PTSB and AIB high interest current accounts vs. UB €150

A small correction which might be of interest. Current account numbers will not be changed when signing up to the new high interest current account. This only applies to old Cash Save accounts I've just been told. I have to fill in a form to apply for this HICA.

The rate is 11% until June and then 4% until - I don't know when.

Incorrect Sherib......don't know where you got this but it has nothing got to do with Cashsave accounts?.....

I think Sherib means that one of the "current accounts" that can't be switched automatically is the old Cashsave account.

Yes MugsGame - that's correct. My current account number will not change with the new AIB HICA - I don't know anything about Cash Save accounts or what their description or status is, except what I was told by a bank employee - they cannot retain their old a/c number.
Originally Posted by Sooty
..anyone with an current account opened for a long time with AIB would be under a code 30.......the new HICA is under the code 40......you cannot switch from a 30 to a 40......know its bank jargon but thats the way it is.

What is needed is a new account number etc.

Must disagree. My current account with AIB is an old one, like 25 years, and the account number will not be changed I have been assured. But then as KalEl wrote there seems to be differences between branches tho' that shouldn't impinge on software which, presumably, is common to all the branches.

Perhaps the confusion is calling cash save accounts "current accounts" which they don't appear to be in AIB's banking lingo or so it seems.

My current account with AIB is an old one, like 25 years,

Would by any change your account have been maybe a Student Account changing over to the different levels as the years went on?

sooty

Last edited:

Would by any change your account have been maybe a Student Account changing over to the different levels as the years went on?

sooty

No, mine was a student account which has since changed but I still have to jump through a few hoops to get the HICA.

Very interesting......all student or children accounts are product code 40 within AIB......the new HICA is also in the family of the product code 40 so it should have been a straight forward swap.....did you have to change number?

Very interesting......all student or children accounts are product code 40 within AIB......the new HICA is also in the family of the product code 40 so it should have been a straight forward swap.....did you have to change number?

No apparently not. I rang last week to get them to change the account to a HICA and they told me they couldn't because there was still interest to be applied to my current account. They said if I called back on Wednesday (tomorrow) it'd be fine.
I happened to call in today and was told I'd need to provide ID and utility bills as I opened my a/c prior to the money laundering changes. They said the number would stay the same.
It started as a student account, became a graduate account and is free fees at the moment.

Yes that makes sense....your account started off in the "40" family and so can be changed over.....you will need to make sure you continue to do 1 laser transaction per quarter and 1 24 hour/internet banking transaction per quarter to qualify for the free banking.....the reason they asked for the money laundering requirements is probably coz they are constantly updating their records....

Originally Posted by sooty
The above post by Sooty seems to refer to an earlier one of mine:
My current account with AIB is an old one, like 25 years, and the account number will not be changed I have been assured.
To satisfy your persistence - my current account with AIB is > 25 years in existence. I never had a student account with AIB just a plain, ordinary, money in, money out standard current account. I wouldn't bother with the HICA if there was any question of changing my account number - fortunately there isn't. Maybe I'm just an upstanding, longstanding customer;). I'm satisfied that AIB is satisfied that my a/c no. stays the same. No offence but isn't this getting a bit boring?
Sherib

It started as a student account, became a graduate account and is free fees at the moment.

I also had a graduate account and was told that if I wanted the HICA, my account would have to be reclassed i.e. would no longer be a graduate account. I believe the only benefits of graduate account are the free fees which I qualify for anyway so I agreed to the reclass.

I did not have to provide any additional ID details but account was opened within last 10 years

Not sure if it was mentioned already but existing PTSB current account holders should go [broken link removed] in order to enable interest payments on their account.

I also had a graduate account and was told that if I wanted the HICA, my account would have to be reclassed i.e. would no longer be a graduate account. I believe the only benefits of graduate account are the free fees which I qualify for anyway so I agreed to the reclass.

I did not have to provide any additional ID details but account was opened within last 10 years

So was mine...which leads me to believe their procedures vary from branch to branch. My one is a disaster on a number of fronts!

No offence but isn't this getting a bit boring?
Sherib

Pardon me for being curious!......just doesn't make sense....anyway....will say no more.

sooty

Last edited:
When I switched to the high yield current account I was told I'd have to get rid of my overdraft facility or else I'd lose 1.5%.

Hmm. I rang their locall number and was told to contact the branch. The branch told me to write in or fill out a form in another branch. The lost my fax but received the second copy. They then rang to tell me that I had a very rare (!!) account and I couldn't change unless I changed my account number "because the system wont allow it". I told them if I was doing that I may as well change my bank...

Much humming and hawing followed. Was asked if it was a business account - replied that I'm paye. End result was that they are to ring me back.

Hi Guys, it appears there is an issue surrounding older AIB accounts being moved to the High interest account. Unfortunately the systems department never explained to Branch staff how to move these older accounts, the problem arises because the Branch try to move the account number to the high interest account and the system does not allow them. In order to move older accounts the Branch need to change the customer type to D (I think that's what It is) and the system will allow them to move you straight away. To summarise explain to your Branch that they need to change your customer type before trying to switch account types.

Hope this helps

Not the case Boombastic....nothing got to do with customer type....as I said before it is because some old AIB accounts are under a type 30 and the new accounts are under a type 40.....the system within AIB won't allow a swop from a 30 to a 40.....

Not the case Boombastic....nothing got to do with customer type....as I said before it is because some old AIB accounts are under a type 30 and the new accounts are under a type 40.....the system within AIB won't allow a swop from a 30 to a 40.....

That's strange, I had an old account which they could not transfer over, I rang my contact in Corporate Banking and they sorted it out with the branch and the IT department and that was the explanation given to me.

Has anyone who has changed their AIB account to a high interest account received anything in the post to confirm it? I switched by phone over three weeks ago, was told they would send me out some bumph, and have yet to receive anything.

Update: got home and the bumph had arrived in today's post!

Back