Russian Foreign Policy

If sanctions are put in place by the EU and USA, and they almost certainly will be, then China becomes the key player in all of this. They have their own reasons for having a strong policy in support of State sovereignty but they have also strengthened ties with Russia, don't like America but love Russian resources.
If China puts sanctions in place Russia is screwed economically.

If sanctions are put in place by the EU and USA, and they almost certainly will be, then China becomes the key player in all of this.
China will be closely monitoring the reaction & sactions imposed by the west...should be very valuable information for them...

Russia has had an invasion force in Ukraine since 2014. It expanded its footprint significantly today.

That's just fake news. They are peacekeepers.....!

At least the UN Security Council are on top of things....I heard some great speeches last night.

I am just waiting to see Mick Wallace and Clare Daly think of the situation.....

That's just fake news. They are peacekeepers.....!

At least the UN Security Council are on top of things....I heard some great speeches last night.
We can always count on autocratic police states to do the right thing.

I am just waiting to see Mick Wallace and Clare Daly think of the situation.....
Didn't you know that it's a purely defensive invasion.

When people come out with the usual talk of how evil America is I ask them who they'd rather be the most powerful country in the world. Situations like this kind of answer that question for them.
Can you imagine what Russia would be up to if it was as powerful as America?

Good letter from Martin Mansergh in today's IT. It draws a good analogy between Ireland having achieved its independence from GB and Ukraine having achieved independence from Russia. No way would Dev have considered the possibility of allowing German troops and military materiel on Irish soil nor entering a treaty with Germany.

When people come out with the usual talk of how evil America is I ask them who they'd rather be the most powerful country in the world. Situations like this kind of answer that question for them.
Well, Ireland of course.
Fintan the Tool, Mick, Clare and many others would prefer Russia.

Last edited:
Xi really has Putin by the round and tender bits. All he has to do is squeeze, gently at first, and then more firmly. Certainly, Mr Putin, we'd love to buy your nice cheap oil. With Renmenbi. Actually, that'll be Renmenbi credits, redeemable against our finest industrial products. Do we have a deal? Do I have a choice? No!

Am I being overly cynical but when you have 750 people a day dying of Covid, less then half the population fully vacinated and an economy over dependent on one product (fossil fuels), invading the next door neighbour is both a great way of keeping fossil fuel prices high and distracting your subjects on the Pandemic?

I can't help but wonder, if Trump was in still in charge? He'd probably be backing Vlads all the way..

Well it's all kicked off properly in Ukraine.
Start digging your bunker and stock up on adult nappies.

In hindsight, UIkraine's membership to NATO needed to be presented as a fait accompli, with NATO troops in Ukraine during the annoucement - in response to Russia's virtual annexation of Belarus, if not sooner.
This dangling it as a future prospect gave Russia an urgency to attack.
Of course, with Putin in charge, the prospect of a free and prosperous Ukraine next door highlighting the true state of affairs in Russia for the ordinary person may have 'justified' an attack to him regardless of NATO.

Some US commentators expect that Putin will launch a massive cyber-attack which may reach Poland, a NATO country.

In hindsight, Ukraine's membership to NATO needed to be presented as a fait accompli, with NATO troops in Ukraine during the announcement - in response to Russia's virtual annexation of Belarus, if not sooner.
This dangling it as a future prospect gave Russia an urgency to attack.
Of course, with Putin in charge, the prospect of a free and prosperous Ukraine next door highlighting the true state of affairs in Russia for the ordinary person may have 'justified' an attack to him regardless of NATO.
Ukraine was the breadbasket of the USSR. It produces around 10% of the worlds Grain.

We in the West have to make a decisions about whether we continue to feed the beasts that want to destroy us.
We have participated in the creation of a Chinese totalitarian police State. We in Europe have done all we can to make us reliant on Russia for energy. Both countries are implacably opposed to the core ideals of our way of life. What on earth are we doing?

This could be over quickly if Kiev falls... most of the Ukraine army seems to be in the east, and outflanked by Russians troops coming from Belarus and paratroops taking airport near Kiev.

Back