Plastering prices?

Re: Plastering prices???

For a decent finish you've got a very good price.

You dont mean €16000 for labour only?-If so its a rip off.- a cookoo-land 2006 price no matter whether your in Dublin or Leitrim.

If all plastering materials and insulated plasterboards are included its probably a good price buts its dependent on the spec of the insulated plasterboards. Can you please specify thickness and thermal conductivity of boards?

You're kidding, aren't you! Outside: scud coat, scratch coat, floating coat with trowel finish. Window reveals and soffits. More than likely a plinth.
Inside: Scud coat, sand and cement scratch coat, thermal boards fixed to external walls, slabbing and skimming everything out. Where are you getting your info from? If you know good spreads who will do that for just over E5 psf give them my details. I can use a gang of their calibre full time. If on the other hand, you can get your supplies at the price that you have insinuated, also let me know. I'll have a truck there in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator:

You dont mean €16000 for labour only?-If so its a rip off.- a cookoo-land 2006 price no matter whether your in Dublin or Leitrim.

Of course its for labour only. Give us a break, you want him to supply a trowel aswell? I mean 3 weeks hard work, for 16k in cash is a decent rate.

How much do you earn from your little PAYE number? A lot more than 16k every month I'll bet. ;-)

Just to clarify.....The price is labour only!!

I recieved a second labour only qoute for €29,500 yesterday, which seems like ridiculous variation! He defo will not be getting any work from me!

I find it hard to imagine getting a quote for under 15k so think I'm pretty much there with my first fella. Three others quoting this week so I'll have a better idea after that.

Cunninghams, where are you based and where are you sourcing your materials that you think you can get an all in price for labour and materials of 16k????????????

Of course its for labour only. The man has to put bread on his table. Why should he work for less than 5k a week. Its hard work, needs good eyesight and a steady hand.

If he wanted an easy job he would work in Tescos for 9 euro an hour.

Its not as if we are in recession here or anything. Plasters deserve to be well paid.

My sister recently had a really bad plaster job redone by a plasterer. He did 2 rooms and a hallway for her. The finished results was excellent and the pricing was very good. If any of you want his details, PM me and i'll pass them on. He can give you a quote anyway.

You're kidding, aren't you! Outside: scud coat, scratch coat, floating coat with trowel finish. Window reveals and soffits. More than likely a plinth.
Inside: Scud coat, sand and cement scratch coat, thermal boards fixed to external walls, slabbing and skimming everything out. Where are you getting your info from? If you know good spreads who will do that for just over E5 psf give them my details. I can use a gang of their calibre full time. If on the other hand, you can get your supplies at the price that you have insinuated, also let me know. I'll have a truck there in the morning.

IU genuinely cant believe what im hearing-
To start with I earn roughly the average Industrial wage. Im here to tell the truth. 16000 is madness. I cannot believe the person who said we have to earn a living you know. 3 weeks work for 16K labour?...are YOU serious. If 5 plasterers were on the job and all earning the same amount on the job which is never the case then thats almost €1100 each per week and you are talking cash.....Hello that equates to a NET annual salary of c.55K annum. This of course is unrealistic because in the real world it is not divided up evenly- 2 of the 5 guys are likely to be creaming it with 3 suckers taking 4000-4500 for the 3 weeks and the 2 main guys( prob the ones sitting down doing nothing) taking 3 grand each and stuffing it in their back pockets.
Cant ye see this day is gone and is what got us into trouble with the false boom in the first place.
Dont pay it people- if you are in the east and paying higher prices seek labourers down west/ mid west. I guarantee you will get a top plastering job done on that 3000 sq foot house for 8000 sq foot. Im here as a consumer not a tradesman-Materials on the plastering side will be about 3000 euro and labour 8000.

I recieved a second labour only qoute for €29,500 yesterday, which seems like ridiculous variation! He defo will not be getting any work from me!

I find it hard to imagine getting a quote for under 15k so think I'm pretty much there with my first fella. Three others quoting this week so I'll have a better idea after that.

Cunninghams, where are you based and where are you sourcing your materials that you think you can get an all in price for labour and materials of 16k????????????

I am telling the truth-Im in the mid west. Some of these tradesmen are covering their ears and trying not to listen to the media. The actual fact is that teh ball is now not bin their hands-I know lots of tradesmen who have had to go east for work-well I say why not go west to them for the labour. 29500?- Please dont pay even half that.

Can I give you people a few examples of labourer prices in my area:
Quotations for digger contractor to dig out site, dig out foundations, back fill house and fill 70 metre open drain and lay concrete pipes in drain, spead 804/3" down around site driveway: Quotes varied from 3000 + VAT down to 1200 + VAT. I checked around and eventually did a deal for 1600 incl VAT. It was 5 days work. You have to ask why was there such variation? That was roughly 42 hours work so roughly worked out at 38/hour. Was this not enough? I mean the 3000 + guy would have been getting €71/hour. I appreciate the cost of fuel etc but 71/ hour assuming he worked the full 52 week year is nearly 150k/annum...madness. Dont pay it. I will list other labourer prices if ye wish and I understand that people in Dublin in particular are getting shafted with "Dublin Prices" but my point is you dont have to-Labourerers are crying out for work

You obviously work PAYE. If you were s/e you would factor in, insurance, holiday pay, sick pay, public liability, bank payments, paper work and other legit expenses etc. The premise of totalling up a guys wages for 52weeks of the year is a bit juvenile - even for a jumped up granola. Totalling up my doctor's take for the year would come to E262,080 [84X60X52].

It does seem that some tradesmen are still charging boom prices hoping to get a few jobs that'll keep them going as opposed those charging recession prices and getting a more steady stream of jobs. I know a guy building in Leitrim and his blocklayers are charging 45 cent a block and that was 6 months ago. There are bargains to be had out there. Anothing thing, instead of getting a plasterer who's going to just sub-contract it to Polish plasterers, why not go direct to the Polish plasterers in the first place?

You obviously work PAYE. If you were s/e you would factor in, insurance, holiday pay, sick pay, public liability, bank payments, paper work and other legit expenses etc. The premise of totalling up a guys wages for 52weeks of the year is a bit juvenile - even for a jumped up granola. Totalling up my doctor's take for the year would come to E262,080 [84X60X52].

The 16,000 quote referenced for that 3000 square foot house by somebody else was cash! I take your point completely and am actually self employed. Im going to assume your are a tradesman which is why you are getting hot and bothered. Im posting because im sick of elevated prices when I know there is value out there where both builder and client win. 1997-2006 is gone.

It does seem that some tradesmen are still charging boom prices hoping to get a few jobs that'll keep them going as opposed those charging recession prices and getting a more steady stream of jobs. I know a guy building in Leitrim and his blocklayers are charging 45 cent a block and that was 6 months ago. There are bargains to be had out there. Anothing thing, instead of getting a plasterer who's going to just sub-contract it to Polish plasterers, why not go direct to the Polish plasterers in the first place?

Joe Nonety,
Im glad there is someone out there with a bit of sense. May I ask if you know of such good polish plasterers in the mid west region? Please PM if so. Its amazing how people seem to be agitated with my posts- Unless they are tradesmen I cant see why. I posted some prices recently on a different site of blocks prices from Roadstone and Whelans (4" blocks :41 cent plus the VAT) and got branded a liar on the website. I just said make the call. And you the chances are if im getting them for 41 someone else is getting them for even less. My brother got excellent stonework done for €35/metre recently. I admittently paid almost €100 2 years ago but again that day is gone. When I posted this people went ape shi t.

we had our house plastered inside and out plus outside of garage for €13,000 cash. €5,000 for outside work and €8,000 for inside work.
the house is three storey 2,800 sq feet, the garage is two storey 800 sq feet. all internal walls are block apart from the 2 attic bedrooms and shower room which have stud walls, hollowcore first floor, so 6 double bedrooms, lounge, dining room, big kitchen diner, sunroom, big utility incl. of a downstairs shower room, hallway and landings are large, a spacious house. spent around €5,000 on materials. all external walls were coziboarded on the inside. outside of house and garage, we had corner stones plastered in and we had that framing style done around all the windows and doors. there are about 35 windows in the house and garage combined. smallish windows so i would say that involves more labour.
like the cunninghams our blocks came from whelans, good price. when the guys came to chase the walls for the electrics, as soon as he walked in he said "oh no" whelans blocks, they are the hardest to cut but defo the best quality blocks apparently.
we actually only got one quote for the plastering which was based on the fact that everyone local has used him and rated his work. as we dont live in ireland, we wanted someone we could trust to do a first class job and we did get a first class. delighted with his work and he left the place neat and tidy.

Cunninhams - my posts above sugesting the plasterer was entitled to take 20k or more for 3 weeks work were sarcastic. Pls read them again.

I TOTALLY agree with you that those days are gone.

Any tradesman taking the **** by quoting such prices will lose business very quickly.

Cunninghams,

There is no way that my job could be completed in 3 weeks! We have over 100m of external wall to be plastered outside. That scud, scratch coat and smooth plaster.

Internally, they will slab the ceilings, dry line all external walls, slab a hallway with 11ft high walls. Then, scratch coat inside (we are not slabbing internal walls), then skim coat everything.

I've been told there is about 8 weeks work. I'd be guessing it closer to 6 though.

At say 16,000 for the job thats 2666 per week (assuming 6 wks work). There will be 3 on site. That is 888 per person per week. If we assume that like most people they get about 5 weeks holidays a year (including bank holidays) that mean they will be earning 41000 each per year.

From this 41000, the running costs from the business must be deducted. Granted, plasterers don't have huge overheads, but they still have to pay for phone, van, mixer, and a few tools. We'll settle on 9k for all of that, leaving each man with 38k each.

That is basically my salary to. They are doing a skilled job and therefore I feel deserve more than the average industrial wage.

Hello RMDT,
So you are going to pay 16000 labour then to plaster your 3000 square foot house during a recession where plasterers are crying out for work?? Throw this 16 K you want to spend into whatever your mortgage is over 25 or 30 years in an environment where nobodys job is safe, go right ahead....Its your money. As I've stated already Im here to tell it how it is.

Once upon a time there was such a thing as haggling in this country. In fact it was rampant until we entered la la land 10 years ago. For some reason this became uncool and you were branded "mean" or tight if you as much as didnt throw top dollar at whatever you were buying....a serious case of keeping up with the jones has swept the country....I would apply this to mentality to what Im trying to get across in these posts. The phrase "you pay peanuts, you get monkeys" has been taken upon as gospel. What about due diligence -Whos to say that the Leitrim poster that mentioned block layers doing work at 45 cent per block isnt getting a good job done.

I guarantee you that during the boom while self building direct labourers and people that contracted out for full builds payed top dollar yet got a crap spec...the builders put in the cheapest of materials -they maxed out on their profits. This is what the self builder should be doing from the other side now.

Going back to your quote of 16000...
I am not going to argue with your maths on the 16000 based on 6 weeks divided amongst 3 plasterers. If there are indeed 3 plasterers and it them takes 6 weeks to skud, scratch and skim your house then I simply cannot argue with your sums. By all means Go ahead and pay it.

However, may I ask if you have agreed this price already and therefore want to justify paying the 16000. I had a replica job done to what you are describing, albeit with twice as much labour but Im telling you 6 weeks for that is way too long. Altough it was me that started off the rant on extrapolating figures for jobs into yearly salary I admit this is somewhat false. My point is the overcharging days are over and one would be particularly silly to pay now...the builders will be having the last laugh not you. So to zone in on my salary extrapolation would be missing the point. Why dont you try and get an alternative but worthy plasterer that has say 6-7 polish guys working with him that can do the job in 3 weeks. Why not spread your wings and go down the country for your labour.

BTW Im not including slabbing when I refer to 3 weeks work

hi ,
A friend of mine is a plasterer, he said the way things have gone ,
all of his work is drying up

Hi

Agree totally with cunninghams... the name your price days had to end in this country. If they kept going then we would have had ridiculous inflation. People were just putting their hands in their pockets and paying whatever they were asked for... never asking themselves are they really getting value for money.
Why would it be so unacceptable to ask a tradesman or builder to break down their price... i.e. how long do you think the job take? how many men working on it? Is your price labour only etc. Just trying to get an idea of how much he is expecting to take home for a for a typical weeks wage.

Back