Noor77's personal budgeting thread

well noor

now that you have all this spare cash floating around fancy blowing some on a toy boy?

well im 26 so a bit of a toyboy

told i look like ray liotta, dont know if that's a good or a bad thing!

sorry that "ouch" was meant for a few posts earlier...

don't know how it ended up there. must not have refresehed before posting or something.

Anyway Noor77 I Think what you are doing is great but you really do need to disipline yourself and stick with it.

If it's any use to you Myself and Mrs Cushtie get by on €260 a week for general day to day living expenses after all the big stuff (mortgage, loans etc etc)has been paid. it breaks down as follows

€80 food
€45 Bills (Esb, Gas, Chorus, Bin, Tv License etc etc)
€30 Petrol
€105 left over to spend as we wish / need.

Re: Progress

Okay...I managed to save €300 over the last 5 weeks as a result of various cutbacks. With this money I have bought €300 worth of prize bonds. I know Clubman is going to tell me I should have done something different with it but I chose the prize bonds for a few reasons:

1. I can't cash them in for 3 months
2. I can get more whenever I have spare cash - I won't be tied to a fixed figure monthly etc...
3. I can indulge my Cinderella side by fantasising that I might win the prize bond jackpot!

Also, as of February, I increased my SSIA contribution from €20 to €80 and plan to hike this up further in June (to €200)

All in all, I'm not doing too badly :)

p.s. Gar123...I think you are confusing AAM with the Ask About Dating website ;)

I know Clubman is going to tell me I should have done something different

No - well done on saving this amount and locking it away. Don't leave it in Prize Bonds for too long though since they don't earn any growth, don't guarantee any prizes and are only redeemable at their nominal face and not their real value (i.e. the redemption value falls as inflation eats into it). Perhaps when you save more than €1,000 in this way you could consider one of the high yielding deposit accounts in the best buys list.

Best Buys

ClubMan,

Those Best Buys need updating.

For the High Yield Northern Rock its states 3% on there website.

That's kind of what I was thinking of doing Clubman. I want to get €1,000 together in Prize Bonds and then open a SmartSave account with BOI, or maybe even just a regular Post Office Savings Account. I have to say, I wouldn't be too interested in any of those internet banks as I have a very sceptical streak ;)

I wouldn't be too interested in any of those internet banks

"I have to say, I wouldn't be too interested in any of those internet banks as I have a very sceptical streak
"

Snap !

You are doing lots right....dont go and spoil it by handing over your loot to some phisher

Noor, See you over in AAD ( I'll be the one with the cold wet nose :D )

Re: I wouldn't be too interested in any of those internet ba

haha..I can see this whole AAD thing taking off! But would Crufts not be more your scene with that wet nose ElderDog?! ;)

I'm not really in the market for a new Mr. Noor at the moment though. I'm very low maintenance and that scares most guys. Ahd yes, I DID say LOW maintenance!

Anyway, by December I hope to have €3,000 in savings of one sort or another (not including SSIA). At least I seem to be getting my act together ...

fair play on the prize bonds noor

i buy them as bithday and chrimbo gifts for all my nieces and nephews.

not the most exciting thing to open on chrimbo morning but when playstation 13 is out in a few years they will have the cash to get it!

SSIA

Hi Noor,
this thread is brilliant! As you get 25% on top of your contributions on the SSIA, and you have proved to yourself that you can budget, why not go all out and max your contribution now? You are throwing money away :)
I like the Prize Bonds thinking, but only AFTER you max the SSIA. Don't wait till June - do it today.

cheers,
Diziet

Re: SSIA

Thanks Diziet

I'm actually suprised at the popularity of this thread myself. Maybe it's because it doesn't deal with debt, but deals instead with budgeting to save and with managing your lifestyle according to your means etc... It probably hits a note with a lot of people who aren't actually in debt but know that they could be doing a whole lot more with their money.

Re: Best Buys

Those Best Buys need updating.

Yes - I've been meaning to get around to doing this! Real soon now... :eek:

You are doing lots right....dont go and spoil it by handing over your loot to some phisher

Are you serious or being sarcastic? I've dealt with Northern Rock several times now and have always found them find. I can't remember if they participate in the relevant [broken link removed] or if deposits with them are covered by a UK equivalent but it might be worth checking. I certainly would not equate NR or any of the online banks mentioned in the list with phishers!

but only AFTER you max the SSIA. Don't wait till June - do it today.

Totally agree.

not the most exciting thing to open on chrimbo morning but when playstation 13 is out in a few years they will have the cash to get it!
Assuming that the inflation rate which eats away at the value of the bonds each year doesn't push the PS13 out of their reach.

Prize Bonds

Ah Rainyday, don't put a dampner on it all now ;)

Noor - you seem to be doing really well. Give yourself a pat on the back! Just bear in mind that it's important to have fun too. I've heard of people keeping a fun fund for the bad times, it's something I'd keep in mind if I were you

Re: Prize Bonds

Give yourself a pat on the back! Just bear in mind that it's important to have fun too.

Yeah - console yourself with the thought that a pat on the back is free too! :lol

Re: Prize Bonds

Okay, I think we all know at this stage that Clubman isn't too fond of prize bonds!

I have to say though, when I was buying them I was so tempted to hit the shops!!! It's hard life ;)

Back