The safety of the new vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just another strain. The Italian strain was most prevalent in Ireland during the spring. The Spanish strain has been the most common in Europe during the second wave.
Mutations are normal. In the short term there’s nothing to worry about.
Perhaps, but the mutation this time appears different as its being blamed either rightly or wrongly on the high levels of transmission in the greater London area and Kent.

I agree that all viruses mutate its part of the viruses evolution and we know the flu mutates every year, and the vaccine changed accordingly and you are correct in saying the types of Covid-19 we have had are different.

Just watching and reading the various articles there appears to be a concern that this mutation is specific to the viruses spike protein, hopefully Im wrong but when I saw that work has restarted on looking at the genetic make up of this strain my brain started rattling.

Could it cause complication for the vaccines that are based on attenuated strain of virus rather than mRNA ones?
e.g. annual flu vaccine needs to include multiple strains
When I told herself this morning she asked me what did they exactly say , I couldn't answer so forwarded the bbc link above.

From what I understand, yes.
The mRNA vaccines will only be minorly (opposite of “bigly”) affected.
Thats a brave statement given that those vaccines are brand new and are only in circulation since last week..
My wife has been involved in vaccines since the early 90s and she has said it will be a long time before we know what we need to know definitively and expect issues.
I admire your optimistic view though

Moderna's Covid-19 vaccine is 94 percent effective at preventing illness and appears to protect against infection as well, according to documents released Tuesday morning ahead of a meeting of advisors to the Food and Drug Administration, scheduled for Thursday...
There were approximately 2/3 fewer swabs that were positive in the vaccine group as compared to the placebo group at the pre-dose 2 timepoint, suggesting that some asymptomatic infections start to be prevented after the first dose.

This is significant as it would mean vaccinated people would not spread the disease.

Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee December 17, 2020 Meeting Briefing Document Addendum- Sponsor (fda.gov)

Moderna's Covid-19 vaccine is 94 percent effective at preventing illness and appears to protect against infection as well, according to documents released Tuesday morning ahead of a meeting of advisors to the Food and Drug Administration, scheduled for Thursday...
There were approximately 2/3 fewer swabs that were positive in the vaccine group as compared to the placebo group at the pre-dose 2 timepoint, suggesting that some asymptomatic infections start to be prevented after the first dose.

This is significant as it would mean vaccinated people would not spread the disease.

Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee December 17, 2020 Meeting Briefing Document Addendum- Sponsor (fda.gov)
This is good news, of course again Moderna doesn't have its own manufacturing facilities so it will be manufactured by 3rd parties, however they did start sourcing these in the summer and have signed contracts.

Let's hope this gets approved too, add in Oxford/Astrazeneca and 2021 might be half decent.

Not my view. Kingsley Mills, stated it this morning. One of the advantages of the mRNA vaccines. Even if the existing Pfizer or Moderna vaccines don’t work against the new London strain, only little modification will be required and no Stage Three testing.
I admire his optimistic view too.

Pfizer has more than one versions, and we know that just because one vaccine has been produced doesn't mean that research stops.
We now know mRna is "programmable " so if needs be I would imagine that be given a new set of instructions.

To return to the topic of this thread...
My concern with the safety of the new vaccine(s) would be “long-Covid equivalent” side-effects.

To elaborate...
IIRC it wasn’t until about April this year we started hearing about long-Covid (and maybe a few months later before that became the commonly used term).
Many people contracted Covid, were symptomatic, recovered, and a few months later had ongoing Covid-related issues.
Covid is regarded as a respiratory infection, but long-Covid may affect any of a number of different organs.
It took the experts by surprise.
And long-Covid still seems to be a mystery and little is know about it.

Many vaccines give mild, short-lived, side effects. My fear is that a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine may give, as I termed it earlier, “long-Covid equivalent” side effects.
Agreed there is evidence of lung scaring, chronic fatigue, and its thought that the virus itself might and I stress might be able to reside in the bowel.

There are studies going on , very small populations of volunteers, but I would say that we might be still be trying to understand the full effects of Covid and all its family for some time.

Ditto with the vaccine but like everything now only time and further research will tell.

The BBC reported this morning on a report issued that now seems to indicate that as much as 1 in 10 people who were hospitalised with covid are now suffering or have suffered " Long Covid " and the effects are beyond what was thought initially.
The TV report although brief also mentioned that long covid has affected all ages including the young. The recommendations are that people discharged from hospital should now be asked back for checkups after 6 weeks.

While the vaccine will probably help in preventing death and assist in recovery time its reasonable to assume that Covid-19 will probably be now another "illness" that will place further issues on already stretched health care systems and of course the financial status of countries

Regarding the roll-out of the vaccines....the Covid test centers seem to have worked well for people...could these be used? You get your appointment as per the Covid test and away you go..

Regarding the roll-out of the vaccines....the Covid test centers seem to have worked well for people...could these be used? You get your appointment as per the Covid test and away you go..
There might be an hour or two of observation of recipient. I don't know if that happens but weren't most tests carried out outdoors and would it be possible to ensure the vaccine is kept safe.

Just reading that Pfizers distribution in the US is falling behind not because of manufacturing issues but with simple logistics. Allegedly batches aren't going/ arriving where they should thus comprising the vaccine.
The US Army are meant to be co-ordinating but apparently its not going well with expected doses being cut for many states.
Add in the hack and things are getting complicated.
My brother in law and sister in law in DC have tested positive , both work for the FDA and they have described things as chaos.

We might have a long road ahead if this is repeated in Europe.

also heard that there is problem getting ingredients in sufficient quantity to manufacture vaccine
Didn't hear that must be the States? I know a couple of Pfizers EU plants are producing a lot more "medium" than normal and are 24hr ops now, one country loves it, other hates it used, to 35 hr weeks the latter.......

Europe might be in a better place as the US will have a lot of competition for everything.

The BBC reported this morning on a report issued that now seems to indicate that as much as 1 in 10 people who were hospitalised with covid are now suffering or have suffered " Long Covid " and the effects are beyond what was thought initially.
The TV report although brief also mentioned that long covid has affected all ages including the young. The recommendations are that people discharged from hospital should now be asked back for checkups after 6 weeks.

While the vaccine will probably help in preventing death and assist in recovery time its reasonable to assume that Covid-19 will probably be now another "illness" that will place further issues on already stretched health care systems and of course the financial status of countries
Just to add to this , its now estimated that as much as 200,000 people in the UK have long covid.
BBC this morning had a Dr on who literally unable to walk properly, she has " had to fit her house out as if she were disabled " this is a 38 year old woman who even was in Africa to help with the Ebola.
There were other people who had other terrible problems too and nobody seems to understand why its happening or how the virus can do this to the body.

I'm an eternal optimistic type but I'm becoming more concerned that even with vaccines this disease will have much longer repercussions than anyone could have foreseen and the knock on effects to everything that we took as being normal.

The above link should provide a little insight into Moderna and its now approved vaccine.

Its great news that we have 2 vaccines in play with as many as 19 possibles in various stages of development.

The link shows "cookies " but I have used it and it does get to the report, if not my apologies, but a simple Google search will get it.

This mornings FT has a few stories regarding " vaccines " already appearing on the dark web. Prices vary from $250 to $750 all payable by bitcoin.
These are emanating from both the US and China.

Great news re Moderna approved by FDA in US... its results in preventing infection and illness v encouraging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back