrition, communication skills, financial literacy, personal well being, respect and hygiene as well as manual dexterity and DIY skills (beyond the obvious woodwork, metalwork, engineering and home economic specialisations). I suspect part of the problem is in making what is being taught relative to real life. I'm amazed for example to discover how second level students of geography or trigonometry can make no connection between what they are being taught and the functionality of Google maps or a gps. My grand aunt, who emigrated from the rural west of Ireland to the USA, taught all her sons to knit and 4 of them went on to study medicine, where their tutors commended them for their dexterity and the neatness of their stitching, nurtured by the knitting skills imparted to them by their mother.

Certainly having a 3rd level qualification, irregardless of its speciality, will assist you in getting a foothold in a career choice, but unlike one younger friend of mine who had a great sense of entitlement "because I have a degree!", a degree (or masters or doctorate) is no substitute for what you will learn on the job and through experience and which may ultimately point your in the direction of further studies to enhance your ability to do your job or advance in your career (or indeed even change your career as you discover what you do NOT want to do!)

I'm also mindful of the irrelevance or impracticality of some degree's which serve minimal connection or functionality to the realistic career prospects of all but the most passionate or driven. From my own interest and passion I knew many people who graduated with a Degree in Outdoor education from GMIT/ATU (something I'd love to have studied myself were it available when I was 18) where the realistic prospects of a feasible career were mininscule without further specilisation such as a MA or H Dip to teach. So the vast majority of the graduates in that course were obliged to pursue alternative careers or find different forms of employment such were the low pay rates, lack of progression prospects and job security inherent within the outdoor pursuits industry. However, I like to think the course equipped them with some useful life skills which they can apply to other areas or their life and career, but such was their passion for particular aspects of the course (e.g. watersports, mountaineering, photography, etc) that they would probably have ultimately gained those skills in any case without the necessity to pursue them via a degree course.
 
Last edited:
I'm not sure how AI will affect construction, will an AI robot be able to deal with heavy concrete, roof tiles and earth moving especially in Irish winter conditions. I know there is modular factory construction that is more efficient but I still don't see how AI fits in to the most labour intensive roles.
Yep, modular build off site and assembly on-site removes a large amount of labour and first-fix trades but ground works etc will still need people. There's also absolutely no need for houses to have walls made from concrete blocks. The walls can be made off site in units with all the first fix electrics and plumbing already done. I'm far from an expert in construction but I think that the above ground phase of the build is currently more labour intensive.
AI seems to be very good at creative roles copying music and writing but not good at menial laborious tasks. So could AI take all the nice creative jobs leaving humans do all the menial tasks?
Possibly it will, possibly it will take both.
 
Last edited:
I'm a big fan of education for educations sake.
I agree (in fact I wouldn't really disagree with anything you wrote), but that doesn't mean that at the tender age of 17 or 18 you should pursue what you think is your true academic love without considering the broader picture and all the pros and cons. I wanted to study a particular subject at university, but I didn't get the points and ended up doing something else in which I had a great career - and in hindsight I would not in fact have been very good in the first area. I mentioned I know a person who was told by her parents to follow her passion, and she regrets it as many wasted years before she ended up retraining in an area where she can get employment and she really enjoys. On the other hand of course the majority of people I know have no regrets at all, at least that I am aware of!
So, there's no right answer. What you do need to do, is to help your children - as much as they will allow - to understand the pros and cons which they will not consider at 17 or 18 years old.

I do wonder about pros and cons of the "US model" where many students appear to do very general degrees before specialising. I don't really know much about this... would be interested in thoughts on it.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top