What are we watching on TV?

Sortof on TV... if you have Amazon Prime Video a lovely music programme has popped up from Derry singer Cara Dillon called The Redcastle Sessions.

Her cover of Black is the Colour is a favourite of mine.

 
I have started renting movies on YouTube and casting to my TV. Often much cheaper then the usual streaming services.

I watched Gods and Monsters recently after seeing a clip of Ian McKellen saying that he wished he could act as well as his co-star, Brendan Frasier. After watching the movie I agree with him. Frasier was remarkable. It's such a shame he didn't have the career his talent deserved.
 
RTE2 tonight from 19:30 hrs, European Athletics Championships from Birmingham

"Two Irish athletes are in action in finals this evening. In the wake of his championship record performance in yesterday's semi-final, Mark English will target his third European outdoor medal and a first gold medal in the 800m final, which is scheduled for 9.28pm this evening.

Shortly after that, Rhasidat Adeleke is chasing a second European medal after a superb display in her 200m semi-final yesterday.

Adeleke posted a time of 22.43 to win her heat and advance as the second fastest qualifier, with the final taking place at 9.50pm.

Before that, Marcus Lawler will go in the semi-final of the 200m alongside Sean Aigboboh, who received a bye to the semis as one of the eight fastest in Europe.
"
 
And congratulations to the swimmers last night

"Ellen Walshe produced a brilliant performance to win gold in the women's 400 metres individual medley at the European Aquatics Championships in Paris.

Walshe clawed back a deficit to come out on top in a time of 4:34.42."

"After her big win, a delighted - and exhausted Walshe - told RTÉ Sport: "I don't think it's fully hit. I just worked so hard at the end.
"

In fairness she left it all out there in that last lap. Brilliant

"Earlier Mona McSharry has won a silver medal in the women's 100m breaststroke.

McSharry clocked a time of 1:05.41 to secure the podium finish and add to the Olympic bronze medal she won in the French capital in 2024.
"

"The Sligo woman told RTÉ Sport: "It's amazing, I honestly don't know if it's really hit me yet.

"I think it was just like touching the wall and it just feels like I did another really good race. But I don't think it's sunk in yet that I'm going to on the podium.

"Pilato beside me probably touched first because she looked a bit ahead of me. I was like 'I know she goes out fast, but we got to go'.

"I think again, just kind of trusting the process and adjusting from yesterday, paid off."
"

Fantastic showing.
 
Ellen Walshe has just won a 2nd gold at the swimming in Paris. What a week-end and its still only just gone 6:05 pm on Saturday teatime!!
 
Last edited:
Gold for Mark, silver for Rashidat in a new Irish record time.
Did anyone watch the medal ceremonies? I'm convinced the Brit or Euro announcer bots or whoever organises these things do it deliberately to annoy me. Mark was introduced as being from "the Republic of Ireland" and Amhrán na bhFiann was announced as the "anthem of the Republic of Ireland". Wrong in both cases, you dumb announcer bot you and/or your dumb script-writer bot colleague. I did my usual , shouting invective at the telly, which must have worked because shortly afterwards she introduced Rashidat correctly as being from "Ireland". How difficult can it be to get this right or does their arrogance and the unplumbed depths of their ignorance permit them to put whatever names they like on the teams who are guests in their country for the Games but why does it always seem to be us they mess up?

I can't remember them referring to "Western Germany" or the "Western Iberian Peninsula", Germany and Portugal to you and me. The medal ceremonies scheduled for last night were deferred until tonight, hopefully to review and correct any script/announcer errors, and to give her ears time to recover from my straight talking. :)
 
Let’s not get involved in semantics @mathepac. Commentators do what they are paid to do that is talk and more talk. Irish athletics are on the up. I’m happy with that. I don’t care what the commentators say. Keep the medals and performances coming.
 
Commentators do what they are paid to do
This was not one of the TV commentators, studio or stadium (I was watching on RTE) but the "master of ceremonies" appointed by either the host country's athletic's body or the European athletics union. If a job is worth doing, its worth doing well; call out low standards where professionalism should be the norm.

I do like the innovation of the medals track-side ahead of the presentation ceremony; great to see the athletes being able go to fans, friends, family in the stands and be interviewed with the hardware on display. And speaking of interviews and fans, a massive thank you to David Gillick on the sideline, he's exceptional, like the Irish fans. David asked Mark Coscoran if there was anyone left in Balbriggan. I think we all know the answer to that and if you're suffering a tri-colour deficit in the shops locally, well they all seem t be in Bermingham, England's 2nd largest city.

C'mon Ireland, let the ole, ole, oles ring out in Paris and Bermingham. I hope everyone can stay injury free and get home safely with the spoils, the photos, and the memories. And the flags, don't forget the flags.

Keep the medals and performances coming.
And thanks.
 
Back
Top