RIP Thread for Notable People

Goodall also had a great sense of humour, as demonstrated by the Gary Larson "controversy" when he published this cartoon.
in-memory-of-jane-goodall-the-far-side-controversy-v0-stkd9cd6njsf1.webp

Despite initial backlash she took the joke and I read that he sent her the original drawing. She had the image printed on tee shirts which, I think, are still sold by her institute.
 
Last edited:
I'll always remember the lines when Del was talking to someone about the lawnmower engines. ' someone broke in and stole the lawnmower engines ' . He said to Del ' that was terrible ' . Del replies ' ah no it's ok because they broke in the following night and put them back ,' ...These were the same ones that Rodney, the plonker , bought them when he was trying to make it on his own, thinking it was a bargain...
 
Actress Dame Patricia Routledge, known for playing Hyacinth Bucket in TV sitcom Keeping Up Appearances, has died at the age of 96, her agent has said. She also starred in Alan Bennett's TV monologues and played BBC One's crime-busting Hetty Wainthropp.

The last thing I saw her in was a touching once off episode of Bookmark, where she played author Barbara Pym attending the 1977 Booker prize awards. She introduced the episode when it was repeated last year on BBC4.
 
RIP Chris Dreja, co-founder of the seminal Yardbirds aged 79, rhythm guitarist and later bass player. The band became the platform that helped launch the careers of Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, and Jeff Beck as well as other famous bands. Evolving from their shared blues background the band's breakthrough record was probably "For Your Love" in 1965, during the psychedelic era. Chris declined an invitation to join up with Jimmy Page when the Yardbirds broke up 1968, which contributed to the formation of Led Zeppelin with Jimmy finding different band members. Chris always seemed to operate in the shadows of more famous band-mates and band graduates, but his contribution was immense both as a musician and photographer of the Yardbird's American tours and later famous images of Dylan, Led Zeppelin, Andy Warhol and more.

I was a fanatical fan of the Yardbirds and its off-shoots and of Chris himself, following his career closely, even mimicking his move from rhythm guitarist to bass player with a little outfit that had an opening residency in Sloopy's, D'Olier Street for a while until I emigrated to England. A Yardbirds picture was the one I took off my bedroom wall and pinned up in my first flat in London. Sleep well Christopher.
 
even mimicking his move from rhythm guitarist to bass player with a little outfit that had an opening residency in Sloopy's, D'Olier Street for a while
If I'm reading that correctly @mathepac you were playing in a band that performed during the overlooked beat music scene in Dublin in the mid-1960s? I'm impressed!
 
Yeah, bands, from late 60s, after injuries put an end to what I was told was a promising hurling career, to 1970 when I emigrated to England. I've resurfaced from time to time abusing guitars, bazoukis and ukuleles. I suppose my greatest claim to fame, apart from appearing in a bright orange shirt in a crowd on the cover of New Spotlight magazine, was accompanying a late friend whose amhrán nua comtha as Gaeilge which placed 3rd in Gaeltacht music competition. There's a video of us out there somewhere with me helping on chorus harmonies and the odd twiddly bit on guitar. The quickest way to encourage a crowd towards the exits at family parties is to ask me to reprise some of my greatest hits! :D

[EDIT] And I meant to say you're easily impressed!!
 
Last edited:
I suppose my greatest claim to fame, apart from appearing in a bright orange shirt in a crowd on the cover of New Spotlight magazine, was accompanying a late friend whose amhrán nua comtha as Gaeilge which placed 3rd in Gaeltacht music competition.

So I theorise that mathepac is a Tipp version of MotttheHoople!
 
Back
Top