PTSB and AIB high interest current accounts vs. UB €150

...because our c/a with aib is a old one (and on a 30 line or something) they cannot change the a/c description over automatically and we would have to open an new a/c and therefore change all the direct debits, standing orders, maestro card etc ... there is always an obsticle in the way...

...because our c/a with aib is a old one (and on a 30 line or something) they cannot change the a/c description over automatically and we would have to open an new a/c and therefore change all the direct debits, standing orders, maestro card etc ... there is always an obsticle in the way...

This is the biggest problem with switching banks and accounts etc. They should be able to just do it without you having to bring in 2 bills, ID, marraige certificates etc. I did fill in a form to get the direct debits and standing orders sorted out by the banks but the girl in Ulster bank more or less said that somebody along the way will probably make a balls of it and I will have to keep an eye on it all myself.

They will only change solo accounts over the phone for joint accounts you have to go into the branch

I phoned into the branch, and I was told we don't actually have to go in. We just have to send in a request with both signatures.

They can't change mine until next week!
Some rubbish about interest yet to be applied to my account blocking the changeover to a HICA-apparently that's the official term. High Interest Current Account

AIB have just today upped their "HICA" rate to 11 percent - pursuant to another jump by PTSB

See above Noor -- the annual rate is 5.81% (and dropping the later you open the account.).

Ditto. Was concerned since the small print had mentioned that you might lose some benefits but this is only really applicable if your existing CA was a student account with favourable lending rates or if you had an AIB pension. There is a quarterly admin fee for the a/c but this is obviously waived if you qualify for free banking, i.e. by using your laser card and paying at least one bill per quarter (e.g. Credit card) via on line banking.

I've been disappointed by AIB on this.

First person I spoke to last week said yes no probs, we can do it for you now. I said just let me think about it, i'll get back onto you. She had all the account info, etc

Got back on yesterday, and apparently because I have what's called a "Rolloverdraft" with them, I have to call into the Branch, which I haven't done for years :(

Has anyone encountered this, does it mean that my account number, DD's, SO's etc, will have to be migrated to a new account. If so, I think I'll jump ship.

Just an update on this.....

Very angry with AIB.

Called into my Branch today, only to be told that the only way I can be facilitated is to switch my account, including having to change my long-standing, over twenty years, account number, with all that entails for my DD's SO's, Rabo money mover, Salary payments, etc.

This is due to so-called "old Accounts" such as my rolloverdraft not being facilitated by the IT people when they designed the account conversion system.

Apparently, there is no way around this, short of redesigning the software globally. This is their excuse.

Now, I find this totally unacceptable, and I told them this. So my reward for loyally banking with them for as long as I can remember is to be offered a lower level of service than applies to others, even new customers.

Needless to say, I have dispatched a letter of complaint to their Customer Service Department, but don't hold out much hope.

Why can't AIB just pay all current accounts the 4%?

Why would there have to be a process in order to switch?

I've just been on the phone with them (AIB) as instructed on their website and surprise, surprise, I have to go into the branch to change. No explanation...just the way your account is set up blah blah. They are a royal pain in the behind...

I rang AIB central low cost phone number last week and, after verifying my personal details, was transferred to high interest current account there and then on the phone. Was also told it was 11% interest until June. I mentioned as I was an existing customer would I lose any benefits as stated on website and was told no. Couldn't believe it was so simple.

I rang AIB central low cost phone number last week and, after verifying my personal details, was transferred to high interest current account there and then on the phone. Was also told it was 11% interest until June. I mentioned as I was an existing customer would I lose any benefits as stated on website and was told no. Couldn't believe it was so simple.

As I stated earlier there was a problem switching my a/c over to this HICA and I was told to call back tomorrow. Is everyone sure there is no sting in the tail with this product...that it doesn't impinge on free fees, online banking etc?

As I stated earlier there was a problem switching my a/c over to this HICA and I was told to call back tomorrow. Is everyone sure there is no sting in the tail with this product...that it doesn't impinge on free fees, online banking etc?

Hi KalEl

See my previous post on this.

Apparently, AIB's IT people were not able to include certain "Old Account" types, such as my Rolloverdraft, into the Account conversion procedure, and as this only affected a small percentage of their customer base, they launched the product anyway.

The major drawback for me personally is that to now avail of the HICA, I will have to change my account number, with all the hassle that entails for OD's, S/O's, salary payment into a/c, etc, etc.

Now, if I have to do that, I may as well switch to another provider, such as UB or PTSB, who are offering similar deals, with less restrictive free banking current accounts.

I have written a very scathing letter, by snail mail to their Customer Services Manager in Bank Centre Ballsbridge, and I will keep the board informed.

A small correction which might be of interest. Current account numbers will not be changed when signing up to the new high interest current account. This only applies to old Cash Save accounts I've just been told. I have to fill in a form to apply for this HICA.

The rate is 11% until June and then 4% until - I don't know when.

Hi KalEl

See my previous post on this.

Apparently, AIB's IT people were not able to include certain "Old Account" types, such as my Rolloverdraft, into the Account conversion procedure, and as this only affected a small percentage of their customer base, they launched the product anyway.

The major drawback for me personally is that to now avail of the HICA, I will have to change my account number, with all the hassle that entails for OD's, S/O's, salary payment into a/c, etc, etc.

Now, if I have to do that, I may as well switch to another provider, such as UB or PTSB, who are offering similar deals, with less restrictive free banking current accounts.

I have written a very scathing letter, by snail mail to their Customer Services Manager in Bank Centre Ballsbridge, and I will keep the board informed.

Thanks IPC...I actaully went into the branch today as I was nearby. Turns out I was given misinformation over the phone and wouldn't have been able to switch to a "HICA" by ringing them tomorrow.
There's a problem with any current account opened prior to the money laundering legislation. I've got to drop in the usual stuff (bill, ID etc) before they can change the account...it'll still be the same account with the same number.
Fair enough I suppose...just have to get the Colombian money sent straight to Rabo!

Originally Posted by KalEl
There's a problem with any current account opened prior to the money laundering legislation.
That's strange - my account has been with the same AIB branch for > 25 years and I only have to fill in an application form to avail of the HICA - but then I have only ever had a standard current account. There's been no mention of having to submit any documents. Maybe they've overlooked my money laundering account - joke :D. And though I haven't been over the threshold of the bank in 25 years (due to changed address) I haven't had a single problem in all that time.

That's strange - my account has been with the same AIB branch for > 25 years and I only have to fill in an application form to avail of the HICA - but then I have only ever had a standard current account. There's been no mention of having to submit any documents. Maybe they've overlooked my money laundering account - joke :D. And though I haven't been over the threshold of the bank in 25 years (due to changed address) I haven't had a single problem in all that time.

It just shows you how things really differ from branch to branch...

Yes, this is true....anyone with an current account opened for a long time with AIB would be under a code 30.......the new HICA is under the code 40......you cannot switch from a 30 to a 40......know its bank jargon but thats the way it is.

What is needed is a new account number etc.

Back