Plastering prices?

Re: Plastering prices???

I'm really shocked at some of the incredibly low prices a few of you have gotten. Having to second what thermalcrete has said though. Our last house in a housing estate had DREADFUL plastering. Honestly, the plasterer and his gang should hang their heads in shame. The entire estate looked dreadful inside and out. Wires coming through in shower areas, lumps and bumps all over the place - fitting tiles was a nightmare.

I really thought our price was good €20k 3,100sq ft house in Cork. We supplied the plasterboard but they have fitted it. The quality is excellent. The lads are onsite early in the morning and don't leave until it's dark - 10pm one night! We're also having the 4" band around the windows which presumably impacts on the price too.

hello was just wondering if any body could help!!!! i have been quoted £15 per m2 for dry dashing my house just labour i buy materials does this sound good/bad..there is 153m2 of roughcast to be done

Without any shadow of a doubt cheap plasterers will not be giving the quality of finish they were pre recession, its not like fitting a kitchen, a very good spread will leave a pristine finish as he is charging for that, if his income is cut by thirty per cent the time he takes to complete will malso be cut. So easy to one coat plasterboard instead of two, rule only once on floating, not bother waiting to polish finish coat etc etc
A great plasterer working at 70% of his abillity will leave an adequate finish, a run of the mill plasterer doing the same will leave a very poor finish.
Be very wary of ridiculously low prices..... that smug grin at saving a pile of cash on greedy tradesmen may be very short lived.

I know a plasterer that has often been asked to come and try to "fix-up" a bad job left by another plasterer. One home-owner wanted him to come and finish off his plastering after have ran 2 separate plasterers off the job...my friend didn't take the job at the time as he was working on another house, but said that the place had been left in an awful state. I'm even starting to look out for bad plastering as any time I'm in the car with my friend, he points out bad plastering on different houses we see along the road. Its amazing the difference between a good quality finish and a dodgy plastering job....I know it seems really expensive, but its really not the most pleasant of jobs.

Personally, I don't think I would handle spending everyday standing 2-3 foot away from a wall staring at it...I would go insane!!! Not to mention the fact that most plasterers have a short enough 'shelf-life' if you like, as many have to retire early due to back problems that come with the job.

I guess it has its bonuses though...my friend is now a very competent stilt-walker so I guess if plastering work dries up, he could possibly find alternative employment..lol!!!

Thats a brilliant price.
been plastering for 19 years,used to price private houses,extensions,garages etc. 2+1 gang.recently a lot of work redoing bad work because people were going with the cheapest price.difference in prices maybe 2-3500 euros. how cheap is it when you have to get in a proper tradesman to redo crap work........take tax and prsi out of these weekly breakdown of figures.....

I guess it has its bonuses though...my friend is now a very competent stilt-walker so I guess if plastering work dries up, he could possibly find alternative employment..lol!!!

I got a 'plasterer' who also had another profession too he was a total clown.

How much would any of you think I should be paying for a 4500 sq feet house including garage?

hi folks, first time poster and have found the above info helpful. Looking at getting plaster work done in a 1200 sq foot semi. every internal wall needs doing (3 bedroom house). I have been told that what needs to be done is a skim coat. as far as i know the existing effort is plasterboard covered with a skim coat but there is a rough looking finish (which i'm lead to believe was all the rage in the 1980's when the house was built). can anyone estimate how much this is likely to cost?

Just a query on expressing the sq meterage or footage in these posts. When someone says for example they are getting a 2000 sq ft house plastered, it that figure the surface area of walls and ceiling to be plastered or the footprint of the house. I'm getting quotes for plastering at the moment, and want to be able to compare like with like when it come to the area.
Thanks,
Geri.

There has always been a system of pricing plastering by the sq ft of the footprint of a house in Ireland, which is or was very odd but the accepted way. I priced by the area of wall to be plastered, which makes sense of course. I bet if you got ten plasteters in to quote you would be lucky to find one who knew how to actually measure up a job. If you do find one who can chances are he would also be the one who could actually plaster.

Hi Lak,
Thanks for clearing that up. Got job priced yesterday by a plasterer who comes highly recommended. Its a two storey 115 square meter footprint, inside plastered, outside rendered. It took him 2 and half hours in the house to survey for the quote. He was meticulous about checking everythink, and has pointed out some areas that he would need to do extra prep work on first. There is a double height living room area that will need scafolding in order to reach the apex ceiling. We already have the scafolding ourselves but he will need to set it up and move it around etc. He quoted 7000. There will be three of them, and he says it will take about three weeks. He can start immediately which is what we need. I get the impression from him that he is very serious about providing a good service. Does the price seem reasonable? (Waiting for other plasterers to get back with quotes, but they in no way surveyed the job the way this man did and are himming and hawing about when the would be available to do the work)
Thanks,
Geri

hey geri,its very hard to get an acurate pricing structure on jobs in this climate, if lads are quiet they will price low so they have work, and if they are busy, then they will price normally,i would ask for references or find out something about their previous work. recomendations are the best way to go, from people you know and trust.if a guy takes that long to look at a job and goes through it with you in detail then he sounds legit,but as i said try and get recomendations if you can

Thanks Lak and Jab1
These guys came highly recommended. The others who surveyed the job have come back and said they will not be availble for weeks. Too late for us. So, they have started and all going well so far. They are very fussy and a bit moaney about how the plaster slabbing has been done, but I have to say the work they are doing looks really good,
Geri.

If they are complaining about the slabbing then they sound OK to me, that goes with the territory.
The best indication of good plastering : Do they clean the windows ? they should be spotless always at the end of the day if they got splashed.

Are the window boards protected and cleaned ?
Is the plaster "finish" absoluetly flush with the door frames,(not the render undercoat but the skim finish)
Are the internal angles at the corners straight
Are the ceiling lines straight
Are the skirting board lines straight
(check them when they are not there)
Contrary to belief a wall or ceiling should not have a glass polished surface, if it has it has been overworked and probably have many imperfections.
Do they clean out all the electric sockets and the floors ?

If you have a vaulted high ceiling in one room ensure it is adequately insulated both between rafter and over rafter, and avoid downlighters, or this room will be an ice box...this is absolutely critical and the one and only opportunity you will have to do it right.

All tell tale signs of a good spread !

Hi,
I got a quote of 4000-4500 for labour alone for putting insulated slabs on both ceilings and external walls and newly skimming the whole house, all ceilings and all walls.
We also made 5 windows bigger so they need to plaster around them and add reveals to 3 of them.
does that sound expensive.
I am supplying materials.

I
Hi,
I got a quote of 4000-4500 for labour alone for putting insulated slabs on both ceilings and external walls and newly skimming the whole house, all ceilings and all walls.
We also made 5 windows bigger so they need to plaster around them and add reveals to 3 of them.
does that sound expensive.
I am supplying materials.

You haven't specified the size of the house. How did the job turn out?

Back