What are we watching on TV?

Enjoying Years&Years on Netflix at the moment - sort of a dystopian series on present day UK. Quite thought-provoking!
 
The Art of Racing in the Rain (film). I ran across this at the weekend while channel surfing between rugby matches and trying to avoid curling :)

It features a dog as the main man, never a bad thing in my view, and motor racing as a main theme - canines and cars, that'll do me. I found myself getting sucked in as the film progressed along fairly predictable lines and reaching for tissues at various stages.

Not a complete waste of your time I'd suggest, and I was surprised at what a couple of reviewers had to say about it after I'd dried my eyes at the end. :rolleyes:

"On Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 44% based on 120 reviews, and an average rating of 5.3/10. The site's critical consensus reads: "Its heartstring-tugging overtures may be difficult for dog lovers to resist, but The Art of Racing in the Rain is sentimental and contrived."[16] On Metacritic the film has a weighted average score of 43 out of 100, based on 31 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".[17] Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A−" on an A+ to F scale, while those at PostTrak gave it an average 4.5 out of 5 stars and a 72% "definite recommend".[1]

Ed Potton of The Sunday Times gave the film a positive review, observing that the premise "really shouldn't work, yet somehow it steers a course between corniness and barminess. By the end I was crying like a baby, along with many of the other people in my screening, as well as giggling at the preposterousness of it all."[18] Peter Debruge of Variety wrote: "Granted, there aren't a lot of surprises in The Art of Racing in the Rain. If anything, knowing — or at least anticipating — how the film's myriad tragedies will unfold seems to heighten the effect."[19]
"
 
I'm a complete softy when it comes to films.
I'm the same as well,
The one that really caught me out was Star Wars "The Force Awakens in 2016",
I was sitting there with Mrs C only a couple of people in the cinema for the first showing in December
The cinema goes dark and the screen lights up with the words "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....
that was it I was transported back to 1977 when I first saw the original as a ten year old and I turned into a blubbering mess
 
Small Prophets on BBC2, a quirky bittersweet series from Mackenzie Crook (The Detectorists, The Office).
The plot ranges from the mundane to the mysterious, as hardware store worker Michael Sleep (Pearce Quigley) resorts to alchemy to try to find out what happened to his vanished girlfriend.
Wonderful supporting cast including Michael Palin, Paul Kaye, Lauren Patel and Crook himself.
6 x 30 minute episodes.
 
Champions League last night , the beautiful game at its best .
Galatasary’s destruction of Juventus and PSG’s comeback from 2 down to win 3-2 .
A marvellous nights entertainment
 
Most of the time Soccer is boring but last night was a rare night indeed with two games that were actually entertaining.
 
We are being spoiled by the excellence of the knockout qualifying games in the Champions League .
Last night was another viewing feast , Club Brugge & Atletico Madrid 3-3 & the fairytale Bodo Glimt beating Inter Milan 3-1.
No wonder they call it the beautiful game .
 
I have started to rewatch Homelands, simply magnificent.
Do you mean Homeland? The one with Damian Lewis and Claire Danes? I really liked the first season of that back at the time and maybe the second season also but I went off it after that at some point. Claire Danes's almost permanently pained expression contributed somewhat to that.
If it came out today, with my now much changed perspectives on the USA, the Arab/Muslim world and especially Israel i don't think I'd be able to see past its propagandist spin.
 
There's so much content these days I can't remember the last time I re-watched something.
Deliberately that is... sometimes halfway through a documentary deja vu will kick in!
I try to rate anything I watch on IMDB but some stuff isn't listed there.
 
I can't remember enough of the previous season to be able to pick up where it left off.
Yeah, there's a few series I enjoyed but I've "lost the thread" of what was going on, and it wasn't one of my top series, so has been dropped.

Definitely a problem where you can have long gaps between series with continuing story arcs.
 
I used to love the "follier-uppers" but now prefer what I can view in one sitting
Similar here. Especially for murder mysteries or thrillers, much prefer something wrapped up in one sitting.
Something with 4-6 episodes can get through in a quiet weekend, but not a fan of 8-10 episode ones.
 
Do you mean Homeland? The one with Damian Lewis and Claire Danes? I really liked the first season of that back at the time and maybe the second season also but I went off it after that at some point. Claire Danes's almost permanently pained expression contributed somewhat to that.
If it came out today, with my now much changed perspectives on the USA, the Arab/Muslim world and especially Israel i don't think I'd be able to see past its propagandist spin.
Oh sorry yes Homeland.
Homelands was an equally amazing festival which I too would like to revisit very much hahhahaahhahahahahahhahahahaha

I only finished watching another thing on Netflix with Claire in it. Yes she leaves me on edge but I just loved it.
I have no political feelings, I just view it as damn good television.

(and I have a secret crush on Damian Lewis)

Damn it need to rewatch Billions now too.
 
There's so much content these days I can't remember the last time I re-watched something.
Deliberately that is... sometimes halfway through a documentary deja vu will kick in!
I only made the switch to streaming in 2020 and because of Covid the binge watching really accelerated
So Mrs C started a spreadsheet of when we had a particular streaming service, what we've watched and as we only have one streaming service at one time what episode we ended on if we didn't get to finish the series in the month
It's been very helpful in deciding which service has enough content for the next months viewing

We're at or very near the point were each channel doesn't have enough new or interesting content to us for the whole month
like for example Disney+ which I feel has very little of new content to interest us, won't be subscribed again until at least this time next year
So one change we made was to slow down our viewing to two episodes a night of a particular series during the week to make it last the week
and reserve the weekends for mainly film watching new or old

Where I'll rewatch a film even multiple times, I find it hard to do the same with a lot of series for some reason, me thinks it's probably a time related issue and and the element of surprise is gone as you know how it ends but funnily enough I'm rewatching "Frasier" at the moment and really enjoying it, maybe comedy is different to a good crime thriller

Regarding what I've recently watch and enjoyed, "Dexter: Resurrection" is worth a watch if an anti hero serial killer is your thing
If you don't know who Dexter is and are looking for something to watch, you've got 8 seasons of the original series which ran from '06 to '12
and then was resurrected in '21 to now with 2 new series and a origin story with a lot of the original cast reprising their roles
And the best bit for me is it's been renewed for another season
 
Saw a clip from Britain's Got Talent. It featured 840 drones doing an amazing "artistic" display in Blackpool. Could firework displays soon become a thing of the past?
 
Back
Top