Russian Foreign Policy

This could be over quickly if Kiev falls... most of the Ukraine army seems to be in the east, and outflanked by Russians troops coming from Belarus and paratroops taking airport near Kiev.
Will Putin declare the war over on an Aircraft Carrier?

His aim appears to be to destabilize the west, topple the Ukrainian government and replace it with a puppet controlled by Moscow.

Putin has become very isolated - even in Russia - and surrounds himself only with sycophants.

Let's hope Russia will take some action to remove him.

His aim appears to be to destabilize the west, topple the Ukrainian government and replace it with a puppet controlled by Moscow.
Maybe he's happy to put up with sanctions until they inevitably ease, before taking the next chunk off the old USSR back into the fold?

Some protests starting to break out across at least 2 cities in Russia, I expect they'll be shut down quite quickly but if the oligarchs assets are seized and the public reaction, when the bodybags start coming in, turns against Putin, then he could run out of domestic allies quickly

Looking at the map of Europe, I think Ukraine is the only country bordering Russia that's not in NATO (apart from Belarus which is already in Putin's control), so you would imagine that if/when Ukraine is taken over, that will be it. But I honestly think Putin has a few screws loose..

Looking at the map of Europe, I think Ukraine is the only country bordering Russia that's not in NATO (apart from Belarus which is already in Putin's control), so you would imagine that if/when Ukraine is taken over, that will be it. But I honestly think Putin has a few screws loose..

It won't be it. They don't need force to destabilise countries. I don't think we can delude ourselves anymore. They want the USSR back. Nothing less. A line needs to be drawn in the sand. We need to stop pretending that States like Russia and China are anything but a blight on democracy.

NATO forces are already on standby on its borders are being incrementally strengthened.

Any country not in NATO is fair game. I'm glad that we...

Last edited:
Moldova maybe... there is Transnistria issue so on Russian radar

The situation is sickening, if predictable. The West should impose total sanctions now.
The problem is that Ukraine supplies 10%of the world's grain and Russia another good chunk of it. If there are total sanctions it will disproportionately impact on the poorest countries in the world, particularly North African countries which are heavily reliant on that grain. Food makes up around 50% of their CPI basket and with countries like Sudan and Ethiopia already facing famines it would cause a much bigger disaster. Of course the solution is for Middle Eastern Oil Producers to give them money at 0% interest from their oil price bonanza but that's unlikely to happen.

Expelling Russia from the SWIFT banking system will cause them to turn off Europe's gas supply. Given that Ireland has no facility to receive Liquified Gas and we get most of our supply from a single pipeline from outside the EU we are particularly vulnerable.

Talking to some Polish colleagues yesterday, lots of family members and friends who are in their military reserve are being called up.

Talk online that Russia may lay siege to Kiev rather than risk trying to capture it, looking to basically put Ukraine back into vassal status with a puppet regime in charge.

Talk online that Russia may lay siege to Kiev rather than risk trying to capture it, looking to basically put Ukraine back into vassal status with a puppet regime in charge.
I hears an analyst say that Russia will seek to impose a new Federal constitution on Ukraine which contains an explicit statement that they will not join NATO. If they do then the Tanks will roll again.

Back