UTV Broadband

Did you always have this problem or did it arise unexpectedly? It only started happening for me some time mid to late last year.

Probably in the last 2-3 months-I was without broadband from September to December/January due to UTV incompetence, and I think the problem has been in place since we were reconnected. Nothing else has changed.

This is what I get in the router log when I switch on. After this I have to manually disconnect and reconnect using the router control panel to get things going. Do you get the same sort of log?
Code:
2/22/2007 10:53:29> Primary DNS not found! 
2/22/2007 10:50:35> Lost contact with DNS servers
2/22/2007 10:11:3> Received time from Time Server 128.138.140.44
1/1/1970 0:0:38> Regained contact with DNS servers
1/1/1970 0:0:29> PPP1 Session is up.
1/1/1970 0:0:28> No Static Session Information is defined.
1/1/1970 0:0:28> Initialized Dynamic NAPT.
1/1/1970 0:0:28> NAT/NAPT Session Start: interface ppp1, WAN IP is 194.46.161.96
1/1/1970 0:0:28> PPP1: DNS Secondary IP address is 194.46.192.142
1/1/1970 0:0:28> PPP1: DNS Primary IP address is 194.46.192.141
1/1/1970 0:0:28> PPP1: PPP Gateway IP address is 194.46.193.65
1/1/1970 0:0:28> PPP1: PPP IP address is 194.46.161.96
1/1/1970 0:0:28> PPP1 CHAP Authentication success
1/1/1970 0:0:28> PPP1 PPPoE Session is established.
1/1/1970 0:0:28> PPP1 PPPoE PADS Received, Serivce-Name: AC-Name:dbn1.bras Tag:0104 Value:68 3E 30 49 AF 14 D5 C9 87 89 6C E4 9A 08 D2 FD 
1/1/1970 0:0:27> PPP1 PPPoE PADR Sent, AC-Name:dbn1.bras Serivce-Name: Tag:0104 Value:68 3E 30 49 AF 14 D5 C9 87 89 6C E4 9A 08 D2 FD 
1/1/1970 0:0:22> PPP1 PPPoE PADI Sent
1/1/1970 0:0:22> ADSL connected
1/1/1970 0:0:22> ATM layer is up, cell delineation achieved 
1/1/1970 0:0:22> ATM Connected 
1/1/1970 0:0:19> Lost contact with DNS servers
1/1/1970 0:0:0> Washer - washer_reg called! 
1/1/1970 0:0:0> CfgMgr: 'Washer.dlz' module loaded.
1/1/1970 0:0:0> CfgMgr: 'Shtm.dlz' module loaded.
1/1/1970 0:0:0> Dynamic NAPT is enabled
1/1/1970 0:0:0> ATM: Setting up vcc0, VPI=8, VCI=35 
1/1/1970 0:0:0> ATM: Detected 
1/1/1970 0:0:0> Ethernet Device 0 Detected

I seem to have resolved the problems I mentioned in this thread yesterday by switching to OpenDNS as mentioned in this thread and also the load time for web pages appears to be quicker . Any reason why I shouldn't stick with Open DNS?

I would (do!) use OpenDNS as a fallback in my router configuration. In general it's probably best to use your ISP's DNS servers when available since they will be closer and more efficient, and only fall back onto OpenDNS when they are not available. Unfortunately OpenDNS doesn't help with my initial failure to connect and the need for a manual disconnect/reconnect to get things going.

If having checked your dsl modem is actually connected using the voyager.home in your browser you can amend the dns settings in your local area or wireless network connection to use another dns server until UTV brings their back up.

Go into Network Connection (right click on computer symbol beside clock)
right click on your connection (wired or wireless),
click properties,
scroll down to Internet Protocal (TCP/IP), highlight it then click properites
in the new screen that pops up select (at the bottom) Use the following DNS server addresses and type these numbers in the boxes 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

click ok to come out.

Restart IE and you should be fine. Every now and then you can click Obtain DNS server address automatically to see if the UTV ones are back.

But it doesn't get around the 'reboot' issue experienced by myself and ClubMan?
No - I thought that DNS might have been related to the "reboot" problem and that using OpenDNS might help but it doesn't. While the router seems to report "Primary DNS not found" errors when this problem crops up it does not seem to be the root cause and a manual disconnect and reconnect and sometimes even a router soft or hard reset is required to rectify the problem. I must investigate in more detail at some stage. The odd thing is that this problem only started happening (for me anyway) some time last year and before that I never remember it happening. There was a separate issue with UTV's DNS dropping out even though the DSL link was OK and OpenDNS configured as a primary or fallback DNS contact would solve this specific one.

But it doesn't get around the 'reboot' issue experienced by myself and ClubMan?
Not sure if this is connected and I'm not well versed on router configurations, but I used to have a Zyxel C630 USB modem for UTV broadband and each time I started my PC, I had to unplug the USB connector from my PC and then plug it back in to get a DSL connection. This was not a USB issue as I used many other USB devices without a problem in the same ports I used with the modem (plus doing every diagnostic check I came across). I have since bought a Linksys (don't have model no to hand) wireless router/gateway and have not had a problem since. I also use Open DNS as a backup and have the Open DNS addresses configured in the router.

Not sure if this is connected and I'm not well versed on router configurations, but I used to have a Zyxel C630 USB modem for UTV broadband and each time I started my PC, I had to unplug the USB connector from my PC and then plug it back in to get a DSL connection. This was not a USB issue as I used many other USB devices without a problem in the same ports I used with the modem (plus doing every diagnostic check I came across). I have since bought a Linksys (don't have model no to hand) wireless router/gateway and have not had a problem since. I also use Open DNS as a backup and have the Open DNS addresses configured in the router.
This is irrelevant to my specific problems since I connect to the router using ethernet rather than USB.

By the way - I have summarised here the three classes of problems that I (and others) have experienced with UTV recently.

I have no idea what any of that 'DNS' or other stuff means but as someone who is considering signing up to UTV Broadband - is it a bad idea???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dns

In general I have found them OK but there have been problems recently. Overall I would still probably recommend them. Remember that most ADSL providers are still simply reselling eircom's wholesale package so all things (in particular the individual ISPs' admin and technical setups) being equal
there should not be much difference between them all.

I'd also recommend Utv - have been with them almost two years now and have had no problem apart from the odd disconnect, i.e. loss of service. If that happens, unless you're an expert, don't go fiddling around as you might cause more problems for yourself. I learned that the hard way! All I'd do now is unplug the modem, wait a little while and if that doesn't work just wait for the service to be restored.

Presumably you know there are free after hours and weekend phone calls (up to an hour) local, national and to UK which is a bonus? On the other hand, a lot of posters here find BT very satisfactory and possibly cheaper. However they seem to make mistakes with the bills so on that account I've stick with Utv and it has got cheaper and faster since I signed up.

Unlike some posters, in the main I have found their support system pretty good. One thing to know, you never get the actual speed they promise. 2MB is usually translates to 1,600 and 3MB never exceeds 2,600. I don't understand that DNS stuff either but I don't need to know, being a happy novice who has got a lot of helpful advice on AAM. Thanks everyone - you know who you are:)

Presumably you know there are free after hours and weekend phone calls (up to an hour) local, national and to UK which is a bonus? On the other hand, a lot of posters here find BT very satisfactory and possibly cheaper. However they seem to make mistakes with the bills so on that account I've stick with Utv and it has got cheaper and faster since I signed up.

I am with UTV for years and would have broadband with them but my land line was a party line so we had to go wireless. I have found their call charges and general service quite good until recently when Mr Mac qualified for DSFA allowance and the mistakes? in their bill has now got beyond a joke. I have with the assistance of a person from the pensions dept tried to sort the billing problem and after lots of rows and discussions two weeks ago the problem was sorted.

However the phone bill for February came and we are once more being charged for line rental so I rang UTV support team to query the bill and got my crossword and my coffee ready for the long haul reply. Spoke to admin "they will never give a name" and admin said he would speak to the appropiate department.

When I asked admin about a certain amount of free calls included in the DSFA scheme he attacked me verbally telling me that we had free calls wekends plus so I informed him that was my contract with UTV.

Is Eircom the only company that DSFA recipents can avail of free calls.

Is Eircom the only company that DSFA recipents can avail of free calls.
Are you talking about the SW Household Benefits package? Note that this does not cover calls. It covers line rental (more or less). And should be available no matter what landline service provider you use.
When I asked admin about a certain amount of free calls included in the DSFA scheme he attacked me verbally
Are you sure that he actually "attacked" you!? :confused:

Sat evening and UTV is up and down likes a fiddler's whatsit.
Seriously considering my options though I am happy with the cheap phone calls.

Back