Noor77's personal budgeting thread

Re: The dangers of impulse buying!

Yes Missie, it was.

Feel free to chastise me, I am sure Clubman will ;)

I ended up buying Aloe Vera capsules, disney plasters, evening primrose oil, shower gel and a sponge!

I can kind of justify the evening primrose oil and aloe vera, but I didn't need the other stuff.

And I even managed to forget the lozenges!!!

No criticism - just a question and an observation...

Can you explain why you bought all that stuff - and forgot what you originally went in for? Seems to me that if you feel that you're not managing your finances as well as you could then incidents such as this could be a significant contributory factor and so getting to the root cause could help you gain control of your situation.

Re: Why;

I think it's just because I see these things and think to myself ....mmmmm, I'd quite like that. And, because I am relatively new to the whole realm of budgeting, my neurological 'NO' sensors are not really up to scratch yet. But I'm working on it! I would be more worried about myself If I was doing this while in a debt situation, but the occasional lapse in budgeting is probably to be expected, although should't be consistently tolerated!

....mmmmm, I'd quite like that

If you are trying to operate to a weekly budget at the moment did that not also come to mind at the time?

ah i was selling wehn i was 5 noor, learned the value and fun of money early

i just rang a broker there and got a quote for € 1770 for the insurance this year, i actually have the licence 6 years!

just spent the difference on a holiday to Ukraine,, Belarus and Poland!

No Clubman, unfortunately it didn't :( Maybe I was a bit hormonal or something but it just completely slipped my mind!

I WILL DO BETTER!
I WILL DO BETTER!
I WILL DO BETTER!
I WILL DO BETTER!
I WILL DO BETTER!

Nice holiday Gar :)

re: car insurance

Gar, ring more than one company. In fact, ring as many as you can and then play them off against one another. Its the only way to go. Yes, its tedious and time consuming but it really could save you hundreds. There was a thread on these boards a while back giving a list of all the main insurers in Ireland. Another thing worth considering is putting a female driver on to your policy as a named driver. Sounds crazy, but a guy I work with, his premium came down by 200 just by him adding his girlfriends name on to the insurance!! So in effect, it was cheaper for him to insure 2 people than just himself alone. It seems he was told that men aged between 25 - 34 are the highest risk category, but that by adding a female named driver who 'might' drive the car occasionally he was removed from that category.....like I said, madness but there you go!

Noor, Noor, Noor - move away from the cash register and leave the shop! It looks like you can be really good for a few days, but then have a big blow out when you buy things you dont really need. Do you use all these beauty products, or do they end up being used once or twice and then sitting on the shelf? How has your budget gone since last Friday?

Re: money money money

Hi Bluebean

I don't think €30 constitutes a really big blow out??? Or am I wrong?

Since last Friday I have spent €135, €15 over budget but still a vast improvement on what this figure would have been in the past.

Next week it's the €120 or bust!

Re: re: car insurance

yes but if i add a girl to the policy does that mean that i have to automatically start applying make up while driving , and nattering on the mobile, and driving around corners without indicating...and driving so slow i force some poor lad to overtake me and crash ;)

re

now now Gar, and there was me trying to be nice to you!!! But if you're going to start slating female drivers then I'll have to have a re-think!

Noor, 30 euro isn't a major blow out, but it has put you over budget, thats the bottom line.

Re: re: car insurance

Poor Gar,

you've obviously never had much to do with low maintenance girls...we never do that stuff!

I am off to watch Milan Barros, cost: FREE!!!

Total spent today thus far: €5.40 - of which €2 was my Lotto contribution.

AND I brought in my own lunch for the second time this week. Did this for the first time last week. See, I'm not all bad Clubman ;)

I don't think €30 constitutes a really big blow out??? Or am I wrong?

Depends on what proportion of your weekly budget figure this was I suppose?

and your a liverpool fan and all noor, sure it might be getting nearer the time to pm u my number n we could go for a budget coffee and discuss finances!

go on the reds!

go on the reds

Well Noor,

Like myself had a good night out last night on 2 drinks only. It was a great match, thoroughly enjoyed it.

As for Patricks Day I dont have to worry as Im working, and come evening time i think i would prefer to stay in with a few drinks, our part of the country can get quite rowdy on days like these and i just couldnt be bothered. Nice pizza, wine, and whatever cheap drink we can find.

Re: go on the reds

Good Morning

No major blowouts yesterday, although I did buy Hello magazine, but only because there was a free bar of chocolate on it!

Anyway, payday today .....usually by payday I have less than €50 in my account, but today I had €200...so I'm doing something right at least.

Re: Paddy's Day, I don't really like going out on this day...it's too busy and pure chaos. I'll be watching the parade highlights on tv with a campari soda and some mint icecream :)

I'm not a Liverpool fan per se, but I do like them..and they would be my favourite premiership side definitely.

Noor

Was dragged out last night to see the matches.
Ended up being a good night!Had Pizza as well. Spent
€15.
I'm not really into soccer but fair play to liverpool!!
Think I'm going to a house party on Paddy's night not sure about the day yet!

Yes I did thanks Melybaby...and I have cut way down on magazines and newspaper expenditure. To tell you the truth it was more the bar of chocolate on the magazine that caught my eye yesterday - 100g Lindt Dark Chocolate with Orange and Almond slivers ....mmmmmm :)

Magazines

Regarding magazine purchases, I found I saved a fortune when I took out subscriptions. Not all mags have a subscription service I'm sure, but some of them give a discount.

Secondly, if you know it's in the post at home, you're less likely to wander into a newsagent and buy (insert crap title here).

Imperator

Re: Money

Imperator - I am not too sure why you would take out a subscription to a magazine that you thought was cr@P ...

I think you have me pigeon-holed as a purchaser of 'gossip' magazines ....but I am just as likely to buy National Geographic as I am to buy Marie Claire!

Anyway, magazines are slowly disappearing from my life :)

I'm allowing myself €120 to last from today until next Thursday ....but...in addition to that I have to allow myself an extra €55 for non-discretionary travel costs (return train ticket). I will also be going clothes shopping on Saturday for the first time in a long while and I have saved up €100 for this purpose over the last 5 weeks so technically it isn't part of my budget

Back