Tesco Bank Seem to be Exiting Ireland

What happens to my ClubCard points after the transfer is approved?

Your Avant Credit card will provide you with the same earn rate as you have today, which is 1 point for every €2 Tesco Spend and 1 point for every €8 spend elsewhere. At transfer, we will issue you with a new ClubCard so you can still collect points and enjoy the benefits of ClubCard

currently tesco credit card holders get 2 points for every €2 spend. it seems from change over to Avant it will only be 1 point for every €2 .

Do you retain your Tesco Credit Card Limit ?

1a. We will choose your credit limit and tell you what it is. We may reduce it at any time and write to you to to let you know in accordance with this agreement.

Two other things that concerned me regarding the new Ts & Cs:
1. No APR quoted. My document just shows "[ ]%" beside "Borrowing Rate" and "APR" headings - although assuming Avantcard rates are applicable they will be higher than Tesco
2. Section 16c "If you terminate this agreement within the first 6 months, we reserve the right to charge you for this and, if we do, such charge will be appropriate and in line with the actual cost to us of terminating this agreement." This suggests that if accounts are closed withing 6 months they can apply a penalty charge that they consider appropriate.

currently tesco credit card holders get 2 points for every €2 spend. it seems from change over to Avant it will only be 1 point for every €2 .
Are you sure? Did Tesco not change the rates back in 2015?

I am getting 1 point for every €1 spend in Tesco with Tesco credit card. so with Avant card it will be only 1 point for €2

oints added
Transaction details Transaction value Total points
634000 XXXX XXXX 07/07/2018 TESCO ARDKEEN €7.62 7
634000 XXXX XXXX 05/07/2018 TESCO LISDUGGAN €37.18 37

I contacted Tesco today and they said that there will be no club card points received for the use of the Avant credit card. They said it wasn't possible to reach an agreement with Avantcard. A Tesco club card will be issued to people but it seems that we will no longer earn points outside Tesco. I'm in 2 minds whether to close now and get another card - obviously would end up paying the government levy twice

obviously would end up paying the government levy twice
There's a way around this.

"If you are changing to a different credit card account, you don’t have to pay the duty again for that year. When you are closing the account your card issuer will give you a letter of closure stating that you have paid your stamp duty for the year. If you give this letter to your new card issuer, you will not be charged stamp duty by them for that year."
From: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...es_and_vat/stamp_duty_on_financial_cards.html

Edit: to add you might need to 'remind' your bank about this. I don't work with cards, but I know this happens very rarely, probably because people don't know about it.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for that info RedOnion - wasn't aware of that.

Tesco still have a statement on their website today stating that the earn rate with the Avant card will be the same. The conditions for the Avant card seem vastly poorer in comparison to current rates etc and I think Tesco are treating Irish club card (e.g. Clubcard boost site down for "maintenance" for weeks and still down today) and their credit card customers appallingly. I have had their credit card for about 13 years and it was great for about 10 years

Yes I am inclined to move also perhaps back to our main bank, TSB. The lack of online information on card activity was always a nuisance.
Anyone out there that would recommend one card over another for routine domestic stuff or are they all much the same?

According to the Sunday Times here, Avantcard are to introduce a reward scheme but it does not sound great.

Avantcard’s programme will give discounts when shopping at retailers such as Argos, Tesco and Eason. It also offers 4% cashback on trips arranged on booking.com.

Anyone out there that would recommend one card over another for routine domestic stuff or are they all much the same?

I am applying for the KBC card, have no experience with it. There is a 1% cashback on grocery and internet spend capped at €10/ month. Since Tesco dropped their rewards that's all I'm getting from them anyway.
If you transfer your Tesco balance to KBC there is 0% interest for 6 months (I was told) and as explained above, only one card stamp duty payable for the year.

KBC seems to be the best deal available at the moment considering that their 1% cashback includes online spending on items such as flights and insurance as well as all the main supermarkets. Just don't use it for non-Euro transactions and especially not for non-Euro ATM withdrawals as these incur the usual ripoff surcharges. A minor drawback is that the way the account is presented on the KBC app is confusing (to me at any rate). It's hard to tell what amount is due exactly when.

Last edited:
KBC seems to be the best deal available at the moment considering that their 1% cashback includes online spending on items such as flights and insurance as well as all the main supermarkets. Just don't use it for non-Euro transactions and especially not for non-Euro ATM withdrawals as these incur the usual ripoff surcharges. A minor drawback is that the way the account is presented on the KBC app is a bit confusing (to me at any rate). It's hard to tell when exactly what amount is due.

I am also thinking about KBC if Avantcard is not going to provide tesco points. just waiting for confirmation regarding tesco points with Avantcard. I rang Avantcard and the girl i spoke said speding with Avant card will not earn Tesco points.

Update: rang the number on letter send my Avant card. automated voice confirmed earning tesco point using avant card so as the gentleman i spoke with later on the phone.

Last edited:
I contacted Tesco today and they said that there will be no club card points received for the use of the Avant credit card. They said it wasn't possible to reach an agreement with Avantcard. A Tesco club card will be issued to people but it seems that we will no longer earn points outside Tesco. I'm in 2 minds whether to close now and get another card - obviously would end up paying the government levy twice
I got a flyer in the post last week saying the new credit would be delayed until September, but it also said that clubcard points were being awarded.

Got a letter from Avant saying the transfer will happen on the 12th Oct, and another letter with a PIN for my wife's card.
You can set-up your on-line account with the details they send you but it wont activate until the 12th.

I had two Tesco cards on the same account with the same 16-digit card number - one in my name and one in my wife's

I've received my Avantcards, but the 16-digit numbers on each card are different. I'm just wondering if this means Avantcard are treating us as two separate accounts and/or might I get charged two separate annual stamp duties?

As a Tesco credit card customer I have not received anything about the change to Avantcard since the letter in July. Just wondering am I the only one or are there others out there? Is everybody changing on the 12th?

To those who have got their Avantcards did you retain the same credit limit and has there been any more detail on earning clubcard points with the new cards?

Back