PTSB and AIB high interest current accounts vs. UB €150

Re: PTSB 10%Current Account

Obviously is too good to be true. Something here is not quite right. Don't hold your breath.

This is following AIB's same type of account but paying 5%. In fact its a good marketing ploy in that they only pay out UP TO €1500 on any account which €150 before DIRT.

Link to Interest Rates section on PTSB:
[broken link removed]

PDF of INTEREST RATES AS AT March 8th 2007
[broken link removed]

Sulo can you please copy and paste the link ?

The link to where on the PTSB website this info is ?

Last edited by a moderator:

It's not too good to be true, it's just clever marketing. 10% is only for the first year, and only on the first €1500. The €150 cash payment on offer from UB is actually a better deal if you work it out.

But AFAIK the UB deal is a once-off, the PTSB you should get every year. Right ?

And current customers can get 4 % for up to 1500 € out of if they meet the 1500 € a month to the account & 1 billpayment rule:

[broken link removed]

It's not too good to be true, it's just clever marketing. 10% is only for the first year, and only on the first €1500. The €150 cash payment on offer from UB is actually a better deal if you work it out.

Where does it say the deal is for one year?
Even if it is surely it beats the other offers?

sudo's link says it's an introductory offer. RTE say it only applies to the end of the year, which is about 9 months, reverting to 4% afterwards, so the AER for year 1 is aprox. 8.5%.

UB's €150 cash in hand better than PTSB's 8.5% of €1500 (at most, probably less) a year from now, less DIRT.

Also in the RTE link, [broken link removed] for the next three months (AER 5.81%) -- and this rate is available to existing customers too, unlike PTSB.

sudo's link says it's an introductory offer. RTE say it only applies to the end of the year, which is about 9 months, reverting to 4% afterwards, so the AER for year 1 is aprox. 8.5%.

UB's €150 cash in hand better than PTSB's 8.5% of €1500 (at most, probably less) a year from now, less DIRT.

Also in the RTE link, [broken link removed] for the next three months (AER 5.81%) -- and this rate is available to existing customers too, unlike PTSB.

Is the €150 not a once off cash dropsy for want of a better word?
I would have thought 8.5% and 4% thereafter is better than that...

Who is guaranteeing any of these deals will still be available in a year? If someone is going to switch solely for the best deal (which I think is a bad idea anyway) they can switch again in a year, based on what's available then. The best deal now has to be assessed on its immediate merits.

UB will give you €150 cash into your hand (which you can then stick in a deposit account.). Not sure how long you have to keep the account open for, but probably no more than 12 months. PTSB will give you 8.5% (less DIRT) of €1500 (about €100) in a year's time. And that's assuming you meet certain conditions and have over €1500 in your account at all times (if not it will be 8.5% of some smaller balance).

AIB offer 11% on current a/c's-short term

This seems to be a generous offer even if it's only until June.
So now you can have €1500 earning 11% with AIB and €10,000 earning 5% with Rabo. Good to see

AIB's is a time limited offer as stated above -- annual rate is 5.81% (and dropping each day.). You have to meet certain terms and conditions to avail of the offer. Effective interest rate on this (and from PTSB) is lower still as most people who qualify will have a higher balance for part of the month.

I switched to UB for the €150 today. I guess if you have enough time you can keep switching around between different banks and credit cards etc. to make a few quid for yourself.

For example my credit card gets paid off every month by direct debit and the limit is €2200, I could switch to somebody offering 9 months interest free and open a current account with AIB, deposit €1500 that I usually use to clear my credit card into an AIB current account and get ~€100 "free money"

I just switched my AIB current account to a high interest current account. Only took about 3 minutes.

I just switched my AIB current account to a high interest current account. Only took about 3 minutes.

Marvellous...so you have to ring them and ask to be put on a high interest current account?

Marvellous...so you have to ring them and ask to be put on a high interest current account?

Yes. I rang my branch and they put me through to some other place. All they have to do is change the description of the account.

Yes. I rang my branch and they put me through to some other place. All they have to do is change the description of the account.

Thanks...I'm actually on the phone right now doing it!

Back