purchased prescription only medication online 2mo ago: Medicines Board Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maggs065

Hi,

I purchased a prescription only medication online about 2 months ago. (Call me stupid but I didn't think it was illegal). About 2 weeks ago I got a letter from customs to say that the parcel had been sent to the Medicines board and that they would be in touch shortly.
They were - got a letter basically telling me it was illegal to buy prescription medicine in this way.
They want me to reply back to them within 2 weeks to detail:
(a) - where I bought the product (online site - to be honest I don't know if I still have the details!)
(b) - how I heard of this outlet.

They want me to do this before they 'assess my case' further.

I basically want to know what kind of trouble I'm in?
Basically could I be prosecuted and do I need to get legal representation?

Thanks,
M

Re: Medicines board investigation

I would cooperate with the enquiry, you must have an email confirmation of your order or if you paid with credit card a transaction will be on your statement. I will call you stupid because if the medicines had gotten to you who is to know whether they were genuine or just rat poison>

I see that they asked you two weeks ago to respond within two weeks, why are you only thinking about it now?

what type of meds was it.yes its illegal as many of the drugs sold online are not real meds.i.e different colour,name on XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX,coating and so on.i would send them the info they asked for and see how it goes from there.

I would get legal help, and answer all their questions. Look back in your history, old emails and old statements of how you paid.

It is illegal to import prescription meds without a licence.

I see that they asked you two weeks ago to respond within two weeks, why are you only thinking about it now?

The customs officials contacted me 2 weeks ago to inform me that the medicines board would be contacting me presently. I received the medicines board letter last Friday (6th Feb).

It was a sedative type medication purchased in a small quantity.

How can they prove that you ordered them?

You can order stuff online and have it sent elsewhere to other people.

They are on a fishing trip looking for information, it is very unlikely that they will follow up with any form of prosecution.

You should remember that you are under no obligation in law to co-operate with any investigation.

That's what I was thinking bond-007. I'm certainly not going to order any medication online again (I've learnt my lesson!). I feel if I engage in a dialogue with them, they will use the information to cause me alot of hassle and stress.

On the other hand if I thought by providing them with the required info, that they would get off my back then I would do so readily.
My problem is they haven't told me the possible implications of my misdemeanor.

... My problem is they haven't told me the possible implications of my misdemeanor.
You broke the law and ignorance of the law or any possible penalty is not a defence.

You need legal advice.

Why?

Are you now suddenly a judge, jury and executioner?

The state have a burden of proof when prosecuting an offence. You are not obliged to assist them in any way.

The state won't have access to that unless you were stupid enough to give it to them.

Why?

Are you now suddenly a judge, jury and executioner? ...
I don't know what has you so worried and exercised bond-007. I have levelled no accusations.

My responses have been directed to information supplied by OP and the questions asked, as quoted below, which high-lighted lack of knowledge of the law and lack of knowledge of penalties. All I have suggested is that OP may be liable to prosecution and needs legal advice.

I purchased a prescription only medication online about 2 months ago. (Call me stupid but I didn't think it was illegal). About 2 weeks ago I got a letter from customs to say that the parcel had been sent to the Medicines board and that they would be in touch shortly.
They were - got a letter basically telling me it was illegal to buy prescription medicine in this way.
Basically could I be prosecuted and do I need to get legal representation? ...
I believe your posts are ill-considered and your advice to OP poor and unhelpful.

Do you have agenda other than providing help and advice for OP?

Tell them you didnt buy it and someone must have sent it to your address by accident.

truthseeker, with a nom de clavier like yours, it is odd that you are advising somebody to tell lies!

There are people out there in cyberland who are making easy money, often by taking risks with the health, perhaps even the lives, of their victims. Bodies like the Medicines Board and their international partners are trying to counter their activities. Who do you suppose they are after, Maggs065 or the suppliers?

If Maggs065 co-operates with them, there is a chance (admittedly a small one) that some unscrupulous wrongdoer will be caught. If Maggs065 refuses to assist, time and money might be lost in dealing with the problem -- and we currently have public outcry about value for money in public bodies.

I deplore the attitude of bond-007, who seems to believe that it is a good thing to stand on "I know me rights" even when the protection of the public is the issue, and those charged with protecting us are hampered by lack of co-operation. Assert your rights when somebody is doing you a real wrong; otherwise, think of the general good.

truthseeker, with a nom de clavier like yours, it is odd that you are advising somebody to tell lies!

True - but I just think its a very trivial thing.

I myself bought a prescription medicine online recently. It is an OTC med in the UK and up North - but in the Republic its not available yet without prescription.
My pharmacist offered me the choice of (a) paying GP 60 quid plus paying 15 quid for precription (b) driving up North and paying cost of petrol and buying it OTC in a pharmacy there or (c) buying online.
Cheapest option was online, it was a branded medicine, happens to be available OTC everywhere except Ireland for some reason. I saw no wrong in it so I bought it online.

There's a reason why things aren't for sale, they have not passed the controls necessary to be on sale in this country, and so who are you to think you can import this stuff yourself? Its illegal, and against the law.

Maybe the Post Office caught this package, informed the authorities and was told to release the package to the OP, and that they'd look into things themselves.

Over 62% of medicines imported are fake, who knows what you are getting?

A report revealed that:

-95% of online pharmacies are operating illegally.
-94% of pharmacy websites do not have a named, verifiable pharmacist.
-Over 90% of websites supply prescription-only medicines without a prescription.
-86% of online pharmacy ‘approval stamps’ are fake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back