What are we watching on TV?

it is already displacing it eg at New Year's Eve events drone light displays have featured prominently. There are also fireworks but you can be a lot more inventive with the drones.
In the good old days we had cigarette lighters and fireworks. Now it's phone torches and drones. Progress? Not for me.
 
Almost anything that reduces the use of illegal fireworks is a boon. As a pet-owner I detest the terror and distress the selfish users of dangerous fireworks instil in some animals, plus the interference with the ordinary enjoyment of quiet nights for me and others.
 
BBC2 Tonight 22:00
Cumasc: Seisiúin sa Black Gate
Two renowned musicians from Co Kerry collaborate as accordion player Séamus Begley and singer-songwriter Junior Brother perform together. In Irish.

A mighty half-hour of ceol ages conadh with the two lads working on a version of "Maids When You're Young Never Wed and Auld Man". Brilliant and thanks to BBC Gaeilge.
 
BBC2 Tonight 22:00
Cumasc: Seisiúin sa Black Gate
TG4 are also airing this series, and episodes available on the player in case anyone doesn't have \ missed the BBC broadcast.

 
RTE2 21:30 Tonight
The Father - An old man gradually succumbs to dementia as his daughter contemplates starting a new life in Paris. Drama, starring Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Colman.

I'll give this a shot tonight. I like Mr Hopkins greatly, and his character in "The World's Fastest Indian" reminded me so much of my late father it was scary.
 
RTE2 21:30 Tonight
The Father - An old man gradually succumbs to dementia as his daughter contemplates starting a new life in Paris. Drama, starring Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Colman.

I'll give this a shot tonight. I like Mr Hopkins greatly, and his character in "The World's Fastest Indian" reminded me so much of my late father it was scary.
I've watched this twice already but may well watch it again. It's a fantastic depiction of what it must be like to suffer from dementia. It's upsetting, scary, very confusing at times in it's attempt to provide insight into what life might be like for someone with dementia. I highly recommend it.
 
It's upsetting, scary, very confusing at times in it's attempt to provide insight into what life might be like for someone with dementia.
All of that and then some. I wondered about the main character being called Anthony and his performance goes way beyond mere entertainment;brilliant but very disturbing.11/10.
 
19:00 BBC2
Ireland's Wild River: The Mighty Shannon - Natural World
Naturalist and cameraman Colin Stafford-Johnson takes a canoe journey along the River Shannon, revealing the wildlife that live in the water and along the banks.

The biggest river in Ireland and Great Britain, an incredible resource from time immemorial that has fed the people living on its shores and divided them East and West, the inspiration and source of fine ceol, musicians and singers, take time to look in and more importantly, take time to check out what the bould Shane referred to as the "broad, majestic Shannon."

For a change of location and pace, try 21:00 BBC2 Big Cats 24/7
Under attack from intruders, the mums with young cubs must find the rest of the pride. Leopard Lediba risks it all for a meal, and the cheetahs face danger during sprint training
 
BBC2 Tonight 21:00 - 22:30 Repeat
An Bothy Band
Surviving band members Matt Molloy, Dónal Lunny, Tríona Ní Dhomhnaill, Kevin Burke, Paddy Glackin and Paddy Keenan prepare to reunite for a live performance. In Irish
 
Jury Duty Presents: Company Retreat

Stupid, non sensical and very very funny.

Documentary style reality show - but all are actors except the temp guy who is brought in to assist in creating the company retreat.

Prime
 
Louis Theroux: Inside The Manosphere

So much going on in this that's it's hard to define just one reason why you should watch it. But you should.
 
Laochra Gael on Tg4 had Meath's Bernard Flynnn. Great insight into the injuries sustained by amatuer players and how brutal the game was from a physical viewpoint.
 
Third season of Blue Lights is on the RTE Player. It's a very decent series if you haven't seen it.
 
For the craic I tuned into Paddy Kielty's Late Late Show Opening Act to pick the young country star to open Shania Twain's concert here in July. I voted for 19 year-old Jesse Sludds snd his version of Tracey Chapman's very un-country "Fast Cars" and he won! What a performer, what talent, and as a couple of the commentators said he took a song, a massive hit on release, instantly recognisable, and made it completely his own. Very likeable young man in interview and I wish him all the very best for the future as I do the other young contenders, not a bad one amongst them.

As for me, let Louis Walsh, Stock Aitken Waterman, Simon Cowell, look to their laurels I can pick 'em too.
 
He sang Fast Car very well, he has a great voice but in terms of playing before the Shania Twain concert some of the other acts might go down better with the crowd.
 
Back
Top