purchased prescription only medication online 2mo ago: Medicines Board Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: purchased prescription only medication online 2mo ago: Medicines Board Investiga

Indeed, regardless I would not be responding to them without having first sought legal advice.

Re: purchased prescription only medication online 2mo ago: Medicines Board Investiga

I would ring them. The regulator will be far more interested in closing down the website than to prosecute you. Sure if they prosecuted everyone who is buying some stuff online knowingly or unknowingly noone would tell them anything anymore and that's their only way of finding these webpages. Ring and ask to speak to the person in charge and ask them do you need legal advice. Imagine that suff you bought was dodgy and something happened to you. Then the fact emerged that you bought that stuff online and then everyone would point their finger at the IMB and say "and why aren't they doing anything about this".

Hi,

I purchased a prescription only medication online about 2 months ago. (Call me stupid but I didn't think it was illegal). About 2 weeks ago I got a letter from customs to say that the parcel had been sent to the Medicines board and that they would be in touch shortly.
They were - got a letter basically telling me it was illegal to buy prescription medicine in this way.
They want me to reply back to them within 2 weeks to detail:
(a) - where I bought the product (online site - to be honest I don't know if I still have the details!)
(b) - how I heard of this outlet.

They want me to do this before they 'assess my case' further.

I basically want to know what kind of trouble I'm in?
Basically could I be prosecuted and do I need to get legal representation?

Thanks,
M

Maggs,

Got the same thing in the post today. Just wondering how yours turned out ??? bit worried

Corkonian, what did you buy?

Hi,

Update - I sent on the details of the website to the IMB. They replied back that they had to destroy the medicine and if I had any issue with that to reply back. Obviously I didn't! I get the impression that they are more interested in the vendor than in me, so I would cooperate with them and give them the information.

Regards,
Maggs

According to [broken link removed];
Under the Irish Medicines Board Act 1995-2006 it is illegal to supply prescription medication through the internet. Those who buy it online are not breaking the law, but risk the items being seized by the board, which monitors the supply of such medicines.

tell em to whistle,you didnt try to conceal anything,there not illegal drugs,they shouldnt be available if there illegal,you cant buy heroin online.

tell em to whistle,you didnt try to conceal anything,there not illegal drugs,they shouldnt be available if there illegal,you cant buy heroin online.

So only heroin is illegal, then?

Thank you for enlightening me.

Sparkee your a genuis. Why buy perscription drugs online if they're so easy to get here?

OP,you are not in trouble.Tell them where you got the drugs and that will be the end of it..As stated by another poster,they are after the website. Don't waste your money getting legal advice.

Remfan is correct. I didn't need legal advice - the IMB asked my permission to destroy the medicine. I gave it and they informed me the case was closed. Thank god I didn't go to the expense of employing a solicitor!

Sparkee your a genuis. Why buy perscription drugs online if they're so easy to get here?
Stuff bought online is generally far, far cheaper.

I buy my contact lenses online. These too need a prescription. I wouldn't be very pleased if some irish board decided to confiscate them.

Contact Lenses and an eyesight prescription is WAY different than a medicines one. Do you know exactly what is contained in a medicine you buy off the internet? Theres been loads of horror stories of all sorts of fillers, poisons etc found in Internet bought Medication.

Stuff bought online is generally far, far cheaper.

I buy my contact lenses online. These too need a prescription. I wouldn't be very pleased if some irish board decided to confiscate them.

Yes, but did you guess the strength of the lenses to buy? I doubt it, one would generally have seen an optician in the first place in order to determine which ones were suitable. And even then, its not like you ingest your contacts. Silly analogy to make......

I would rather ingest something I was not sure of than put it in my eye !

...got a letter basically telling me it was illegal to buy prescription medicine in this way.
They want me to reply back to them within 2 weeks to detail:
(a) - where I bought the product (online site - to be honest I don't know if I still have the details!)
(b) - how I heard of this outlet.

They want me to do this before they 'assess my case' further.

I've just got the same letter for purchasing a supply of Tylenol Paracetamol 500mg capsules. I've done it many times before.

Is Paracetamol a prescription-only drug in Ireland? :confused:

I'd have thought a Doctor would know!!

I think that strength of paracetamol may be - the OTC tablets are only 200mg.

I'd have thought a Doctor would know!!
Lol, no, I'm a doctor of the "unreal" variety.
I think that strength of paracetamol may be - the OTC tablets are only 200mg.
No, the IMB website lists many paracetamol 500g products that are licensed for OTC sale, and as far as I can see paracetamol is not — as my letter states — "pharmacy-confined" or "prescription-only". Or else every petrol station/newsagent/supermarket in the country is in breach.

Perhaps it's a licencing issue? Tylenol (unlike GlaxoSmithKline et al) isn't an IMB-approved manufacturer. The tablets are manufactured in Thailand — as are many pharmaceuticals packaged in Ireland. They've tried making aspirin too, apparently, but found that paracetamol.

:D

I would think it's a licensing issue.

Took me a few reads to get the paracetamol joke - stick to the day job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back