Russian Foreign Policy

The Orwellian vision of perpetual war being used to justify more centralised power and a lack of democracy is, I think, closer to the mark. The more chaos, the more power can be centralised.

Muslims make up close to 20% of Russia's population (the 8.5% figure usually cited is incorrect because Chechnya and Ingushetia were at war when the last census was taken and so are not part of the total given). Islam has been in Russia since the very start of the religion ( a few decades after Mohamed died) and Islamic Intellectuals were encouraged by Catherine the Great. They are nearly all Sunni and most of them live around Moscow and St. Petersburg.

The populations in the South are relatively small although they can certainly cause problems and yes, they are also predominantly Sunni with many of them being part of the Sufi sect. I find the religious history of the Caucuses and Central Asia in general fascinating.

Yep, but the bigger picture is to ensure there is no gas pipeline to Europe through Syria and general instability in the region.
Interestingly they have no tolerance for any other religion

I have no great grá for Putin or Biden. When you cast out the imponderables and look on facts this is the Cuban Missile Crisis in reverse. Russia feels threatened by Ukraine joining NATO. Earlier on RTE radio news I head a Ukraine diplomat to the UK saying that Ukraine "might" give up its wish to join NATO.

If this is what it takes to avoid a dreadful war then fair dues to Ukraine

Last edited:
Hmmm, Czechoslovakia was dismembered to avoid another "dreadful war" and deliver peace in our time.

Didn't end well.

I have no great grá for Putin or Biden. When you cast out the imponderables and look on facts this is the Cuban Missile Crisis in reverse. Russia feels threatened by Ukraine joining NATO. Earlier on RTE radio news I head a Ukraine diplomat to the UK saying that Ukraine "might" give up its wish to join NATO.

If this is what it takes to avoid a dreadful war then fair dues to Ukraine
The Cuban Missile Crisis was a move by Russia to get the USA to remove its Nuke's from Turkey. Despite the bravado and bluster from Kennedy the Russian's won that hands down.

This is a further attempt to undermine NATO and the broader Western Coalition. If Putin goes in it will be a small force, just small enough to divide the response of NATO members.

Germany's monumentally stupid decision to abandon Nuclear power means they are reliant on Russia for energy so they are the weak link.

Undermine NATO or simply not want US tanks on their doorstep? I know you wouldn't think so based on our media here but do Russia not have a legitimate concern?

Germany's monumentally stupid decision to abandon Nuclear power means they are reliant on Russia for energy so they are the weak link.
That was a major blunder by Merkel, and she should have known better. Hopefully they will now reverse this decision in the interest of energy security.

Undermine NATO or simply not want US tanks on their doorstep? I know you wouldn't think so based on our media here but do Russia not have a legitimate concern?
No. The states bordering Russia are sovereign independent countries. They are entitled to enter alliances with other like minded nations, and they are also entitled to station troops and weapons on their own territory.

It would be if we knew what to do about the waste.
The amount of waste is tiny, a minuscule speck on a very large planet, and capable of easy and secure long term storage. Besides nuclear fission is only an interim technology, which will be superceded in coming decades by fusion and greater take-up of solar and offshore wind.

As to when the Russians will invade, my money is on the days immediately after the Winter Olympics (20th Feb). Wouldn't be surprised if that's why Vlads went to China recently..

It would be if we knew what to do about the waste.
Current Fission technology ()uses existing nuclear waste as a fuel source. The net result is less waste. There is enough stored nuclear waste in the USA to power 80% of the world for the next thousand years.
The TWR is also intrinsically safe; if you cut the power the reaction stops.

Current power plants all use 1950's technology. Imagine how many plane crashes there'd be if we were still using 1950's planes.

The amount of waste is tiny, a minuscule speck on a very large planet, and capable of easy and secure long term storage. Besides nuclear fission is only an interim technology, which will be superceded in coming decades by fusion and greater take-up of solar and offshore wind.
We've been 30 years away from Fusion for the last 70 years.

No. The states bordering Russia are sovereign independent countries. They are entitled to enter alliances with other like minded nations, and they are also entitled to station troops and weapons on their own territory.
Of course they are. My point is, aren't Russia entitled to feel threatened by such a move, especially when such a move would allow the US to land on their border? NATO has increased substantially over the years and I can understand why Russia feel threatened by this. The stakes are not purely being racheted up by Russia here, the US are doing nothing to diffuse matters as far as I can see. I think we get a very one sided view of the conflict in our media.

Of course they are. My point is, aren't Russia entitled to feel threatened by such a move, especially when such a move would allow the US to land on their border? NATO has increased substantially over the years and I can understand why Russia feel threatened by this. The stakes are not purely being racheted up by Russia here, the US are doing nothing to diffuse matters as far as I can see. I think we get a very one sided view of the conflict in our media.
There are already five NATO members who have a land border with Russia (Norway, Estonia and Latvia, Lithuania, Poland) and three more who border the Black Sea (Romania, Bulgaria and Turkey). They have joined because they fear Russia. NATO exists because countries fear Russia and they have good reason for doing so.

Even Ireland has a formal relationship with NATO since 1999 when we joined the Partnership for Peace.

There are already five NATO members who have a land border with Russia (Norway, Estonia and Latvia, Lithuania, Poland) and three more who border the Black Sea (Romania, Bulgaria and Turkey). They have joined because they fear Russia. NATO exists because countries fear Russia and they have good reason for doing so.

Even Ireland has a formal relationship with NATO since 1999 when we joined the Partnership for Peace.
I'm not for a second defending Russia or suggesting they have a right to invade Ukraine here or anything but it is worth considering both sides of the dispute. Fear works both ways. The Ukraine border with Russia almost doubles the combined total of the NATO countries who border it.

Back