President of Ireland or President of the Republic of Ireland?

Good point. I am aware that Derry is the official name sometimes, I think maybe for the city whilst Londonderry is the county. Though that can't be right coz the road signs all indicate Londonderry.
@Purple are you sure that they refer to it as City of Derry Londonderry Airport?
Yeah, I believe the legal name for both city and county is Londonderry (not that I ever heard it referred to that growing up), though the local council decided to call themselves Derry city council or something like that a few years back

The company that own the airport of course can call that whatever they like.

Yeah, I believe the legal name for both city and county is Londonderry (not that I ever heard it referred to that growing up), though the local council decided to call themselves Derry city council or something like that a few years back

I suppose then Ryanair are like saying we are now coming into Heathrow London airport.

As an aside I wonder whether in the bars on the Waterside they actually call it Londonderry. It feels so unnatural.

Last edited:
A [broken link removed]found that;
  • Regarding constitutional preference, 58.6% of respondents support remaining in the UK compared to 29.8% who would vote tomorrow for a United Ireland (Table 4).
  • When removing those who do not know or who would not vote in a border poll, the share who wish to remain in the UK rises to 66.2%.
  • The highest share of support for remaining in the UK sits among those aged 60+ (74.6%)
That figure will rise when the Shinners get into power as Unionists won't want to be ruled by child killers and middle class Nationalists won't want to pay their crazy taxes.

• Regarding constitutional preference, 58.6% of respondents support remaining in the UK compared to 29.8% who would vote tomorrow for a United Ireland (Table 4).
  • When removing those who do not know or who would not vote in a border poll, the share who wish to remain in the UK rises to 66.2%.
  • The highest share of support for remaining in the UK sits among those aged 60+ (74.6%)
That figure will rise when the Shinners get into power as Unionists won't want to be ruled by child killers and middle class Nationalists won't want to pay their crazy taxes.
Given the UK's recent record in Iraq and Afghanistan, I would say the Unionists are perfectly happy being ruled by killers of foreign children, just not by killers of British children.

As far as I know (but I'm well open to correction on this) it's the other way around. The legal (per UK law) names are Londonderry for the city and Derry for the County.

For years the city council was gerrymandered to give a unionist majority and matters remained unchanged. When nationalists got the majority that rightly reflected demography, they naturally wanted to change the name of the city. Changing the council's name was under their own control, so easily done. Derry City Council it is. Changing the city's name is more complicated and requires a petition addressed to some woman who lives in Buckingham Palace. Apparently, she wouldn't have a problem, and would do so on demand if asked. But, of course, asking her would be a problem, as it would be a formal and public recognition of Crown Sovereignty. Which Republican theology absolutely forbids.

Outcome: the place remains officially Londonderry. But we all call it Derry. An Irish solution to an Irish problem! ;)

Given the UK's recent record in Iraq and Afghanistan, I would say the Unionists are perfectly happy being ruled by killers of foreign children, just not by killers of British children.
That's about right. Nothing spreads democracy and makes people respect you and your values like blowing the legs off children.

I see Newton Emerson covers this in today's IT.
I can readily identify with the findings. All my friends and relations in NI are Nationalists (heck they're RC, that's what growing up there is like). The majority are either employed by or retired from the public service. Their voting preferences are about evenly split between SF, SDLP and Alliance. But I know a good many of the non shinners would be very nervous of a UI (not now, maybe in the future), especially those on PS pensions. Then there is the additional fear that a narrow Yes could well bring back a bout of the Troubles and would in any case be highly disruptive. The "neither Nationalist nor Unionist" community would be even more afraid of the economic and societal repercussions of a Yes vote.

Consider Scotland. My guess is that if you asked the question "are you Scottish or British?" (both not allowed), a great majority would say Scottish. And yet they voted by a comfortable majority to stay in the union. And they only have the economic uncertainties to worry about.

IMHO there will be a second centenary of partition. (Wolfie you've been waiting more than 200 years, be patient for another 200 :) )

Which law is this?
AFAIK, that would be the Royal Charter that originally granted the name way, waaaaay back. That's why a petition to the sovereign is required to change it.

As for the County, I presume there's a Local Government Act or somesuch that specifies names of counties. Again, going waaaaay back, these things probably originated in deeds granting land in County X.

That's about right. Nothing spreads democracy and makes people respect you and your values like blowing the legs off children.
Logically, therefore, the Allies in WW2 should have scrupulously refrained from ANY action where there was an appreciable risk of blowing the legs off children. Except, that would have lengthened the war, probably increasing the overall death toll, not to mention delaying the liberation of the death camps and resulting in even more children ultimately being killed.
Ethics is such a messy subject, rarely black or white.

Logically, therefore, the Allies in WW2 should have scrupulously refrained from ANY action where there was an appreciable risk of blowing the legs off children. Except, that would have lengthened the war, probably increasing the overall death toll, not to mention delaying the liberation of the death camps and resulting in even more children ultimately being killed.
The best framework I've seen for understanding this is wrapped up in the concept of the crime of Aggression and this description by the International Military Tribunal at Nuremberg.

War is essentially an evil thing. Its consequences are not confined to the belligerent states alone, but affect the whole world. To initiate a war of aggression, therefore, is not only an international crime; it is the supreme international crime differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole.

Yea, we know why the Second World war started. Why did Afghanistan start again? (Please don't say 9/11)
T'is indeed.

Yea, we know why the Second World war started. Why did Afghanistan start again? (Please don't say 9/11)
For that to be a relevant question, you have to posit that the reason for starting a war is determinative, at least in part, of whether or not it's ok to blow the legs off children while engaging in that war!

Which is a rather tricky little proposition.

The best framework I've seen for understanding this is wrapped up in the concept of the crime of Aggression and this description by the International Military Tribunal at Nuremberg.
That's all well and good, but it doesn't address the question as to whether it's ok to blow childrens' legs off if you're responding to an act of Aggressive War waged against you.

For that to be a relevant question, you have to posit that the reason for starting a war is determinative, at least in part, of whether or not it's ok to blow the legs off children while engaging in that war!

Which is a rather tricky little proposition.
I think as long as the children don't look like us, preferably if they are black or brown and not Christian. If they are dark skinned and Muslim they are fair game for just about anything. Those seem to be the rules.
Just imagine the outcry of 2250 white kids were dying every day from not having clean water. Start there and the rest makes sense.

Back