Noor77's personal budgeting thread

Re: I wouldn't be too interested in any of those internet ba

"Are you serious or being sarcastic" ... Serious

"I certainly would not equate NR or any of the online banks mentioned in the list with phishers! "....Neither would I but many of them are attractive targets for phishers.

eDog

P.S.

Anyone wanting to kill a few minutes,

Just for fun,

( Only a laugh you understand )

Try to google your credit card number.

Re: money money money

I didn't think you were being sarcastic either ElderDog.

I think I have come to a bit of a crux in my new existence as a budgeter - over the next 1 1/2 weeks I have a birthday, an anniversary, a work night out, a medical bill ...and St. Patricks Day :(
I'm just wondering how I'll manage, as I want to save a little over that period as well. It's giving me a headache just thinking about it. I also have three birthdays coming up in April...and a city break.

For a low maintenance gal you have a hectic social life :D

Any road and up, you dont have to come out positive every week do you ? If you are up every quarter then thats very good in my book.

( cue the strict budget brigade )

When I say I have a birthday coming up, I generally just mean I have a birthday present to buy, as opposed to a mad razzle dazzle night out! Although in saying that, two of the April birthdays will have parties attached to them

Re: I wouldn't be too interested in any of those internet ba

Try to google your credit card number.

Not a sausage.

I'm just wondering how I'll manage

You'll need to prioritise matters and stick to a plan. If you can't afford everything that you want to do then something's gotta give.

Re: money

Hmmmmm...very funny.

You will all see me before next week though - I will be the one busking outside Brown Thomas in Grafton Street in the hope of getting a few shekels together to buy some presents!!!

Don't fancy my chances, but maybe some tourists might take pity on me ;)

re

Noor, I know you said you didn't really want to do a second job (I know exactly what you mean when you say you've already done a days work), but how about babysitting even one evening a week? This is something I am hoping to do shortly. I figure if it was during the week, then the children would be in bed by 9.30/10 and then you just have to be listening out for them in case they wake up or need comforting. You could earn yourself up to 50 euro extra per week doing this if you found a family that suited you/that you suited.
Obviously you would need to have some experience with children - have you ever babysat before?

I have not started this myself yet as I am trying to gauge how much I can charge in my area.

Re: re

Hiya Bluebean

Am a regular Mary Poppins as it happens! I was a Kids Rep in France for 8 months about 4 years ago. It was crazy and I loved it but I would NOT do it again !!! :)

Anyway, no babysitting for me. Have hung up my Mary Poppins umbrella for the forseable future ;)

Yeah €50 extra a week would be great. It can be difficult to stick to a budget.
I have still stuck to my budget of €120 this week.

But next week will have to pay car tax,get tyres for car etc which comes out of the money that I wanted to save!!..

To win the lotto would be nice!!!

Yes, but €50 a week for the stress of minding other peoples children is possibly not really worth it :)

How did you break down your €120 Missie? And did you end up spending it as planned?!!

Yeah oddly enough I did break it down as planned...

€30 for petrol

€30 for food,bought alot from of fruit and veg from the market this week.Don't eat meat.

€42 spent that last Friday night. Bought some wine and we had it in the house before we headed out. €12.
Then went to a gig €10. Had two drinks €10. Ended up in a club,knew the bouncer at the door,so got in free!Had another drink €5.Taxi to and from town €5. There were alot of us out so it was cheaper.That night I did watch what I spent so it was a cheap night for me.I suppose it was late when we headed out so I didn't partake in any rounds..

€10 Mags,Sunday papers..Had €8 left.

Next week I doubt I will be as efficient especially with Paddy's day coming up

Well done Missie!

I know what you mean though about St. Patricks Day bringing a few financial "problems". One minute you're floating along nicely with your budget then something crops up. The next post will be from someone telling me I should have money put aside to deal with any crop ups!!!

Noor

re

Well, St. Patrick's day is hardly an unexpected crop up now is it :) ?

Jokes aside, seen as it is on a Thursday I don't see that I will spend as much as if it were on a weekend day. I'm working on the Friday anyway so can't go to mad on Thursday night!

Well done Missie, you've done well with your budget. I know what you mean about good weeks and bad weeks though - I have car insurance in about 2 weeks time which means that I've been broke (and will be broke) for the whole of March trying to pay it all off in one go (500). Oh well, Lotto is over 3 million tonight, one can dream anyway.......!

Bluebean - Clubman reckons the Lotto is a "tax on innumerates"... so perhaps he won't want you to be tempting us all ;)

You are right about the potential savings on a Thursday Paddy's Day as opposed to Friday one. I'm not sure that these would be reaaaaaaaaaaally significant though!

bluebean, good on ya suffering a bit and paying off in one go, so many people go down the laon to pay in surance route and pay so much more

i got a quote last year for € 3500 on a pp rover 1.6 !! full licence 4 years but then i am a man!

ended up buying a old mini for € 1500 insurance €1500 tax € 180 on the road in the best fun ive had then sold it for a profit after 6 months

still not looking forward to this years quote!

re

My God, that is very high insurance Gar! I definitely appreciate being female when it comes to car insurance!

I have my license 2 years now and between that and my age increasing (naturally!) the diffence in my insurance has been huge. First year I got insured in my own name I was 23, 3 years named driver experience and I paid 1550 euro for third party, fire and theft cover. By the following year I had passed my test, and got comprehensive cover for 650 euro!! That was after a lot of haggling and playing companies off against each other. They just seem to pick a figure out of the air, and seems to change every time you ring them. By the way, well worth ringing instead of just going by internet, often a lower premium when you're on the phone for some bizarre reason.

I used to do the old downpayment + then 10 months direct debit but now that it has come down to a reasonable sum I try to just bite the bullet and pay it all off in one go. Makes for a pretty miserable March usually, but worth it to have the freedom of a car really :)

You seem very mature for a guy of your years Gar.....that's intended as a compliment by the way ;)

Had a bit of a disaster yesterday ...went into the chemist to get some throat lozenges and ended up spending about €30. Feeling very shame-faced about it all.

:(

Back