Russian Foreign Policy

Excellent piece in The New Statesman on Russia, Putin and what informs their foreign policy.
A lot of words to say very little. Putin is a gangster and his foreign policy is solely devoted to his own enrichment. This enrichment of himself and a few cronies has impoverished his country, therefore he needs foreign enemies to distract the people. And he makes plenty of them!

He also needs to keep the price of oil and gas high. This requires leverage over Saudi and the Gulf states to "encourage" them to tighten supply. Hence Syria. Simple, really.

Excellent piece in The New Statesman on Russia, Putin and what informs their foreign policy.
Thanks for the link. I thought the article was a little over-wrought. Power only exists as it combats chaos indeed. Power exists to create and accumulate wealth I would have thought.

As for Russia having no strategic vision in Syria, nonsense. Russia has a large potentially disaffected Sunni Muslim population in its southern regions. It has long seen allying with Sias further south as an ideal counterweight. Assad’s father was a student in Moscow decades ago.

A lot of words to say very little. Putin is a gangster and his foreign policy is solely devoted to his own enrichment. This enrichment of himself and a few cronies has impoverished his country, therefore he needs foreign enemies to distract the people. And he makes plenty of them!

He also needs to keep the price of oil and gas high. This requires leverage over Saudi and the Gulf states to "encourage" them to tighten supply. Hence Syria. Simple, really.
I suppose there is a presumption of an end game in his strategy. What the article suggests is that the strategy is to avoid an end game, to just keep playing the game in perpetuity.

Thanks for the link. I thought the article was a little over-wrought. Power only exists as it combats chaos indeed. Power exists to create and accumulate wealth I would have thought.
The Orwellian vision of perpetual war being used to justify more centralised power and a lack of democracy is, I think, closer to the mark. The more chaos, the more power can be centralised.
As for Russia having no strategic vision in Syria, nonsense. Russia has a large potentially disaffected Sunni Muslim population in its southern regions.
Muslims make up close to 20% of Russia's population (the 8.5% figure usually cited is incorrect because Chechnya and Ingushetia were at war when the last census was taken and so are not part of the total given). Islam has been in Russia since the very start of the religion ( a few decades after Mohamed died) and Islamic Intellectuals were encouraged by Catherine the Great. They are nearly all Sunni and most of them live around Moscow and St. Petersburg.

The populations in the South are relatively small although they can certainly cause problems and yes, they are also predominantly Sunni with many of them being part of the Sufi sect. I find the religious history of the Caucuses and Central Asia in general fascinating.

It has long seen allying with Sias further south as an ideal counterweight. Assad’s father was a student in Moscow decades ago.
Yep, but the bigger picture is to ensure there is no gas pipeline to Europe through Syria and general instability in the region.

The title of that New Statesman piece is:- Is Putin Preparing for War?

1. His might couldn't defeat relatively few rough shod Afghanis even after 10 years of occupation. Russia beat over extended Nazis in Stalingrad and of course that major tank battle at Kursk. Russia would have no chance against a united EU + UK beckoned on by Poland and former Russian states. Putin's planes would have no problem sinking the Royal Navy's Queen Elizabeth II (a sitting duck), but other than that he'd be wasting his time and would lose more than he'd gain. I haven't even mentioned support from the USA.

2. The gas pipeline to Europe through Syria and general instability in the region are issues. Yes, but these have been issues for 100's of years.

3. The electric car will sort out most of the Middle East in due course. (Personally I can't wait for the day!).

4. Russia is self destructing slowly so no need for too much concern.

5. I'd be more afraid from the Rasputins than the Putins. I wonder how long more he'll be around.

The title of that New Statesman piece is:- Is Putin Preparing for War?

1. His might couldn't defeat relatively few rough shod Afghanis even after 10 years of occupation. Russia beat over extended Nazis in Stalingrad and of course that major tank battle at Kursk. Russia would have no chance against a united EU + UK beckoned on by Poland and former Russian states. Putin's planes would have no problem sinking the Royal Navy's Queen Elizabeth II (a sitting duck), but other than that he'd be wasting his time and would lose more than he'd gain. I haven't even mentioned support from the USA.

2. The gas pipeline to Europe through Syria and general instability in the region are issues. Yes, but these have been issues for 100's of years.

3. The electric car will sort out most of the Middle East in due course. (Personally I can't wait for the day!).

4. Russia is self destructing slowly so no need for too much concern.

5. I'd be more afraid from the Rasputins than the Putins. I wonder how long more he'll be around.
Russia has nearly 3 times as many main battle tanks as the entire EU. It has more and more modern fighters and can field an army of around 2 million within a few months of mobilisation. There is no chance the EU could win a war without an 'all in' commitment of US resources and men.

Russia has nearly 3 times as many main battle tanks as the entire EU. It has more and more modern fighters and can field an army of around 2 million within a few months of mobilisation. There is no chance the EU could win a war without an 'all in' commitment of US resources and men.
Bring it on . . . ! It'd be the easiest victory for the EU+UK+ USA and even "we" could forego our neutrality. I believe Putin won't be around for too much longer.

The EU is also exposed in its ability to deliver a nuclear counterattack. Russia has a total of 6,257 nuclear warheads; the EU, i.e. France, has 290. (Source: Wikipedia). It shows a complete lack of strategic thinking by the EU to let the UK, the only other serious military power in Europe with its arsenal of 225 warheads, to leave the EU without some plan to replace these weapons, or some mutual defence treaty with the UK. In any event only the USA with its stock of nuclear weapons provides an adequate deterrent against Russia. While a nuclear war is probably a low and remote risk at present, it is still a risk and e.g. a consolidation of EU states within NATO, greater cooperation with the USA, etc. are avenues that could be explored. In the short term, EU member states should address conventional defence measures, such as, Member States being required to up their military expenditure to the NATO recommendeded 2% of GDP, enhance military co-operation through PESCO, improvement in civil defence, etc.

Last edited:
Bring it on . . . ! It'd be the easiest victory for the EU+UK+ USA and even "we" could forego our neutrality. I believe Putin won't be around for too much longer.
If the USA (who spend as much on their armed forces as the next 30 countries combined) are in the fight then we'd win a conventional war but without them and/or their equipment we'd lose.
Remember that the Soviets only beat the Germans with American hardware and technology. And it was the Soviets who beat them, D-Day was aa side show. More combatants were killed on the Eastern Front than in all other theatres of the War combined. The Americans supplied around 16 million tons of equipment to the Russians. To put that in context they only supplied 22 million tons to their own forces in Europe from 1942 to 1945. Russian blood and American Steel won the war. Polish piolets in American planes won the Battle of Britain but that was an even smaller side show.
If anyone thinks that EU forces (plus the UK) could beat the Russians, with their history and combat experience, is in for a rude awakening.

It seems to me that Russia is a mafia state and a regional nuisance. Things usually end badly for mafia bosses. How many nukes do you need as a deterrent (is thousands really that much better than hundreds, would tens of thousands be better again)? The EU should he steadily weaning itself off Russian oil and gas.

It seems to me that Russia is a mafia state and a regional nuisance. Things usually end badly for mafia bosses. How many nukes do you need as a deterrent (is thousands really that much better than hundreds, would tens of thousands be better again)? The EU should he steadily weaning itself off Russian oil and gas.
Good point, Michaelm - Hit their pockets and they'll come begging.

The EU should he steadily weaning itself off Russian oil and gas.

If the USA (who spend as much on their armed forces as the next 30 countries combined) are in the fight then we'd win a conventional war but without them and/or their equipment we'd lose.
Remember that the Soviets only beat the Germans with American hardware and technology. And it was the Soviets who beat them, D-Day was aa side show. More combatants were killed on the Eastern Front than in all other theatres of the War combined. The Americans supplied around 16 million tons of equipment to the Russians. To put that in context they only supplied 22 million tons to their own forces in Europe from 1942 to 1945. Russian blood and American Steel won the war. Polish piolets in American planes won the Battle of Britain but that was an even smaller side show.
If anyone thinks that EU forces (plus the UK) could beat the Russians, with their history and combat experience, is in for a rude awakening.
There was also the air campaign against Germany and German industry by the US and UK.
This both significantly suppressed German industrial output and diverted it towards the air defence of Germany.
The Russians had to face far fewer tanks and planes and guns because of this.
That should also be considered with the ground forces tied up in France, Italy, Norway and lost in North Africa during the 'in the balance' years of 1941-1944.

There was also the air campaign against Germany and German industry by the US and UK.
This both significantly suppressed German industrial output and diverted it towards the air defence of Germany.
The Russians had to face far fewer tanks and planes and guns because of this.
That should also be considered with the ground forces tied up in France, Italy, Norway and lost in North Africa during the 'in the balance' years of 1941-1944.
Yes, that all mattered too but Russia did more heavy lifting than everyone else combined.
The movement of their industrial base over the Ural mountains is one of the most remarkable feats of logistics ever. They moved over 2,500 factories and 12 million people and set it all up again in the Ural and Volga regions as well and Central Asia and Siberia.
By 1943 they were producing 1300 T34 Tanks a month and in two years they halved the production cost. That's the equivalent of 3 full strength Panzer Divisions a month. It was, by far, the best Tank of the war in that it was the best value and gave the best return on investment.

The Soviet Union couldn't have done all that heavy lifting without huge assistance from the USA / UK. This included 12,000 tanks, 8000 other armoured vehicles, 20,000 fighter aircraft, over 400,000 jeeps and trucks, 37,000 motorcycles, 2000 locomotives plus 10,000 cargo carriages. Plus millions of tyres, spare parts and mobile maintenance workshops with generators, welding equipment, machine tools and raw materials. And over 8000 radio, radar and sonar sets.
Then there was 15,000,000 pairs of boots, 1,500,000 blankets, 100,000 tons of cotton, five million tons of food and 3,000,000 tonnes of fuel including over 50% of all aviation fuel used by the Soviets during the war.
And, to wash it all down, 300,000 litres of alcohol!

In total, 17,500,000 tonnes of stuff, which compares well with the 22,000,000 tonnes the US delivered to Europe for use by their own forces.

All free gratis, no money ever changed hands, and at considerable cost in money and lives lost when convoys were attacked and ships torpedoed.

You'd think that might have bought a little gratitude but instead the Soviets publicly minimized and downplayed it while burnishing the myth of Soviet exceptionalism. Their sympathisers still do so.

The Soviet Union couldn't have done all that heavy lifting without huge assistance from the USA / UK. This included 12,000 tanks, 8000 other armoured vehicles, 20,000 fighter aircraft, over 400,000 jeeps and trucks, 37,000 motorcycles, 2000 locomotives plus 10,000 cargo carriages. Plus millions of tyres, spare parts and mobile maintenance workshops with generators, welding equipment, machine tools and raw materials. And over 8000 radio, radar and sonar sets.
Then there was 15,000,000 pairs of boots, 1,500,000 blankets, 100,000 tons of cotton, five million tons of food and 3,000,000 tonnes of fuel including over 50% of all aviation fuel used by the Soviets during the war.
And, to wash it all down, 300,000 litres of alcohol!

In total, 17,500,000 tonnes of stuff, which compares well with the 22,000,000 tonnes the US delivered to Europe for use by their own forces.

All free gratis, no money ever changed hands, and at considerable cost in money and lives lost when convoys were attacked and ships torpedoed.
Yes, as previously noted;
The Americans supplied around 16 million tons of equipment to the Russians. To put that in context they only supplied 22 million tons to their own forces in Europe from 1942 to 1945. Russian blood and American Steel won the war.
America gave the same level of support to the British. It was American planes that won the Battle of Britain and the best piolets during that battle were Polish. The British also ignored that.
The British and the Americans massively downplay the Eastern Front, instead creating the narrative that D-Day was the definitive event that led to the defeat of the Germans and their allies which is, of course, complete nonsense. That's not to say it wasn't important but D-Day was as much about stopping the Russians swallowing Europe as it was about defeating the Germans. They'd lost by then.

You'd think that might have bought a little gratitude but instead the Soviets publicly minimized and downplayed it while burnishing the myth of Soviet exceptionalism. Their sympathisers still do so.

Pointing out the facts does not make one a sympathiser. That sort of emotive language is also nonsensical.
The realpolitik of post-war Europe and the world meant that truth was sacrificed quite quickly. Gratitude was in short supply from people who were pointing Nukes at each other. With the benefit of 75 years of hindsight we should be able to take a less emotional and jingoistic view of history.

Back