purchased prescription only medication online 2mo ago: Medicines Board Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Medicines board investigation

If you drove across the border there are many medicines that you could buy over the counter in a pharmacy that are prescription only in the republic.

Whats to stop someone doing this? Its no different to ordering online.

It was a sedative type medication purchased in a small quantity.

Some sedative drugs come under schedule 4 of the Misuse of Drugs Act -this makes things more serious than if you have bought something like antibiotics or anti-inflammatories.

Misuse of drugs act:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1977/en/act/pub/0012/index.html

This is a link explaining the schedules of drugs

http://eldd.emcdda.europa.eu/html.cfm/index5622EN.html

If you drove across the border there are many medicines that you could buy over the counter in a pharmacy that are prescription only in the republic.

Whats to stop someone doing this? Its no different to ordering online.

It is incredibly different. Buying from a high street pharmacy in the UK is fine. If you buy online, you have no proof that the seller is indeed a bona fide pharmacy. There is a reason that online meds are so cheap, and it's not because of lower overheads etc. etc. It's because they are invariably fake.

Buying meds online is a foolish activity and a false economy. I'd rather pay 80 euro for an FDA approved product than 20 euro for hardened flour.

Re: purchased prescription only medication online 2mo ago: Medicines board investiga

Ah sure we can all visit you in the joy after you are convicted on the basis of your signed confession. ;)

That's why the country is the way it is.

Some sedative drugs come under schedule 4 of the Misuse of Drugs Act -this makes things more serious than if you have bought something like antibiotics or anti-inflammatories...
Although no doubt well-intentioned, I suggest that posting this kind of mis-information is potentially dangerous.
The two links have nothing whatsoever to do with each other. You seem confused by Irish Law and a UN Schedule which has no relationship at all with Irish Law.

The Scheduled Substances and relevant Acts are all listed here - [broken link removed]

It is incredibly different. Buying from a high street pharmacy in the UK is fine. If you buy online, you have no proof that the seller is indeed a bona fide pharmacy.

Just to clarify, I bought a branded OTC medicine from a UK online pharmacy who are registered with the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain (link provided to registration information on Royal Pharmaceutical Society site), with a valid UK Vat number, a company registration number and all info on the site matches with public records search (pharmacy registration number matches when searched independantly etc).

Thats why I felt it was no different to buying OTC up north. The (branded) box had a batch number on it. To me it was like ordering a tube of Deep Heat online and receiving it - I was already familiar with the branding etc....
Oh and the price was the similiar as up North as well - not super cheap.

Re: purchased prescription only medication online 2mo ago: Medicines Board Investiga

Its when people buy from websites that say they're safe but really, who knows what you are getting. OTC is not the same as perscription meds imho, people will pay more for perscription meds and will go to greater lengths to get them.

Re: purchased prescription only medication online 2mo ago: Medicines Board Investiga

Hi,

Maggs here again. Thanks for all opinions. However, the information I am seeking is more on the the likely procedure/outcomes for a person in my position.

For example could there be a court appearance, fine etc.
Has anyone been in a similar situation and is familar with the procedure?

Thank you,
M.

Get legal advice. On the information posted here, no-one has the full picture - the purported product, the quantity, your position and the letters you have from C&E and IMB.

I agree with mathepac, there have been a few theads on the subject, no one here can tell you for sure, go see a solicitor and see what they have to say on the matter

Indeed, you won't find a drug on sale in Irish chemists that has not been FDA approved.

Hi,

They want me to reply back to them within 2 weeks to detail:
(a) - where I bought the product (online site - to be honest I don't know if I still have the details!)
(b) - how I heard of this outlet.

Thanks,
M

Sounds like the are interested in the people who sold the stuff to you more than you....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back