President of Ireland or President of the Republic of Ireland?

That's all well and good, but it doesn't address the question as to whether it's ok to blow childrens' legs off if you're responding to an act of Aggressive War waged against you.
Have a read up on customary international law, war and civilians, if you are struggling to work it out on your own.

That's all well and good, but it doesn't address the question as to whether it's ok to blow childrens' legs off if you're responding to an act of Aggressive War waged against you.
The Allies dropped 7 times as much tonnage of bombs on France during the Second World War than the Germans dropped on Britain. They killed about 57,000 French civilians and injured more than 100,000. That's quite a few legs blown off.

Yep. Interesting that the longer name fell out of use for quite some time.
It is interesting that, as noted in your link, The Apprentice Boys of Derry, as Proddie and Unionist an organisation as there is on God's Green and Orange Earth, didn't use the 'London' prefix. What were they thinking!

The one thing we can all agree on is while Derry/Londonderry is on the island of Ireland it is not in the country of Ireland and while we may think it should be called Derry we do have to respect the wished of the British Citizens/Subjects that decide these things for themselves. :D

It is interesting that, as noted in your link, The Apprentice Boys of Derry, as Proddie and Unionist an organisation as there is on God's Green and Orange Earth, didn't use the 'London' prefix. What were they thinking!
I'd say they'd appreciate a reminder of that :D

The one thing we can all agree on is while Derry/Londonderry is on the island of Ireland it is not in the country of Ireland
What ?

I understand the controversy surrounding the name Derry/Londonderry but surely there can be no controversy about the city, whatever you may wish to call it, being in Ireland.

What ?

I understand the controversy surrounding the name Derry/Londonderry but surely there can be no controversy about the city, whatever you may wish to call it, being in Ireland.

Back to the start of this thread for you. You are not allowed to post again until you have read all 26 pages......

Have a read up on customary international law, war and civilians, if you are struggling to work it out on your own.
Ah, I see. It's all clear-cut then, no grey areas, and the question (the morality of blowing childrens legs off) has a simple answer, eh?

You might find it's a bit more complicated than that......

And the answer has changed over the past century. Might even change again, who knows?

Ah, I see. It's all clear-cut then, no grey areas, and the question (the morality of blowing childrens legs off) has a simple answer, eh?

You might find it's a bit more complicated than that......

And the answer has changed over the past century. Might even change again, who knows?
That was quite some logical non sequitur there.

What ?

It's in the Island of Ireland but not the Country called Ireland. It's in the Country called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. It's easy to know that when you're there, they have their Queen all over their money.

It's in the Island of Ireland but not the Country called Ireland. It's in the Country called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. It's easy to know that when you're there, they have their Queen all over their money.
And it's the least she should expect, given how much of it she has to send over there every year.

Logically, therefore, the Allies in WW2 should have scrupulously refrained from ANY action where there was an appreciable risk of blowing the legs off children. Except, that would have lengthened the war, probably increasing the overall death toll, not to mention delaying the liberation of the death camps and resulting in even more children ultimately being killed.
Ethics is such a messy subject, rarely black or white.
Ethics is very simple to understand. It's an English county between London, Cambridgeshire and Thufflolk.

I always wondered if they had an LGBT+ wing where they sing The 'Tash my Father Wore.
While dresses as the Village People, dressed as Orange Men.
A Sash and a pair of assless-chaps. Now that'd make the marching season interesting (I nearly said great crack). It might even get Micky-D up for a visit.

Last edited:
Back